That was the Chargers Super Bowl

Einstein

31 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Full of excuses. This game shouldn't even have been close. 

Stop with your non sense.

Celebrate the ugly win but stop with the excuses. 

If the Bills play this quality of football they will be on vacation soon. 

Let's hope, some AFC teams competing with the Bills playoff hopes lose. Miami, Jags, Denver, Houston, and Indy...

Let's hope the Bills execute better and play well down the stretch. 

All in all it was a huge win! 

I mean it’s a real thing so I think you went a little too hard on him haha interim coaches have a winning record and they all took over for coaches that got fired 

And look at someone like Josh Dobbs who went off for a few games before there was film of him in the minny offense then he got absolutely destroyed and promptly benched 

obviously you’re entitled to call it whatever you want it’s certainly up to personal interpretation 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I mean it’s a real thing so I think you went a little too hard on him haha interim coaches have a winning record and they all took over for coaches that got fired 

And look at someone like Josh Dobbs who went off for a few games before there was film of him in the minny offense then he got absolutely destroyed and promptly benched 

obviously you’re entitled to call it whatever you want it’s certainly up to personal interpretation 

The Chargers were without Herbert, Allen, and Bosa. They were 13 point favorites in the game. This game wasn't supposed to be close. 

I was expecting a much easier game for the Bills. I think it's safe to say not many here thought of that game script. 

1 hour ago, nucci said:

No, it wasn't

The title of this thread is ridiculous. 

If anything it was the Bills Super Bowl or at least the playoffs. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

Was just listening to McD’s postgame press conference and he mentioned that the Chargers were doing some things they haven’t done all year. Wasn’t on film.

That’s another reason why teams get an interim coach bump.

And why Staley was that bad. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JohnNord said:

It’s just that Chargers played tough, the Bills had a ton of penalties and turned the ball over twice in the own territory and once near midfield.  Still the result of those turnovers were 13 points.  

My concern is that the offense looked very disjointed again.  Bad performance by the OL and Diggs just doesn’t look the same.  

Diggs may be cooked for the year 

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

Was just listening to McD’s postgame press conference and he mentioned that the Chargers were doing some things they haven’t done all year. Wasn’t on film.

That’s another reason why teams get an interim coach bump.

The Chargers having a new coach was not the key change behind Harty and Cook fumbling, nor Josh underthrowing for an interception (or being off with his receivers). These have happened against teams who have not changed their HC coming into Bills week. It's a carelessness with the ball which has haunted them for most of the season and, as much as we hoped they would have learned from it, they simply haven't.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

The Chargers having a new coach was not the key change behind Harty and Cook fumbling, nor Josh underthrowing for an interception (or being off with his receivers). These have happened against teams who have not changed their HC coming into Bills week. It's a carelessness with the ball which has haunted them for most of the season and, as much as we hoped they would have learned from it, they simply haven't.

and penalties that wiped out big gains and first downs

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

And they lost.

Think about it

- A team with nothing to lose

- 12 point underdogs (feel disrespected)

- Just had 8 days off and are playing at home (while we had to fly across the country with only 5 days off)

- Get the Interim head coach bump

- Fired up players that want to impress for next years coaching staff

All of that is a dangerous combo.

Most teams wouldn’t have looked their best today against the Chargers.

They came out punching, we gave them three extra drives (turnovers), and we still won. 

how many times did we see the Super Bowl patriots teams over the years pull close wins out of their butt? 

Many, many times.

I know a lot of you probably feel a little down after that performance. Don’t. We are nine and six, and we control our own destiny.

GO BILLS!!!

HEY EY EY EY.

Agreed it was a dangerous combo, and they had nothing to lose and were able to have approaches nobody had seen on film. It was a tough game for us and a big game for them.

But IMO it's really really overstating it to say that was their Super Bowl. It wasn't. It was a very important game for them. But "players want to impress next year's coaching staff"? That's every player, every game, every year.

Overall I agree. If we'd lost, those excuses wouldn't have held up. Having won, they do, they are legit reasons the Chargers were able to keep it close.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Agreed it was a dangerous combo, and they had nothing to lose and were able to have approaches nobody had seen on film. It was a tough game for us and a big game for them.

But IMO it's really really overstating it to say that was their Super Bowl. It wasn't. It was a very important game for them. But "players want to impress next year's coaching staff"? That's every player every year.

Overall I agree. If we'd lost, those excuses wouldn't have held up. Having won, they do, they are legit reasons the Chargers were able to keep it close.

and most pro athletes just want to win games whenever they play

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

The Chargers were without Herbert, Allen, and Bosa. They were 13 point favorites in the game. This game wasn't supposed to be close. 

