RIP: Chiefs Superfan "Da Beard" dies in solo car crash after Bills game (alcohol suspected)

chongli

2 hours ago, teef said:

on a semi related note, i just saw a news snipped about how they're going to require alcohol monitoring in future car builds.  i'm not sure if i have the completely correct, but it's the first time i've heard it.  

edit:  it seems there's a push to make it a requirement. 

It's kind of ridiculous to be in a place to have to require something like that, like requiring people to wear a helmet so they don't hurt themselves, but as long as it works accurately who cares it should only be a problem if you're ***** up.

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

I’m gonna bet my retirement that someone is already developing the workaround. 

Also, no seatbelt and running into a bridge while drunk makes me wonder about suicide.  I’ve heard many people talk about doing exactly that when depressed, mentally ill, etc. 

Feels like for someone to pull that off you'd either have to be dedicated to being ####### which could get you into worse trouble when you get caught, or whatever workaround there is if it requires you to do it each time you probably aren't going to have as easy of a time doing it when you're not sober.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

Also, no seatbelt and running into a bridge while drunk makes me wonder about suicide.  I’ve heard many people talk about doing exactly that when depressed, mentally ill, etc. 

oh you know they are.  i thought about the same thing concerning the accident.  it was either intentional, or he was so drunk/distracted that he probably couldn't even walk properly.

32 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

The workaround is a car that drives itself imo.  

The challenge is that the current Interlock breathalyzer's are insanely unreliable.  They don't work well in the cold.  They generate false positives from things like Albuterol inhalers.  Car companies would be sourcing this out to companies, and people are NOT going to like when they can't go to work because their car isn't allowed to start due to malfunction.  You could say - this happens all the time when things break or a car wont start.  But this is like saying the car won't start because the cigarette lighter won't light.  

agree 100%

2 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Any office store and buy a bottle of compressed air, not rocket science.

As for suicide and not wearing a seat belt, Aubrey McClendon uber rich oil mand that was headed for bankruptcy again that  is how he passed away, also hitting a railroad bridge.

My Toyota has a drowsy alert where if it detects you are veering out of the lane too much it gives you a message to take a break. The problem is I drive a lot from Nevada to California across the Sierra Nevada on a narrow curvy road over the mountains. With a larger car, it is damn near hard to be perfect on these curves and keep the car perfectly in between the lines. So the lane departure alert signal was going off every 30 seconds and it eventually gave me a drowsy warning. I got annoyed after some time, so I just disabled lane alert, steering assist, and the drowsy message, because they were always false positives.

[The other problem was when they were doing construction each night and the barriers had you purposely drive on a lane line. Then the lane alert went bonkers and tried to steer me into the cones.]

So if they eventually make cars with intoxication monitoring, it better be accurate, which it is not.

Also, I read they will never do a baby monitor for a baby left in the back seat of a car on a hot day because of liability. No one wants to undertake the liability if a child dies because their monitor failed.

[And speaking of mandated equipment, let's not get into passive restraints mandated by Elizabeth Dole in the late 80's and early 90's, namely automatic seatbelts, motorized seatbelts, ad seatbelts anchored to the door. BIG FAIL!]

Edited by chongli

Hate drunk driving my son was almost killed before he ever had a chance at life. I was rear ended with my pregnant ex-wife by a drunk driver with no insurance. Causing him to be born premature and having to spend the first 2 1/2 months of his life in the hospital. I was lucky so many aren't. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

Im actually surprised that no one has gotten trucked on the shoulder of the roads outside the stadium walking back to their car after the game. Between the amount of drunk people walking on the shoulder, and the amount of drunk people driving on the same roads always makes me learn near the barricades as far away as I can get. Lets not act like multiple Bills fans aren't getting behind the wheel after games heavily intoxicated.

We actually saw a Cop get bumped by a guy, after the game at Rich about 15-20 years ago.

Cop went OFF and waived him over.

12 hours ago, Warcodered said:

That forum doesn't fail to be awful.

Agreed. Too much politics on the main forum. And these are a sampling of the non-football current topics on the first page:

Sleep Apnea

Andre Braughler Dies at 61 years old

Stomach Flu what do you do

Salt Water Hot Tubs?

50 Beers To Try Before You Die

LOL.

2 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

Man, you just can't let these games get to you so much that you overindulge, if that's what happened. Or maybe he took it the Thelma and Louise level. Just not worth it. Too young. feel bad for the family.

I feel like if the Bills ever won a Super Bowl, I wouldn't let any tough loss get to me as much as I would right now.

