LA doesn't care about the Chargers

PromoTheRobot

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I know, shocking, right?

The Peacock exclusive ratings are out. Overall the game had an average viewership of 7.2 million viewers. But of that number 1.12 million were from just the over the air simulcasts in Los Angeles and Buffalo.

Buffalo, TV market rank #54, has 632,110 TV households, 374,000 of which were tuned into the game. That's 59.2%.

Los Angeles, TV market rank #2, has 5,838,090 TV households, 746,000 of which were tuned into the game. That's 12.8%.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2023/12/peacock-nfl-ratings-seven-million-bills-chargers-viewership/

lol pfft. Not in the least. It was pure greed and the Spanos the owner IMO being a douche. 

Don't get me started on the rift between san diego and the "LA" Chaagahs.

Pathetic attempt to extort the people of san diego into paying for an inferior product  and they were NOT having it. It  could  have been predicted by anyone not blinded by GREED I'll say it again.

Edited by muppy

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

San Diego didn't care about them either, so they should feel right at home.

Socal in general LOVES a winner. The Chargers were not doing enough of that to keep peoples interest in view of "other interests" such as baseball, college sportss,  surfing, skiing, biking etc etc etc

It is what it is.

7 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I’ve always seen the heart of NFL fandom being the Midwest. The west coast doesn’t care, the south is all about college ball, and the northeast has fair weather fans imo. I couldn’t agree more about the west coast, but I think sports just aren’t all that important in most of the larger cities. 

For all those areas that you don't think care enough, the league is printing money. I think your generalizations are probably off a bit.

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

For all those areas that you don't think care enough, the league is printing money. I think your generalizations are probably off a bit.

You’re not wrong, there’s a lot of money and huge media markets in all of those major cities. The current economic structure of the NFL means money rolls in from cities like LA, Houston, and Nashville. My generalizations were based on TV viewership, and more speaking to the fact that many regions of the country don’t have rabid NFL fanbases in the same manner as the rust belt. The league makes a fortune in those other places anyway.

It’s not that no one cares in other regions, it’s just not part of an entire culture like Buffalo fandom is. I’ve been around rust belt team fans quite a bit, and it’s a different breed imo. I’ve also known Giants fans who quit watching the team the moment they’re not in Super Bowl contention, only to return when they win. The people of Buffalo, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh discuss every win and loss at the water cooler every Monday, even if the team has been losing for years, but that’s not how the NFL makes money. 

Edited by SirAndrew

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Time to move the Chargers someplace else who will appreciate them and pay for a new stadium with many PSLs.

The should move to Fresno. Two words: tax incentives. Plus, when the high-speed rail finally gets built, there would be an actual reason to visit Fresno. 

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Gregg said:

When all of these teams were moving a few years back. St. Louis Rams to the LA Rams. The Oakland Raiders to the Vegas Raiders. The San Diego Chargers to the LA Chargers. If the league wanted two teams in LA (which isn't a great NFL market to begin with) then it should have been the Rams and Raiders in LA. The Rams have a long history in LA, and they do have a fanbase there. The Raiders also have some history in LA and also have a fanbase there. The Chargers have neither a history with LA nor a fanbase there. The Chargers would have been better off in Vegas and building a fanbase in that market as they would be the only team representing Vegas. Basically, starting over in the sin city.

The Raiders were smart to win the race to Las Vegas. They will do just fine there. Another loss in a long line for the Chargers. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Dean Spanos is weirdly nepo-rich and kind of awful...based solely on my Tempo 1st hand experience serving him and his front office in a private party the night before a game (sometime in the 2000-teens). I was actually warned beforehand by his chief handler not to address him directly about anything. He was incredibly aloof. And, more importantly, a truly awful tipper (when an entire shift was one single party/check, the tip was one's entire wage for the night). That dude did NOT interact with his "employees" at all during an entire game on the TV upstairs (aside from his well-paid marionette).

Pretty sure this was 2014, so the game was a Saturday night baseball or college football matchup that the owner had an interest in. Memory is imperfect, so I can't say for sure. Just seemed ultra toxic organizationally, compared to the many other orgs I've served over the years.