I was expecting a much easier game for the Bills. I think it's safe to say not many here thought of that game script. 

That's always the trap with the Bills.  We all become emotionally invested and it typically ends with bitter disappointment.  The story, win against the Chargers and Pats, Miami, loses 1 of 2, and beat Miami in week 18 and the Bills are AFCE champs again.  A wonderful end to an up-and-down challenging regular season as the team enters the playoffs as the hot team.  And the bookies set the line at Bills -12.5.  What could go wrong?  

But all long time Bills fan knows better having the experience of falling this type of set-up many times in their life.  What experienced skeptic among us expected this game to play out exactly like it did last night?  All of us.  The Bills a big favorite on the road against a team that just fired their HC comes into the game with an interim HC and a back-up QB.  But you knew it was going to be a struggle.  They'd make their share of mistakes, turn over the ball,  and the possibly of a disappointing loss was hanging in the air all night long.  The great thing is they won.   A W is a W and there's no extra credit or style points awarded in the standings.  And the story lives for next week.  And now we can relax watching the remainder of the games Christmas Eve and Day.  Go Bills!     

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

21 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

But IMO it's really really overstating it to say that was their Super Bowl. It wasn't. It was a very important game for them. But "players want to impress next year's coaching staff"? That's every player, every game, every year.

The excuses shouldn't fly whether the Bills won or lost Thurman. 

This was a much bigger game for the Bills than the Chargers. Let's get real here. 

Not seeing looks, schemes, or formations from the opponent is no excuse not to execute and make proper adjustments. I'm not buying this hogwash either. 

The Chargers had a B team offense on the field. A nobody QB and a bunch of mediocre WRs. Eckler whose having a down year was their only legit weapon. 

The Chargers D is nothing special especially against the run. 

This Bills team should have steamrolled the Chargers. They were 13 point favorites for a reason. 

In such a critical game the Bills played sloppy. Three turnovers to zero. The Chargers jumped off to a

10- 0 lead before we could blink. 

The biggest reason for the win was the Bills defense forced five FGs. They made big stops when they had to. 

The Bills offense made some key plays to get the go ahead FG. 

Overall, this was a very poor performance by the Bills. Good enough to beat a bad LA team who is worse than closing out games than Buffalo. 

Let's take the W and hope the Bills execute and play better. 

• Vomit 1

10 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

That's always the trap with the Bills.  We all become emotionally invested and it typically ends with bitter disappointment.  The story, win against the Chargers and Pats, Miami, loses 1 of 2, and beat Miami in week 18 and the Bills are AFCE champs again.  A wonderful end to an up-and-down challenging regular season as the team enters the playoffs as the hot team.  And the bookies set the line at Bills -12.5.  What could go wrong?  

But all long time Bills fan knows better having the experience of falling this type of set-up many times in their life.  What experienced skeptic among us expected this game to play out exactly like it did last night?  All of us.  The Bills a big favorite on the road against a team that just fired their HC comes into the game with an interim HC and a back-up QB.  But you knew it was going to be a struggle.  They'd make their share of mistakes, turn over the ball,  and the possibly of a disappointing loss was hanging in the air all night long.  The great thing is they won.   A W is a W and there's no extra credit or style points awarded in the standings.  And the story lives for next week.  And now we can relax watching the remainder of the games Christmas Eve and Day.  Go Bills!     

I was foolish enough to think the game wouldn't be very close. I didn't envision that kind of game. Maybe I'm just not that smart. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Keep in mind after this game, the chargers are 0-6 in games decided by 3 points or less.

That's insane, we have our own bad single score game stats, but even with injuries that team has a ton of talent.  They are 42 over the cap next year.

This is how 6 of 10 chargers losses went this season.

8 hours ago, Einstein said:

And they lost.

Think about it

- A team with nothing to lose

- 12 point underdogs (feel disrespected)

- Just had 8 days off and are playing at home (while we had to fly across the country with only 5 days off)

- Get the Interim head coach bump

- Fired up players that want to impress for next years coaching staff

All of that is a dangerous combo.

Most teams wouldn’t have looked their best today against the Chargers.

They came out punching, we gave them three extra drives (turnovers), and we still won. 

how many times did we see the Super Bowl patriots teams over the years pull close wins out of their butt? 

Many, many times.

I know a lot of you probably feel a little down after that performance. Don’t. We are nine and six, and we control our own destiny.

