Staley Canned

bills6969

9 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

I was surprised he returned for the second half last night. Down 42-nuthin at the half he had to know he'd be canned today. At least he got a free flight back to LA.

I was surprised the announcer team was openly calling for him to be canned at halftime 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, bills6969 said:

The media swooned over this guy’s press conferences a few years ago.  To be fair, I think he was onto something based on how often he went for it on 4th down.   It was something that made him different and won some games his team should have lost.  

But that philosophy backfired a few games including the loss to the Raiders that cost them a playoff spot.   From there his approach was much more conservative on 4th down the next 2 year.   I think he was ordered to stop by ownership.  

The past two season, it seemed like he was in over his head  

16 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

The media swooned over this guy’s press conferences a few years ago.  To be fair, I think he was onto something based on how often he went for it on 4th down.   It was something that made him different and won some games his team should have lost.  

But that philosophy backfired a few games including the loss to the Raiders that cost them a playoff spot.   From there his approach was much more conservative on 4th down the next 2 year.   I think he was ordered to stop by ownership.  

Since McVay there was a run on hiring young thirty something coaches. Many of have worked out, some haven’t, but I think fans, owners, and media started to falsely assume that every hot new coaching candidate would be a smashing success. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

He clearly should have been fired last season. They wasted another year of Herbert and maybe Keenan Allen's last great year for nothing.

Just wondering if one could make a similar argument in the Bills situation? 

Of course not on the same level of the Chargers. Not trying to imply this. 

As noted before, the likelihood of a head coach to go to a SB with a franchise QB is somewhere around 6 years. Do the math... The window has elapsed. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Belichik to LAC is so obvious and might be the perfect offseason match in years.

If it does happen the Chargers will be an instant SB contender next year.

You never fail to entertain.

5 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I wonder if he'll bring JC Jackson back with him lol

Maybe he'll bring Mac & Cheese Jones-- just to punish him for ruining his legacy in NE.

Edited by Rocky Landing

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

he was a fraud from the get go. I was beating that drum for years. He was totally unqualified to be a HC. His claim to fame was basically stealing Fangio’s defense and taking credit for it, but running an inferior version. 

Then he became some bizarre media darling, like you said. I remember when Gruden was fired and he made some comments about it, and was hailed a genius. Or when he basically made the simple comment about how running is important to keep defenses honest, and he was hailed a genius.

his career trajectory was one where he needed another 3-4 years as a defensive coach. He had no business being hired.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, FireChans said:

They wasted their season keeping him after the playoff collapse.  I’d be so mad as a Chargers fan

Is there such a thing as a chargers fan?

6 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I'd be worried about the fired coach/interim coach play bump if they still had Herbert but they don't 

They got Easton Stick 

Big deal. Both my kids had Easton Sticks when they played hockey 

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

This is one of the reasons I don't want McD fired.  I don't want to see him replaced by someone, "young, smart, and innovative."  

This kind of fear prevents the Bills from advancing further. I believe this is the incorrect mindset to have. Often change is needed way before change is made. Case in point the Chargers. I'd argue with confidence McD and the Bills are applicable here. 

McD would actually be a great coach for the Chargers. He would instill a winning attitude and culture. The defense would be very solid and they'd likely make multiple playoff appearances. They would unlikely advance far but he would turn around the team and get them over the hump sort of speak. The team would be solid under his guidance. 

There are coaching candidates that are creative and innovative. McD has had plenty of time to make a SB appearance with his elite QB. This is just another failed year. How many more can and will this fan base accept?

A failed playoff appearance is clearly realistic this year. How much more do we need to see? 

Let's stay with McD because he's safe and a great guy. No thanks for this fan. 

Get an assertive offensive minded coach. Can you imagine what Peyton would be doing with this team? 

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

he was a fraud from the get go. I was beating that drum for years. He was totally unqualified to be a HC. His claim to fame was basically stealing Fangio’s defense and taking credit for it, but running an inferior version. 

Then he became some bizarre media darling, like you said. I remember when Gruden was fired and he made some comments about it, and was hailed a genius. Or when he basically made the simple comment about how running is important to keep defenses honest, and he was hailed a genius.

his career trajectory was one where he needed another 3-4 years as a defensive coach. He had no business being hired.  

His comment about running the football wasn’t exactly rocket science.  

I honestly thought he was at his best when he was making the YOLO 4th down calls.  That really kept defenses off balance and gave the offense a lot of confidence.  But his other horrendous coaches didn’t help matters 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

To be fair, the Chargers had 5 turnovers and the Raiders had 2 defensive touchdowns.  And four of their offensive touchdown drives started on the Chargers side of the field.  Only gave up 386 yards total.  This wasn't the Denver defense against the Fins.  The Chargers offense handed this game to the Raiders.

Giimme a break.  The Raiders scored 6 offensive TDs in the 1st half. It was 42-0 at halftime against a team that was shut out last week.  How much worse could the Chargers D possibly play.

It’s hard to put up yards on Offense when you start at midfield or in the 2’nd half your defense keeps scoring and kicking off. The Raiders scores TDs on 7 of their first 9 Posesaions

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.