16 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Yes, the NFL has too many teams, the talent pool is too diluted.  They have screwed up the quality of the product, the problem is, nobody cares enough to stop watching.  

Once the Saudis get done destroying the balance of the golf world, they should take a swing at the NFL.   If they could pull off what they did to the PGA and pull a handful of top QBs to an alternate league, the NFL could crumble the way it deserves to.   Imagine for a second if they pulled Mahomes and Allen to an alternate league and then landed some of the top college guys, who wouldn’t have to enter the NFL draft and can get paid more.  It could disrupt the NFL faster than it did golf.   All it would take is a well timed strike, catch a year when a couple of big QBs are hitting FA and there’s a solid young crop in college.   Think about last year, they could have poached Lamar Jackson, CJ Stroud, possibly Rodgers, Brady, and had Herbert and Burrow in their sites, pulled in guys like Flacco etc as other guys.  The league would blow up quick.

?

I cannot imagine any NFL player ever having any desire to live in an Islamic state.

That's just the players. Their wives would revolt.

Very difficult to get people with much more muted lifestyles, ie State Dept and military families to go there.

20 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

If you polled Western Pa people, they all consider the Ohio border to be the starting gateway to the Midwest--they still consider themselves to be northeasterners, even if barely across the line. 😀 

Looking back on growing up in western New York, I believe we had more of Midwestern values and lifestyle than the east coast.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

56 minutes ago, sherpa said:

?

I cannot imagine any NFL player ever having any desire to live in an Islamic state.

That's just the players. Their wives would revolt.

Very difficult to get people with much more muted lifestyles, ie State Dept and military families to go there.

I believe the poster is referring to a scenario in which the Saudis funded an alternative league that would be based in the US (a la teams suddenly forming in Birmingham or San Antonio).  I could be wrong.  Having spent a little time in Saudi, Kuwait and Egypt, I agree with you wholeheartedly.  A sandbox, with all the little turds included.

As for the Chargers, I went to a few games at "The Murph" back in the late 80's and early 90's.  Honestly - the place was pretty good after the facelift that took place back then.  I get it - someone wasn't making enough money on the existing stadium, so greed won.  But it wasn't as bad as it's made out to be.  And the fans may not have been "rabid", but they were supportive.  San Diego, back in the Fouts/Coryell era, was strongly behind their team because it was FUN to watch!  (Okay, they'd lose 53-51, but it was entertaining).

And their new uniforms suck.  Jesus.  What an abomination.

19 hours ago, DrBob806 said:

Actually the Chargers started out in LA in the original AFL in 1960. They only played one season there and moved to San Diego in 1961.

Here's another weird thing to me....Stan Kroenke moves the Rams to LA, his wife is a Walmart heiress. The Denver Broncos were bought by another Walmart group. How in the hell is that legal to have two Walmart-owned NFL teams? 

Just fyi, KC started out in Dallas for one year and the Jets first year in 1960 were known as the Titans. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Gregg said:

When all of these teams were moving a few years back. St. Louis Rams to the LA Rams. The Oakland Raiders to the Vegas Raiders. The San Diego Chargers to the LA Chargers. If the league wanted two teams in LA (which isn't a great NFL market to begin with) then it should have been the Rams and Raiders in LA. The Rams have a long history in LA, and they do have a fanbase there. The Raiders also have some history in LA and also have a fanbase there. The Chargers have neither a history with LA nor a fanbase there. The Chargers would have been better off in Vegas and building a fanbase in that market as they would be the only team representing Vegas. Basically, starting over in the sin city.

um.. check the history books. Chargers do have a history in LA.

15 hours ago, muppy said:

Socal in general LOVES a winner. The Chargers were not doing enough of that to keep peoples interest in view of "other interests" such as baseball, college sportss,  surfing, skiing, biking etc etc etc

It is what it is.

not sure they loved the Rams--even with a SB win.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

not sure they loved the Rams--even with a SB win.

their victory parade was an embarrassment. Now that you mention that I do remember being pretty surprised at that. I

I'm going with LA being a Baseball Basketball and yes even NHL town to a much lesser extent.  It is a very multi cultural area. That may have something to do with it. NFL vs futbol...there's a thought.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.