GO BILLS!!!

HEY EY EY EY.

Good post, but I qualify it by saying the Bills effectively had four turnovers. The series with the tripping, holding, and false start penalties plus the deep sack (resulting in 4th and forever) ended up giving the Chargers a much shorter field than expected and they cashed in with a FG. 

Josh didn’t have his best stuff.  He inexplicably missed two wide open guys on 3rd downs that ended drives.  And yet, when it was needed, he brought them back and his receivers made some great plays.

The defense was very solid despite being put in terrible situations, and they actually closed out another game.

I’m not going to boo-hoo over this victory.  All goals are still in play.

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

The excuses shouldn't fly whether the Bills won or lost Thurman. 

This was a much bigger game for the Bills than the Chargers. Let's get real here. 

Not seeing looks, schemes, or formations from the opponent is no excuse not to execute and make proper adjustments. I'm not buying this hogwash either. 

The Chargers had a B team offense on the field. A nobody QB and a bunch of mediocre WRs. Eckler whose having a down year was their only legit weapon. 

The Chargers D is nothing special especially against the run. 

This Bills team should have steamrolled the Chargers. They were 13 point favorites for a reason. 

In such a critical game the Bills played sloppy. Three turnovers to zero. The Chargers jumped off to a

10- 0 lead before we could blink. 

The biggest reason for the win was the Bills defense forced five FGs. They made big stops when they had to. 

The Bills offense made some key plays to get the go ahead FG. 

Overall, this was a very poor performance by the Bills. Good enough to beat a bad LA team who is worse than closing out games than Buffalo. 

Let's take the W and hope the Bills execute and play better. 

Oh, bull####. Seriously.

When you win, you don't need excuses. Cause you won. When you lose, that's when the excuses don't stand up well.

Honest to God, you guys absolutely crack me up. When we win big, you say, "yeah, sure they can win big, but they can't win the close ones."

The Bills go win a few close ones and now you're complaining they should have won big.

There's no way to win with you folks. There's absolutely always more to complain about. It's nonsense.

9 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I love these ‘I’m smarter than other people because I’m predicting a team won’t win the superbowl’ type posts lol. Winning the superbowl is extremely difficult in a single game elimination playoff structure even for the best team in the league…it’s not exactly a bold prediction that any individual team won’t win it 😂

Every year a team wins the superbowl that had some amount of fans posting about how they had no chance of winning it

It’s very revealing that this is what you took out of my post.

Just to be clear I am not making any predictions. We all know it is very difficult to win it all. This team has not shown me that they are capable of getting the job done. So I will enjoy every win and not look too far ahead or make proclamations like ‘most dangerous team’ etc. Because deep down I know how this ends. I’ve seen it too many times. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

If anything it was the Bills Super Bowl or at least the playoffs. 

That could possibly be a bills fan only thing?  I heard a lot of people saying it had the feel of a trap game and the bills need to be careful.  I read a lot of the betting picks type sites though so maybe that’s why I saw that lol   There were actually a few posters here that said we never play well on the west coast now that I think about it.

I think the biggest piece that made people nervous was the bills having a short week and having to travel cross country…I mean you may say that’s an excuse too but the way I’ve heard players talk about how much recovery time they need in interviews it sounds like that could be a big deal. I think it’s fair to say it shouldn’t have been that close but at the same time I don’t think that not great play will carry over to future games 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

It’s very revealing that this is what you took out of my post.

Just to be clear I am not making any predictions. We all know it is very difficult to win it all. This team has not shown me that they are capable of getting the job done. So I will enjoy every win and not look too far ahead or make proclamations like ‘most dangerous team’ etc. Because deep down I know how this ends. I’ve seen it too many times. 

I mean maybe you didn’t realize that that’s what you said? lol the gist was ‘people that think we can win it all are gonna be disappointed’ aka I can see things that the average person can’t because of my foresight that the bills won’t do something that is extremely extremely difficult for even the best roster to do and notoriously takes some good fortune.  

I see this around here a good amount…there’s nothing wrong with being critical at all but people around here are like no chance we beat the chiefs or cowboys we are screwed then we do and the retort is …well we won’t win the Super Bowl and people think that somehow validates all their negative opinions if they’re right 😂 a handful of good teams that could’ve won it all don’t every season.  

If you had said something like ‘the bills won’t make it out of the first round’ that’s at least a fairly bold statement with some substance. But saying a team won’t win the superbowl is essentially meaningless…even someone like the ravens is only 14% or so to win it right now so if you said ‘x team won’t win the superbowl’ about any afc team you’d probably be very safe. 

