Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah that article if anything looks worse for McDermott IMO. The team is not rallying around him. Everyone interviewed clearly feels awkward and is trying to find the right words to describe such a bizarre event.

I don't think the players on the roster outright hate him at this point, but I do think they are just tolerating him.

The game will be the barometer. If they come out lifeless, it’s over.

if they come out balling and fired up, McD’s reign of terror continues!

52 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

@CaliBills

You posted a red-x of disagreement with the above.  Just curious, what do you disagree with?  

Did I miss unequivocal statements by Allen, Diggs, Dawkins, Morse, Davis, Knox, Cook, Kincaid, etc. downplaying it?  

The problem I see is you are expecting something out of the players that frankly, I don't believe they owe you anything. 

Maybe they didn't make themselves available to the media, maybe they just don't want to discuss what they deem an in house thing.  

Maybe we as fans have zero clue of what really goes on behind close doors and what type of relationships McD has with the players.  

The Bills have been known to keep things in house.  

Look at the Diggs garbage that the media blew out of proportion in the beginning of the year.  Players eventually felt pressured by the media to say something.

I would say the same thing is happening with this.  

They do not want to talk about it and why do they owe any of us anything.  They don't

• Like (+1) 3

On 12/7/2023 at 11:45 AM, GoBills808 said:

One source cited an assistant coach with kids who’d typically arrive for offseason hours about five minutes early (7:55 a.m.) and leave no more than five minutes late (4:05 p.m.) simply to help out as much as he could back home as a father. McDermott, quite perturbed, decided to add an hour to the workday. In his mind, if his coaches weren’t going to give him the “extra,” he was going to get the “extra” out of them. He started requiring coaches to stay from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., instead of 8 to 4. Even if there was a chance he wasn’t so punctual himself.

This is an 8 hour work day with an hour lunch break, otherwise know as a JOB.

I'm on Team Fire McDermott but this is such a soft ass critique.

4 minutes ago, Process said:

The fact that almost every guy they quoted in that article wasn't even on the team a few years ago tells you everything you need to know lol. 

Even Micah. His support of McDermott was basically saying I don't need a coach to hold me accountable because I do that myself. Uses his first name, doesn't even call him coach. 

My concern is that even if McDermott doesn't have the respect of his peers or his players, will Terry care?

Exactly. Not exactly a ringing show of support by Hyde. 

12 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I have a little bit of knowledge with the situation, unless I missed something, he was incredibly popular so he decided to break from there to attempt to make some money for his work, as he should do, like anyone.  

Do you have some info that they banned him and told him not to return?  

I'm afraid this kind of calls your "knowledge of the situation" into question.  Dunne was terminated, released, let go, downsized from Bleacher Report during a staff reduction.  That's a fact.  His friends and colleagues agree.  He didn't have a choice about whether or not to "break from there". (there being BR), his position ended.

He says that he had the option to find employment elsewhere.  His track record and credentials give no reason to disbelieve this.

He chose to start "Go Long" instead.  I thought it was a gutsy move at the time, and admired it, but it's kind of going in a bit of a dark direction at times IMO.  Putting out very critical pieces which rest on large quantities of anonymous sources, for example.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 12/7/2023 at 9:45 AM, GoBills808 said:

full quote

One ex-player recalls McDermott getting upset that the offensive linemen wore Jordans on Saturday walkthroughs because Jordans didn’t seem very lineman to him. Didn’t seem tough. He preferred the big men on his offensive line walk around the facility in work boots and Carhartt jackets. When players were upset about this edict, center Mitch Morse actually drew a Jordan logo on one of his shark cowboy boots. One source cited an assistant coach with kids who’d typically arrive for offseason hours about five minutes early (7:55 a.m.) and leave no more than five minutes late (4:05 p.m.) simply to help out as much as he could back home as a father. McDermott, quite perturbed, decided to add an hour to the workday. In his mind, if his coaches weren’t going to give him the “extra,” he was going to get the “extra” out of them. He started requiring coaches to stay from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., instead of 8 to 4. Even if there was a chance he wasn’t so punctual himself.

