Detroit Lions @ Dallas Cowboys 8:15 pm

T&C

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

How does Joe Buck definitively know that Decker didn’t report from that reply? Maybe someone can explain something I don’t understand. 

In the replay you see the two Lineman far away from the play walking to the ref. They were clearly reporting. The ref then starts to walk away toward the line of scrimmage right when the OT ran up with the rest of the players. He couldn't have spoke to him. It looked like the player assumed he was good. Perhaps by the other players interactions but I think YOU have to be the one to report. Not somebody on your behalf. 

Just now, balln said:

Can a player report on behalf of multiple players?

even if he did report the ref said it’s still illegal for him to be a receiver - hes ineligible in that formation

He would have only been ineligible because he didn't report. Had he reported it would have made the play clean.  

Lmao. At the end they showed two lineman by the refs (one being 68)  and then #70 comes running in. ***** Aikman goes there it is #70 checked in the other guy didn’t like he could hear what was going on down there. Total bull####

Edited by BananaB
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, balln said:

even if he did report the ref said it’s still illegal for him to be a receiver - hes ineligible in that formation

This.  Even if the ref screwed up and didn't hear him report, the formation was illegal as-is.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Yep. Going for Two points wreaks of desperation. Never play desperate football

its the opposite of desperate its ridiculously aggressive which is how they played the whole game.  

they were all out on defense with pressure...every play leaving everyone singled up on the outside.  

this was detroit saying we are just going for it all night from start to finish.  They lost on a Technicality.  Its a shame because they made the play to win the game.  

no idea who declared eligible at the end but that is an awful way for the officials to change the outcome the flag was thrown 2 minutes after the play.

if these two play again it would be in detroit, I would like to detroit in that game.

3 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

How does Joe Buck definitively know that Decker didn’t report from that reply? Maybe someone can explain something I don’t understand. 

Yeah good question, the reply shows him talking to the ref while Buck is simultaneously saying you can see he didn’t report. Skipper, Decker. He must be confused.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

well Dan Campbell has some huevos grandotes I'll give him that.

He just cut off his nose to spite his face just now though.

Kick the extra point fcol.  After that not reporting debacle that should have been a given. He was NOT changing his mind at all.

That and the not reporting will be a grand topic in DTW tonight. I feel for their fans. Sucks to lose like THAT especially. 

woulda coulda shoulda galore

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, balln said:

Not according to the rules analyst 

He was saying you could call either penalty. But both penalties are a result of him not reporting. When he wasn't covered by the WR he became eligible but he never reported so he couldn't be eligible. So had he done so it would have made him eligible and the formation legal. They're explaining exactly what I said earlier right now.  

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

going for it at the 7 just shows that Campbell has no faith in their ability to win in OT, dude clearly wanted to go home, win or lose. 

Exactly. He did the math in his head and knew that his defense was fading fast.

This was his best chance for the win.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

That is about as undisciplined as you can get. As Aikman said, they practice that all week. How do you not make sure THAT guy reports? 

Unfortunately, it looks like he did in fact report in and the ref's got the number wrong lol.

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think this is correct 

Aikman was wrong twice … he did report and it wasn’t an illegal formation 

Right, I hear people talking about illegal formation, but the ref didn’t call it. So I don’t understand people saying “it was an illegal formation anyway”. That’s not what they called, so the play would have stood. 

8 minutes ago, muppy said:

well Dan Campbell has some huevos grandotes I'll give him that.

He just cut off his nose to spite his face just now though.

Kick the extra point fcol.  After that not reporting debacle that should have been a given. He was NOT changing his mind at all.

That and the not reporting will be a grand topic in DTW tonight. I feel for their fans. Sucks to lose like THAT especially. 

woulda coulda shoulda galore

The Lions could've been flagged 15 yards on that 2 pt conversion and Campbell would've still gone for it.  There's a fine line between aggressive and stupid.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, balln said:

The ref commentator dude was saying because Decker did NOT report as eligible, there were a bunch of different penalties; the fact that he was ineligible and uncovered = penalty, the fact that he was ineligible and downfield = penalty, and the fact that he was ineligible and caught the ball = penalty.

But if he reported as eligible, which the replay made it look like he did, all of that is washed away. He was legally lined up as a tight end and the refs just screwed up (again, IF he reported as eligible which it looks like he did on replay but you don't really know unless you heard what he said on the field).

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

Right, I hear people talking about illegal formation, but the ref didn’t call it. So I don’t understand people saying “it was an illegal formation anyway”. That’s not what they called, so the play would have stood. 

Aikman said so after the play… so people just repeating that … But appears he was wrong about that as well

Just now, SirAndrew said:

The ref didn't call it because they thought the lineman was ineligible.

If that lineman was indeed eligible, it would have been an illegal formation flag.  This article explains it well: https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2012/5/10/3012755/inside-the-clemson-offense-tackle-eligible-formation#:~:text=Covered and uncovered are as,eligible to receive forward passes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Covered- Ineligible 8 , the WR is covering the LT "8" which makes him ineligible 

X        8XOXX            X

X       X          X

X

Not Covered (What the Lions did)  with 7 men on the LOS means the LT "8" is now eligible. Since he did not report as such it was an illegal formation. 

8XOXX     X         X      

X           X                X

X

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Covered- Ineligible 8 , the WR is covering the LT "8" which makes him ineligible 

X        8XOXX            X

X       X          X

X

Not Covered (What the Lions did)  with 7 men on the LOS means the LT "8" is now eligible. Since he did not report as such it was an illegal formation. 

8XOXX     X         X      

X           X                X

X

But it looks like he did.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Wow

It’s complete horse 💩…either the ref is an incompetent moron and should be fired immediately for not knowing how to ref a game or he’s dirty and blew off decker clearly trying to report. Until the NFL holds refs accountable for making mistakes we will always have this BS that taints an otherwise awesome sporting event. 

Fix the problem by making them full time and accountable to get suspended and fired for doing a bad job. No more “tenured” lifetime gigs for these dudes with no repercussions for sucking at your job 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Mikie2times said:

Well, nobody can actually speak to what somebody else said. But this part of it is pretty black and white. 

The ref ignored the Olinemen that clearly went over to him before the play it wasn’t to wish him a happy new year or tell him you’ve called a great game.  

Others will tell you it flat out looks like they were in the bag for Dallas.

What would we say?  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.