Staley Canned

bills6969

23 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

to be fair you did pick two coaches that are struggling through qb injuries (and in the vikes case their star player too)… though the Vikings did start slow 

but can you imagine this team sans Josh (and Kyle) and without stef, instead of Daquan and Milano?

I am curious to see O’Connell if they let cousins walk and he gets a run with a cheap qb 

if the bucket is guys that are able to win it, and guys that aren’t…. Is it really worth the nuance of arguing about who didn’t win it the worst? Obviously I think McDermott is better but at some point we are going to need to be Ricky Bobby and not accept less than first. 

Shanny better be on the hot seat then, because at best, he’s been Cal Naughton Jr so far.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

OK, so basically, your premise is "don't hire defensive coordinators as head coaches"?  Because defensive assistants are not, as a general rule, going to have experience or a track record of being innovative on the offensive side.

As far as Fangio, his relatively simple scheme had some pretty effective defenses, especially with the 49ers and the Bears, and Miami's defense has been pretty effective when it needs to be.  I will say that Fangio's D seems to rely on top D talent, but Staley should have had enough to work with between Khalil Mack and Joey Bosa.

I have no issues hiring a DC. But I would

base it on either experience or if you have someone who is unproven, some basis for believing that he has some kind of innovative views on the defensive side of the ball and good managerial experience and vision for the offensive side. 

I obviously have no idea how Staley did in his interviews, but he lacked experience and came from a defensive system that— while effective— didn’t reflect anything all that brilliant. 

9 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I hear what you are saying. Allow me to respond. 

Coach McD has mostly failed in his playoff appearances. He's 4-5 in the playoffs. He's without a doubt blown games and been out coached far too much in these big games. There's really no debate here. It's pretty much a pattern that I expect to continue. Believe in what you see. 

To use other coaches failures and then subsequent successes as an indicator that McD will succeed doesn't prove anything. There's plenty of examples in the opposite direction.  It has no relevance to McD's future success or lack of. Sure it's possible but it's perhaps more likely the continued failures continue. 

Beane deserves some blame as well. However, let's not negate the fact that McD likely has had a lot of input in Beane's decisions. Beane didn't blow 13 seconds or have the team ill prepared to play the biggest home playoff game in decades vs the Bengals. That's on coach McD!!!

Fast forward to this year and the team has regressed under McD. The team is in jeopardy of losing the division and not making the playoffs. Who would have imagined this at the start of the season? 

Yet, fans want to give this coach more chances. Give him the benefit of the doubt. The window isn't closed but it certainly isn't opening wider. Years are ticking and McD with a franchise QB have largely squandered opportunities to appear in a SB. More of the same is likely coming. Run it back again seems to be the incorrect decision. Not sure how Bills fans can't see a need for change. It's  time to move on from McD. Don't fear the unknown. The team can reach it's ultimate goal with a dynamic innovative coach not named McD. Let's not settle for good because good isn't good enough. McD is good but not good enough. Multiple blown playoff games and his 4-5 record are indicators of his shortcomings. 

History may prove you right.  

But I don't think 13 seconds defines McD.  I don't believe it tells us a lot about him as a coach.  A coach does so much more than call plays - if he even calls plays.  And I'd hate my career to be defined by my worst 13 seconds!  

Andy Reid just lost to McD in the regular season - again.  That doesn't make McD the better coach.  Good coaches lose games sometimes.  It happens.  

I judge coaches how well they do overall with (1) the rosters they're given, (2) the injuries the team suffers, and (3) the schedule they play against.  Some of the results this year notwithstanding, I think McD has done well during his tenure as coach.  I believe with some improvements to the roster, he can and will get us a Lombardi. 

But I understand your arguments and know I won't change your mind.  Let's see how it all works out.     

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

History may prove you right.  

But I don't think 13 seconds defines McD.  I don't believe it tells us a lot about him as a coach.  A coach does so much more than call plays - if he even calls plays.  And I'd hate my career to be defined by my worst 13 seconds!  

Andy Reid just lost to McD in the regular season - again.  That doesn't make McD the better coach.  Good coaches lose games sometimes.  It happens.  

I judge coaches how well they do overall with (1) the rosters they're given, (2) the injuries the team suffers, and (3) the schedule they play against.  Some of the results this year notwithstanding, I think McD has done well during his tenure as coach.  I believe with some improvements to the roster, he can and will get us a Lombardi. 