2 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

This is an 8 hour work day with an hour lunch break, otherwise know as a JOB.

I'm on Team Fire McDermott but this is such a soft ass critique.

I hadn’t seen this snippet yet, but this is EXTREMELY hackery.

Oh man you have a kid? And a job? What a unique experience, go ahead and take off early every day. This is anonymous, so I’m assuming the kid doesn’t have medical issues or anything else, because they would include that to make McD look even worse.

you are a low rung on the totem pole of a multibillion dollar industry. Golly the man in charge expects you to work hard 

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

McDaniel is an absolute fraud. McDermott is authentic. 

What you’re perceiving is a wall that McDermott puts up in front of the blood hungry media. And now you see why. They’ll devour you the second you’re down.

I think authenticity and accountability go hand in hand. McDermott has not been genuinely accountable. Yeah he uses his stock phrase "it starts with me." But when push comes to shove he deflects blame.

After 13 seconds the special teams coach was fired and that was the last word we heard on that. After the Broncos loss this year McDermott's post game presser was seriously unhinged. Instead of taking any blame, he blamed several players one after the other, even dragging Sam Martin's play at one point, and said that 12 men on the field was simply a failure to execute. He later went on WGR and said he did not think Allen's mental state was where he wanted it to be and said that he didn't think Allen was showing enough joy on the field.

None of those examples showed accountability which means none of it was authentic. It is all a sign of a control freak feeling defensive and unable to withstand the pressure. Like I said earlier in the thread I believe McDermott is a good man but I don't buy his coaching persona at all.

A good counterexample is Joe Brady. As soon as he was hired I thought he oozed authenticity. His demeanor in press conferences and on the field at training camp was for real. After the Eagles game he took genuine accountability for the 3rd down miss in OT. Not a BS "it starts with me" before placing the blame elsewhere. I believe Brady when he said it was his fault and I believe that he will work to make sure it doesn't happen again. I have never gotten that sense from McDermott.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I have a little bit of knowledge with the situation, unless I missed something, he was incredibly popular so he decided to break from there to attempt to make some money for his work, as he should do, like anyone.  

Do you have some info that they banned him and told him not to return?  

Well, the article was actually three lengthy pieces.  

B/R shut down there longform Mag Dunne was apart of. When it shut down, Dunne decided to go independent.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

He later went on WGR and said he did not think Allen's mental state was where he wanted it to be and said that he didn't think Allen was showing enough joy on the field.

If you'll allow me, I'd like to just focus in on this.

Weren't most of us commenting on the same thing - that we felt Allen was looking like a whupped dog on the field and not showing a lot of fire or emotion, up through the Broncos game?

And weren't most of us commenting that in the two subsequent games, Jets and Eagles, he was visibly playing with a lot more energy and fire, including being heard saying "I'm ***** back!"?

But now, somehow the same observation that many of us had made, is not 'authentic" and is a sign of a control freak feeling defensive, even though we jumped from an average of 20.6 PPG in the 5 previous games, to 33 PPG (and 505 yds vs the Eagles!) in the two subsequent games to date?

I'm very confused here.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

The problem I see is you are expecting something out of the players that frankly, I don't believe they owe you anything. 

Maybe they didn't make themselves available to the media, maybe they just don't want to discuss what they deem an in house thing.  

Maybe we as fans have zero clue of what really goes on behind close doors and what type of relationships McD has with the players.  

Look at the Diggs garbage that the media blew out of proportion in the beginning of the year.  Players eventually felt pressured by the media to say something.

They do not want to talk about it and why do they owe any of us anything.  They don't

This would suggest that it wasn't out of proportion, that it was merely covered up prior to the season starting in the interests of team goals.  

That happens too.  