My first thought when reading "he took the loss hard" was dude... you JUST won the Super Bowl LAST SEASON!!! Come on.

Maybe that's just me.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Hard to say what's going on in one's head, or life really. For as exuberant as he was about the Chiefs, the rest of his life may have been a different story. One would hope that this wasn't an intentional situation where he purposely did not wear a seatbelt and let the alcohol lead him somewhere you can't come back from. Either way, the loss of life is always tough. And especially tough under these circumstances for his friends and family. 

7 hours ago, teef said:

on a semi related note, i just saw a news snipped about how they're going to require alcohol monitoring in future car builds.  i'm not sure if i have the completely correct, but it's the first time i've heard it.  

The tech has been there for a long time. They already require it for people that get DUI's and want their license back.  I use to install the devices in the car.  The car wouldn't start without it.  That was like 20 years ago.

I know that I would find it to be a pain in the ass to start my car like that every time though.  I don't even drink.  They didnt exactly work so good back then.  I dunno if they have fixed some of the bugs in them or not yet.

Edited by Scott7975

11 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

The tech has been there for a long time. They already require it for people that get DUI's and want their license back.  I use to install the devices in the car.  The car wouldn't start without it.  That was like 20 years ago.

I know that I would find it to be a pain in the ass to start my car like that every time though.  I don't even drink.  They didnt exactly work so good back then.  I dunno if they have fixed some of the bugs in them or not yet.

i can't imagine it would be the classic blow into the tube every time, but i have no idea how else it would go down.  i'd be rather surprised if it passes anytime soon.

It surprises me that people have such an issue with wearing seat belts. Maybe they never saw the momentum demonstration with the egg strapped down vs not strapped down.

I can understand teenage boys not wanting to seem unmanly, but adults driving without seat belts makes no sense.

I have an adult step daughter who doesn’t wear them, and doesn’t make her kids wear them. It’s just a foolish choice to make.

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, teef said:

i can't imagine it would be the classic blow into the tube every time, but i have no idea how else it would go down.  i'd be rather surprised if it passes anytime soon.

Well the ones I installed were blow into the tube every time or your car don't start haha.  They aren't easy either. You had to blow a certain way or it wouldn't take a reading and work.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, teef said:

It’s crazy that Uber and Lyft are a thing that exists, and we still have to create technology to not allow people to drink and drive. 

Thing is people will quickly find a way around it. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

Very sad, at least he didn't unintentionally take anyone out with him. Don't drink and drive it is not a good idea. 

45 minutes ago, Poleshifter said:

It surprises me that people have such an issue with wearing seat belts. Maybe they never saw the momentum demonstration with the egg strapped down vs not strapped down.

I can understand teenage boys not wanting to seem unmanly, but adults driving without seat belts makes no sense.

I have an adult step daughter who doesn’t wear them, and doesn’t make her kids wear them. It’s just a foolish choice to make.

I have no idea why anyone would ever not want to wear a seat belt. Your chances of surviving a crash dramatically go up by having one on and your chances of sever injury go down dramatically. 

54 minutes ago, Poleshifter said:

A seat belt has saved my life at least twice. I've had two accidents at 60+ involving trees, with a telephone pole included in one of them. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Hooks said:

It’s crazy that Uber and Lyft are a thing that exists, and we still have to create technology to not allow people to drink and drive. 

I don’t go out much at this point, but if I’m having more than 2 beers, I’m Ubering.   Not so much for the safety, but rather because I like the various smells. 

• Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Uber and Lyft don't exist at night in some smaller towns. But taxis still work.

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Very sad, at least he didn't unintentionally take anyone out with him. Don't drink and drive it is not a good idea. 

I have no idea why anyone would ever not want to wear a seat belt. Your chances of surviving a crash dramatically go up by having one on and your chances of sever injury go down dramatically. 

Well one person told me a story in the 90's that not wearing a seatbelt could save your life. She knew someone where the top half of the car was sheared off somehow suddenly while the bottom remained intact. A seatbelt would have prevented you from ducking quickly to avoid the shear.

39 minutes ago, chongli said:

Well one person told me a story in the 90's that not wearing a seatbelt could save your life. She knew someone where the top half of the car was sheared off somehow suddenly while the bottom remained intact. A seatbelt would have prevented you from ducking quickly to avoid the shear.

My best friend's cousin actually had his neck snapped because of a seat belt during an accident and that was the reason he died 

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, chongli said:

I am sure there are freak exceptions but you play the percentages. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.