But I understand your arguments and know I won't change your mind.  Let's see how it all works out.     

Fair response. I'm not saying 13 seconds defined McD. You certainly can't dismiss it either. It has to be a big ding against him no matter where you stand. 

There's plenty more than 13 seconds where McD has come up short, out coached, out planned, and out classed. Just look back at his playoff games and you will see ample evidence. Not just a single event here. I'd argue it's more of a pattern of not getting it done by McD. 

I will say that McD has been a very good regular season coach. The numbers support this and I'd be foolish to say otherwise. This fan wants more than a very good regular season coach. I want a better than a playoff winning 44%. Don't you? 

This season he's 7-6 and perhaps the most disappointing season in years. Wouldn't you agree? It's reasonable to argue is the team is going in the wrong direction? Is it reasonable to say a coaching chance might be needed? 

Lastly, I think Allen has to be brought into this discussion. McD has had able time with his franchise QB to achieve a SB appearance. Allen alone gets this team several wins. 

We will see how it plays out. It's clear McD isn't going anywhere soon. Hope you are correct. 

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Fair response. I'm not saying 13 seconds defined McD. You certainly can't dismiss it either. It has to be a big ding against him no matter where you stand. 

There's plenty more than 13 seconds where McD has come up short, out coached, out planned, and out classed. Just look back at his playoff games and you will see ample evidence. Not just a single event here. I'd argue it's more of a pattern of not getting it done by McD. 

I will say that McD has been a very good regular season coach. The numbers support this and I'd be foolish to say otherwise. This fan wants more than a very good regular season coach. I want a better than a playoff winning 44%. Don't you? 

This season he's 7-6 and perhaps the most disappointing season in years. Wouldn't you agree? It's reasonable to argue is the team is going in the wrong direction? Is it reasonable to say a coaching chance might be needed? 

Lastly, I think Allen has to be brought into this discussion. McD has had able time with his franchise QB to achieve a SB appearance. Allen alone gets this team several wins. 

We will see how it plays out. It's clear McD isn't going anywhere soon. Hope you are correct. 

I really hope I'm right too.  My favorite sweatshirt says, "Just one before I die."  Here, out West, nobody knows what it means.  But you know and I do worry.  

And, yeah, btw, I do agree that McD has underperformed this year.  Last season, I didn't think the Bills were as good as their 13-3 record.  This year, I don't think this roster is as bad, even with the injuries, as their 7-6 record indicates.  For me, it is cause for concern but not time to jump ship.  

I wish we could embed ourselves with the Bills for a month.  See how practices are run.  Sit in on position group meetings and film breakdowns.  Watch the game from the sidelines.  Listen to the McD's speeches.  Get a first-hand view of his leadership.  Hang out with the players and hear what they truly think about their coaches.  I'd feel more confident in my opinions about the coaching staff if I had an insider view of things.  

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I really hope I'm right too.  My favorite sweatshirt says, "Just one before I die."  Here, out West, nobody knows what it means.  But you know and I do worry.  

And, yeah, btw, I do agree that McD has underperformed this year.  Last season, I didn't think the Bills were as good as their 13-3 record.  This year, I don't think this roster is as bad, even with the injuries, as their 7-6 record indicates.  For me, it is cause for concern but not time to jump ship.  

I wish we could embed ourselves with the Bills for a month.  See how practices are run.  Sit in on position group meetings and film breakdowns.  Watch the game from the sidelines.  Listen to the McD's speeches.  Get a first-hand view of his leadership.  Hang out with the players and hear what they truly think about their coaches.  I'd feel more confident in my opinions about the coaching staff if I had an insider view of things.  

Oh wow. That would be assume to do. I'd be like a kid in a candy store. 

I'm out West and I'd definitely know what that shirt means. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/15/2023 at 5:36 PM, newcam2012 said:

Just wondering if one could make a similar argument in the Bills situation? 

Of course not on the same level of the Chargers. Not trying to imply this. 

As noted before, the likelihood of a head coach to go to a SB with a franchise QB is somewhere around 6 years. Do the math... The window has elapsed. 

I think it's the same situation as Buffalo. McDermott isn't the dumpster fire Staley was, but he isn't good enough either.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.