We'll see, but many of us have a strong hunch that those of you still defending McD are in for a suprise over the next five weeks.  

Nothing I or any of us say or do, we have no control.  Let's see.   Who knows, maybe we rise from the proverbial ashes to win the SB.   

Just now, Beck Water said:

Weren't most of us commenting on the same thing - that we felt Allen was looking like a whupped dog on the field and not showing a lot of fire or emotion, up through the Broncos game?

And weren't most of us commenting that in the two subsequent games, Jets and Eagles, he was visibly playing with a lot more energy and fire, including being heard saying "I'm ***** back!"?

But now, somehow the same observation that many of us had made, is not 'authentic" and is a sign of a control freak feeling defensive, even though we jumped from an average of 20.6 PPG in the 5 previous games, to 33 PPG (and 505 yds vs the Eagles!) in the two subsequent games to date?

I'm very confused here.

Hatchet job! Retroactively, things people were all saying “Allen is disinterested, Dorsey sucks, Gabe Davis isn’t good enough” are all now evidence of McD’s personality flaws.

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

This would suggest that it wasn't out of proportion, that it was merely covered up prior to the season starting in the interests of team goals.  

That happens too.  

We'll see, but many of us have a strong hunch that those of you still defending McD are in for a suprise over the next five weeks.  

Nothing I or any of us say or do, we have no control.  Let's see.   Who knows, maybe we rise from the proverbial ashes to win the SB.   

And if that happens then all of this would be forgotten and for nothing.

I am not defending McD, i just don't care about this specifically and do feel the article is an attack as the author did the same with Aaron Rogers in 2019.

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm very confused here.

Allens mental state is on McDermott.  It's long been talked about here.  At least by some of us.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

A good counterexample is Joe Brady. As soon as he was hired I thought he oozed authenticity. His demeanor in press conferences and on the field at training camp was for real. After the Eagles game he took genuine accountability for the 3rd down miss in OT. Not a BS "it starts with me" before placing the blame elsewhere. I believe Brady when he said it was his fault and I believe that he will work to make sure it doesn't happen again. I have never gotten that sense from McDermott.

I don't, actually.  I think he did the right thing as a coach and a leader to say that, but both of those players had coaching and film about how to play certain defensive looks pre game.  One of those two players read the defense and made the correct call as to route or throw, and one of them read the defense and was mistaken.

So maybe I just don't understand what you mean by "genuine accountability" here.  Brady took accountability in the "starts with me" sense, he's the coach and the one having the pre-game film sessions and conversations during the week of preparation, so when he talks about watching film with his players and preparing them, he can say he needs to do a better job there.

But how is this different from the accountability McDermott says when he says "it starts with me"?  Brady wasn't saying he made the wrong call for the down and distance, or he'd make another call if he had a do over, he specifically mentioned preparation and film.

16 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

the players don’t owe it to me - but if they were head over heels for the guy they’d be heaping praise publicly 

13 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm afraid this kind of calls your "knowledge of the situation" into question.  Dunne was terminated, released, let go, downsized from Bleacher Report during a staff reduction.  That's a fact.  His friends and colleagues agree.  He didn't have a choice about whether or not to "break from there". (there being BR), his position ended.

He says that he had the option to find employment elsewhere.  His track record and credentials give no reason to disbelieve this.

He chose to start "Go Long" instead.  I thought it was a gutsy move at the time, and admired it, but it's kind of going in a bit of a dark direction at times IMO.  Putting out very critical pieces which rest on large quantities of anonymous sources, for example.

Thanks for the info.  I'll validate it. 

Appreciate it.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CaliBills said:

That is your opinion.  Maybe they don't care about the outside noise and just want to focus on winning a damn game.

saying a strong couple words takes 4 seconds and changes the narrative - which has obviously gotten in the building. 

this does not read as “we are above the noise” so much as “we are uncomfortable with having to be associated”

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't, actually.  I think he did the right thing as a coach and a leader to say that, but both of those players had coaching and film about how to play certain defensive looks pre game.  One of those two players read the defense and made the correct call as to route or throw, and one of them read the defense and was mistaken.