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Oh, bull####. Seriously.

When you win, you don't need excuses. Cause you won. When you lose, that's when the excuses don't stand up well.

Honest to God, you guys absolutely crack me up. When we win big, you say, "yeah, sure they can win big, but they can't win the close ones."

The Bills go win a few close ones and now you're complaining they should have won big.

There's no way to win with you folks. There's absolutely always more to complain about. It's nonsense.

All season they've played down to the competition on the road but in the playoffs that won't be a problem since  there won't be any teams to play down to left.

3 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I mean maybe you didn’t realize that that’s what you said? lol the gist was ‘people that think we can win it all are gonna be disappointed’ aka I can see things that the average person can’t because of my foresight that the bills won’t do something that is extremely extremely difficult for even the best roster to do and notoriously takes some good fortune.  

I see this around here a good amount…there’s nothing wrong with being critical at all but people around here are like no chance we beat the chiefs or cowboys we are screwed then we do and the retort is …well we won’t win the Super Bowl and people think that somehow validates all their negative opinions if they’re right 😂 a handful of good teams that could’ve won it all don’t every season.  

If you had said something like ‘the bills won’t make it out of the first round’ that’s at least a fairly bold statement with some substance. But saying a team won’t win the superbowl is essentially meaningless…even someone like the ravens is only 14% or so to win it right now so if you said ‘x team won’t win the superbowl’ about any afc team you’d probably be very safe. 

My point was to quell the superbowl team enthusiasm until they actually get through a couple of playoff games. History is the best predictor of future performance. 

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Oh, bull####. Seriously.

Who or what Bills fan is complaining about the win? Come on man stop with that gaslighting. No one is! It's fair game to be critical of poor play and performances. Perhaps not in your mind. 

Fans and experts and everyone in between analyze games, plays, players, and teams. 

Case in point, look at Miami and Dallas. What's the common theme? They haven't beat good teams. You have heard this constant theme repeatedly. Based on your logic or thinking flaw that's absurd to go there. A win is a win as you say. You see your hypocrisy? Not all wins are the same. 

Another illustration would be the Chiefs. Their offense is not very good because of their poor WR core. They are beatable. 

The AFC looks softer and there is no dominant team. Well the Ravens are sitting atop and winning as are the Flacco led Browns. 

All and all the win yesterday was huge. We recognize that fact and are greatfull. A win is a win is partially correct. However, as a fan I recognize the Bills have to play much better in order to make a deep playoff run. 

• Dislike 1

17 hours ago, QB Bills said:

Doesn't matter. That was not a good performance by the Bills, no matter which way you slice it. The team out there today with that effort does not sniff a super bowl. Glad they got the win, but that Chargers team has a bunch of nobodies out there. It should not have been close.

Losing the turnover battle 3-0 and get key penalties, actually the balls sans those mistakes, played well and would not have been close to make fans happy like you

On 12/23/2023 at 11:38 PM, Billznut said:

lol apparently you’ve never seen the weekly predict the score threads here. The vast vast majority of the picks have the Bills routinely winning by 40 or so points. This week people were especially optimistic of the 40 point victory with the Chargers assuredly going to roll over for us. I’d say by the predictions and your quoted assertion, that a lot of people on here definitely don’t watch football. 

As the curator of the Predict the Score thread, the vast majority of the picks are not for 40-point Bills victories.  The Chargers thread was unusual in that about 98% of the picks were for the Bills, and by comfortable margins.  Most weeks it runs about 70-30 Bills, depending on the opposition, with margins usually within two scores.  This week, I felt that the team had found a winning formula against Dallas, and would continue to build off that.  Instead, the defense that held Dak Prescott, CeeDee Lamb and co. to nearly no points, allowed Hockey and the Jets to control the ball and score 22.  The offense that had rolled one of the best defenses in the NFL the previous week, allowed the Joey Bosa-less Chargers D to push them around for 4 quarters.  Football is a week-to-week game, but I fully expected the Bills to take control of this one early and cruise to an easy victory against a team that was inferior in all phases.  Oops.

As far as to whether we watch football, I assure you we do.  We saw the Chargers destroyed the previous week while the Bills rolled one of the best teams in football.  We expected the Bills to roll one of the worst teams in football, but it didn't happen.  To denigrate those of us who picked the Bills to win big in the Predict the Score thread is a cheap shot.  I will never understand posters who seem to delight in putting down their fellow TBDers.  It makes this board less fun. 

Edited by Freddie's Dead

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.