Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm having trouble parsing that - do you mean "info that came out was true and all happened"?

I believe it probably happened, but I also think as you allude there are probably a bunch of positive things that didn't make it into the article.

Like I said, Dunne makes his living by publishing controversial takes.  A nuanced or balanced take wouldn't gain him subscriptions.  I think in this case, it may not have had as good a result since it's gotten so much media airplay that people will roll with that and not go subscribe.

Also not one of my normal paywall beaters worked on his site.

Sort of shocking.  

EDIT: I should note that I do pay for some news and sports subscriptions. I’ve never heard or even considered Dunne’s. If I feel it provides value ai have no issues subscribing. But I’m not paying $8 for 1 article out of the gate.

Edited by Mango

20 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

That Michigan is throwing the sink at Jim because they know he's sick of the NCAA and he beats the Ohio team? I could have told you this a few weeks ago. Not news. 

Does Harbaugh even coach games anymore?

He seems to be suspended for most of the year every season.

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

Also not one of my normal paywall beaters worked on his site.

Sort of shocking.  

EDIT: I should note that I do pay for some news and sports subscriptions. I’ve never heard or even considered Dunne’s. If I feel it provides value ai have no issues subscribing. But I’m not paying $8 for 1 article out of the gate.

I usually try my computer and hit refresh and before it loads hit stop! And it works almost 100% of the time 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Peter said:

In case anyone still had any doubts about who was calling the defense at the end of the 13 second game against the Chiefs:

That night, of course, the Bills defense also surrendered 19- and 25-yard completions to set up the game-tying field goal. One defensive starter is still pissed McDermott didn’t instruct DBs to press the Chiefs’ receivers on those two completions (“Get in front of their face,” he laments, “and challenge them!”) He’s currently loving life on a new team, but admits these two plays still serve as a 3 a.m. nightmare. Before each play, McDermott called a timeout to set the defense. That “Kodak” logic again.

He is clearly communicating into his headset as 71 seconds of real time pass before one completion and 110 seconds the next. At best, he signed off on the lax coverage. At worst, what three team sources told Go Long is true: McDermott flat-out seized playcalling from [then-defensive coordinator] Frazier those final two plays. Once [Tyreek] Hill took a quick-hitter 19 yards — to the KC 44-yard line — one coach on that staff believes McDermott’s thinking changed. “Now,” he said, “he’s worried about losing. In his mind, overtime is OK.” So, the Bills lined up in another prevent coverage. One safety was 31 yards off the ball; the other 26. Cornerback Levi Wallace was instructed to line up with outside leverage, vs. Travis Kelce, and the tight end accepted this free release to get KC in field-goal range.

Said one coach: “Imagine not being the playcaller all year long and then at a critical moment, ‘Hey, let me take the wheel.’”

"The strangest stories from Ty Dunne's blockbuster story on Sean McDermott"

So that's obviously Levi Wallace.....and it's so nice of him to throw McDermott under the bus for a play he doesn't make.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, balln said:

It’s def interesting timing. Makes me think Ty dunne is more bills fan / McD hater and less journalism

def more editorial. But there’s def smoke here ppl

lets not pretend it’s JUsT a hit piece. 

the ONLY thing I care about is that it portrays as McD as a bumbling fool and I worry it impacts critical thinking on the fly in big games 

Critical thinking at key moments during games has been an issue with McD since he got here. His strong point has never been game day management.

27 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Jaguars:  Bills scored 7 points in the first 3Q. 

Giants: Bills scoreless for first 3Q.  Scoreless.  Against the #26 defense in the NFL

NE: 3 points in 1st half, 10 points in first 3Q - against a 2-5 team

Tampa: 24 points in first 3Q against #10 D.  Looked good.

Bengals: 7 points in 1st half, whole team looked horrid

Denver: 8 points in 1st half.

I don't think we need a bunch of FrankenStats to tell us that the Offense looked disjointed and often ineffective until far too late in the game for a 6 week stretch.

Careful now.  Somebody gonna hit ya with some EPA to tell you how awesome that really is.

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

When you have a top 5 QB, you don't want a 6 game stretch of average.  Especially during the weak portion of your schedule.

Oh wait, not "top 5".  We have a "god given gift" at QB.  I think we need to expect above average with that.

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

Go ahead and ignore reality and non-biased metrics. Got it.

I see that you ignored the stats from last year as well.

The fact is that, without McClappy's defense giving up so many game losing drives, we would be sitting pretty for the playoffs.

Actually, Peter, I have receipts defending Dorsey and pointing to stats on how good the offense was last year under him (overall).

But I think you want to re-visit what "non-biased metric" means and the exact definition of a number of the metrics you cite.
Let's review:

3rd in DVOA
1st in success rate
3rd in EPA/play
4th in QBR
3rd in yds/play
2nd in 3rd down conversion %
3rd in red zone efficiency

DVOA has its believers, but let's look at what Football Outsiders has to say about it:

Football Outsiders, who uses DVOA as the heart of their work, defines the statistic as the following: “DVOA breaks down the entire season play-by-play, comparing success on each play to the league average based on a number of variables including down, distance, location on field, current score gap, quarter, and opponent quality.”

That's inherently and by design a biased metric.  Similarly for EPA/play.  "Biased" doesn't mean "bad" in this context; it just means it's not entirely objective - again, by design, for a purpose.

"QBR" as a metric has been discussed extensively here and elsewhere.  It's not well regarded.

Red zone efficiency - I'm actually not sure what stat you're talking about here.  If you mean red zone scoring (TD only) after 10 games last season Bills were towards the bottom of the league.  Later in the season they improved, but still not great.

yds/play and 3rd down conversion % would be examples of actual non-biased metrics, and yes, they're important, but they need context.  For example, in the Jax game, the Bills had a decent 3rd down conversion % of 42%.  BUT, we only had the ball for 22 minutes vs. 38 for our opponent.  We had a pretty strong yards/play, but owing to turnovers and getting a low number of 1st downs overall, it wasn't a good offensive showing at all.

Hope this helps!

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Imagine if this story came out right before week 1 this season.

McDermott would not have been safe in that stadium. 

LOL - I just texted the same thought to my Jet fan friend (before seeing your comment).  Ironically he's a guy that told me recently he thought McD is a good coach.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Careful now.  Somebody gonna hit ya with some EPA to tell you how awesome that really is.

Thanks for the warning. 

We all know I'm a stats geek and I like analytics - to a point.  But there's a place for eyeballs and there's always a need for context around stats.

Edited by Beck Water

9 hours ago, Arkady Renko said:

I have a hunch his sources are Whaley,  Daboll and that OL who got cut after signing a big contract. 

Quinton Spain.  He went to Cincinnati and played 100% of their postseason snaps in 2021 so, there's that.

9 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Critical thinking at key moments during games has been an issue with McD since he got here. His strong point has never been game day management.

I would have to agree.

Edited by Beck Water

9 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

13 secs exposed McD's inability to be accountable, I knew it would turn out like this...right down to Pegula being unwilling to do what is needed. The next 2-3 seasons are going to be rough, and I bet it will take at least that many years for Pegula to actually make the right call.

Heath Farwell screwed up 13 seconds by not getting the skwib kick call in and was effectively fired for it, with McD being man enough not to call him out in the media. 

Get your facts straight.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.