So maybe I just don't understand what you mean by "genuine accountability" here.  Brady took accountability in the "starts with me" sense, he's the coach and the one having the pre-game film sessions and conversations during the week of preparation, so when he talks about watching film with his players and preparing them, he can say he needs to do a better job there.

But how is this different from the accountability McDermott says when he says "it starts with me"?  Brady wasn't saying he made the wrong call for the down and distance, or he'd make another call if he had a do over, he specifically mentioned preparation and film.

His words were "what can I do to put them in better position to have success next time we get that opportunity and can have a walk off."  Thats not a "it starts with me."  He said more but I'm not going to sit here and transcribe the whole thing.

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

McD will crawl under that bus? 

He will get fired potentially. He won’t fire himself. Coaches normally don’t do that.

Here are 3 assumptions that we probably agree on:

1. Dorsey was 100% on the hot seat prior to this season for underperformance

2. McD is empowered to fire him for underperformance 

3. Dorsey underperformed and was justifiably fired 

So, knowing all of that, the leap of, “If the season goes bad, McD will sell out Dorsey” isn’t a leap at all. It’s not prescient. It’s obvious. It’s just a preemptive negative spin on something we all thought was very possible to happen. Long before any of this other stuff came out.

If you got some crappy scrub tech fired for sucking, someone could try to paint that you’re doing it because you suck and you need someone to blame. It’s more likely they just sucked. 

Edited by FireChans

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

saying a strong couple words takes 4 seconds and changes the narrative - which has obviously gotten in the building. 

this does not read as “we are above the noise” so much as “we are uncomfortable with having to be associated”

That is the issue, you are reading into it to fit your narrative.  

I am simply stating we do not know and since they tend to keep it in house, we won't know.

I paid the $8 and spent the past two hours reading the article. When I finished, I canceled my subscription. In the box that asked the reason for cancellation, I wrote, "I paid $8 to read your article on McDermott. Your agenda, the contradictions, and your blatant dishonesty were all too obvious. You will never get a click from me again. "

If I had another two hours, I would pull apart all of Dunne's one-sided contradictions. That is too much time and work. I'll provide two:

Dunne attempts to condemn McDermott for not having relationships with players - being too distant and unrelatable. In a different section, he quotes multiple players who comment on how much they enjoy their one-on-one conversations with the head coach.

One anonymous (always anonymous) player complains that the Bills offense is built for a dome. In another section of the novel, Dunne condemns McDermott for wanting the offense to be more physical and run-oriented.

Dunne began writing with a conclusion, "McDermott must be fired," and worked his @$$ off to prove his conclusion. Unfortunately, in 2023, this is mistakenly called journalism.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

There is nothing authentic about a head coach publicly questioning his franchise QB's mental state. I can't think of a single other example of such a thing. When McDermott says "it starts with me" but then questions every other part of the operation before actually pointing the finger at himself, that is the opposite of authenticity. That is fake, empty accountability; merely projected, not practiced. He pays lip service to growth mindset but when have we ever seen it out of him?

Anybody can stand up in the midst of failure and cast blame at people around them. It's the easiest thing in the world to do. People that make a habit out of it are not authentic. Everyone sees right through them.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

I paid the $8 and spent the past two hours reading the article. When I finished, I canceled my subscription. In the box that asked the reason for cancellation, I wrote, "I paid $8 to read your article on McDermott. Your agenda, the contradictions, and your blatant dishonesty were all too obvious. You will never get a click from me again. "

If I had another two hours, I would pull apart all of Dunne's one-sided contradictions. That is too much time and work. I'll provide two:

Dunne attempts to condemn McDermott for not having relationships with players - being too distant and unrelatable. In a different section, he quotes multiple players who comment on how much they enjoy their one-on-one conversations with the head coach.

One anonymous (always anonymous) player complains that the Bills offense is built for a dome. In another section of the novel, Dunne condemns McDermott for wanting the offense to be more physical and run-oriented.

Dunne began writing with a conclusion, "McDermott must be fired," and worked his @$$ off to prove his conclusion. Unfortunately, in 2023, this is mistakenly called journalism.

He still won, he got your $8. 

Maybe he’s auditioning for the WaPo or the NYT.

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Thanks for the info.  I'll validate it. 

Appreciate it.  

Another source directly announcing the layoffs and who they impacted

https://awfulannouncing.com/br/bleacher-report-layoffs-ben-osborne-howard-beck-br-mag.html

Dunne was "laid off" "fired" "position eliminated" "downsized", whatever lingo you like when your employer tells you your services are no longer required.

Edited by Beck Water

22 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

We dodged a bullet because there was no bullet to dodge.  The NFL loves its fine money.  If there was a violation they would have at the very least spoke on it.  There was nothing.  No media about it.  No word from the NFL.  Absolutely nothing.  When the Titans had practice outside their facility when they shouldn't have been, it was all over the news everywhere.  The team did nothing wrong.  Had they of, the NFL would have done something.

I just dunno.  I don't really even want to guess.  All I can say is what I would do in that situation.  I would have spoke up and defended my coach if it was me and we had a good relationship.  If I didn't have a good relationship, I would probably say nothing.  So far we have seen nothing.  Thing is that the longer they don't say anything the more I am going to think it's just PR that tells them what to say.  

I will say this... I said this way long ago in this thread... I get the timing of the article but I don't like it. Only because I don't want our team being distracted by it.  Game is too huge for it.  Maybe they haven't said anything because they don't want to be distracted, I don't know.  All I know is they haven't said anything as of yet.  I don't want to make guesses on why.

I actually understand the timing for Dunne.  He wants to get it out there when fan attention is at an all-time high.  Like he said the Philly game kind of showcased everything he was discussing, so it made sense to publish when he did

25 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

IMO this is a fair concluding to make. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

If you're not winning with one of the two or three greatest quarterbacks on the planet and sources close to the owner come out and say there's no chance the head coach is fired then ***** is going to get ugly. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

There isn't a single billionaire on the planet Earth who doesn't mind "operating at a loss". Not a one.

The team is appreciating in value like crazy, probably over a billion dollars already...fans boycotting is probably going to cause them to operate at a loss year to year, which he will likely not feel at all because he can use it write off gains somewhere else and get tax savings.

I'd be very surprised if Pegula cares about the operating costs of the bills in any meaningful way, the brand and asset are far more important... this isn't the MLB, NHL or NBA where attendance matters a ton. 

37 minutes ago, FireChans said:

He will get fired potentially. He won’t fire himself. Coaches normally don’t do that.

Here are 3 assumptions that we probably agree on:

1. Dorsey was 100% on the hot seat prior to this season for underperformance

2. McD is empowered to fire him for underperformance 

3. Dorsey underperformed and was justifiably fired 

So, knowing all of that, the leap of, “If the season goes bad, McD will sell out Dorsey” isn’t a leap at all. It’s not prescient. It’s obvious. It’s just a preemptive negative spin on something we all thought was very possible to happen. Long before any of this other stuff came out.

If you got some crappy scrub tech fired for sucking, someone could try to paint that you’re doing it because you suck and you need someone to blame. It’s more likely they just sucked. 

1. Bills Offense was #2 in scoring under Dorsey—better than the year before him and the year after.

2. I can’t get employees fired

13 minutes ago, Rico said:

He still won, he got your $8. 
Maybe he’s auditioning for the WaPo or the NYT.

Yeah, that's the Cold Hard Financial Facts of the situation.

If Dunne pulled in 100 new subscribers who spent their $8, that's $800 and a Merry Christmas for family and friends.

If he pulled in 1000, that's $8000, a Merry Christmas and a trip to Hawaii (or the server bill and maybe his home's utilities and property tax too.)

If he pulled in 10,000, that's $80,000  - twice the per capita income reported for Erie County by   Census.gov

With a story that got nationwide airplay as the 9/11 anecdote from 2019 has done, I don't think it's beyond the pale that 10,000 people might have had $8 of curiousity.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I hadn’t seen this snippet yet, but this is EXTREMELY hackery.

Oh man you have a kid? And a job? What a unique experience, go ahead and take off early every day. This is anonymous, so I’m assuming the kid doesn’t have medical issues or anything else, because they would include that to make McD look even worse.

you are a low rung on the totem pole of a multibillion dollar industry. Golly the man in charge expects you to work hard 

I agree, it doesn't move the needle for me either

The funny part is how we read this. Imo Dunne isn't a very effective writer, so where you guys see malice by omission or innuendo I see a guy who could have  written a way more damaging piece but lacks the chops to put it all together in such a way

• Haha (+1) 1

McDermott came in and Pegula made him "Czar" "One Voice".
Of which he had no experience.

From all accounts he went way beyond "Coaching".
If allegations are true.  He had his hand in some dismissals, not just his underlings which He certainly  would be responsible for, but above what a Football coach in a billion dollar  organization would be involved in or responsible for.

I am sure we have all seen this, given authority goes to their head.

So does one not expect at some point the fan would be turned his way and the **** would hit it.

Edited by beer can shower

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I agree, it doesn't move the needle for me either

The funny part is how we read this. Imo Dunne isn't a very effective writer, so where you guys see malice by omission or innuendo I see a guy who could have  written a way more damaging piece but lacks the chops to put it all together in such a way

He’s no Sully, that’s for sure.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

There is nothing authentic about a head coach publicly questioning his franchise QB's mental state. I can't think of a single other example of such a thing. When McDermott says "it starts with me" but then questions every other part of the operation before actually pointing the finger at himself, that is the opposite of authenticity. That is fake, empty accountability; merely projected, not practiced. He pays lip service to growth mindset but when have we ever seen it out of him?

Anybody can stand up in the midst of failure and cast blame at people around them. It's the easiest thing in the world to do. People that make a habit out of it are not authentic. Everyone sees right through them.

Well, I do appreciate your viewpoint.

On the QB thing, it seems to me it's not been uncommmon for a coach to talk about his QB's mental state usually in the guise of "his confidence leve" or etc.

Seems to me Gailey did it with Fitzpatrick, seems to me I've heard it before with a couple other players as well - Martz talking about Warner maybe?

But, I don't make a practice of tuning in to HC pressers for 31 other teams around the league week after week.  So, if you do and you feel you have the data set to say "I can't think of a single other example of such a thing" in a meaningful way, I have to defer to your superior knowledge of HC-speak Around The League.  (Obviously, if you can't think of a single other example of such a thing but you only tune in to a few other team's HC pressers a few times a year, what you say would be True, but Meaningless)

Sounds to me as though your mind is made up and Dunne's article reinforces your viewpoint.

One of three things is true: either McDermott actually does sound authentic to his players and has the respect of the locker room

or

He doesn't

or

The picture is far more nuanced

I would say Wawrow's tweets imply (3) is true.

Do you think 95% of football fans who are not Buffalo Bills fans know anything about McDermott or how this organization is run?

Outside the Bills, what do I know in any detail about other coaches?  Very little.  I do not live & die and neither do fans.

What the knowledgeable football fan knows (and not talking casual), is that the Bills have underachieved and went from one of the SB favourites to their season that could be sunk come Sunday.

The only other team approaching that ineptitude this year (and they have no fans and have had minimal playoff success) is the LA Chargers.

Casual fans all know Josh Allen and they are wondering why they are 6-6.  

This article was needed and is a national story and yep a lot of us here simply are happy to see additional context provided.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.