Tom Brady does a nice job summing up the problems in today's NFL in this short video

Coldfronts

I just have no time for old guys telling us how much better things used to be when they played.

Now Brady is different in some respects because he just left the game, and did so still playing at mostly a high level.

But what was so great about 1997 verses 2003 verses 2012 verses 2018 verses 2023?

It’s not the freaking fans who are pining and whining for more penalty calls. 

• Dislike 1

Tom is going be very Jordan like in his opinions about the current state of affairs. While he may have a point, he also wouldn't ever agree with applying his feelings to his last Super Bowl and likely to many more of his Super Bowls. If we want to go back far enough QB's have had a cake walk for most his era. I'm certain guys from the 70's / 80's who saw near balanced INT to TD ratios feel some type of way. Instead of saying the game is better or worse I prefer saying it's different. Personally, I liked football the most in the 1990's and 2000's prior to defensive holding being a thing but that's probably because I'm 41. Everybody has a time where everything was just perfect for them.  

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Tom is going be very Jordan like in his opinions about the current state of affairs. While he may have a point, he also wouldn't ever agree with applying his feelings to his last Super Bowl and likely to many more of his Super Bowls. If we want to go back far enough QB's have had a cake walk for most his era. I'm certain guys from the 70's / 80's who saw near balanced INT to TD ratios feel some type of way. Instead of saying the game is better or worse I prefer saying it's different. Personally, I liked football the most in the 1990's and 2000's prior to defensive holding being a thing but that's probably because I'm 41. Everybody has a time where everything was just perfect for them.  

For me it was 99-2000. Not the best offenses but the overall product was great. Now I turn it on and don’t care who wins because everyone sucks. Some call it parity, I call it sucking.

Edited by Governor
  • Like (+1) 1

I think the overall product has gone down, but I am not sure this clip really sums up why.   It isn't because the game got soft, sure Ray Lewis was fantastic in the era where teams were running the ball non-stop.  But if he had to play in this era where teams play nickel defense, and run a 4-2-5, teams would expose him consistently on wheel routes to the running back.  No way he can cover a 4.3-4.4 back coming up the sidelines.  He ran something like a 4.6.

The bigger issue with the league is how convoluted the rules have become, ironically the tuck rule is part of that.   No one knows what a catch is, no one knows what a fumble is, no one knows what intentional grounding is, no one knows what holding is, no one knows what PI is, no one knows what roughing the passer is.   There is too much interpretation of the rules at this point. 

• Like (+1) 5

I agree with just about all of it.

Could not agree more that skill and development are impeded by the CBA. Take away almost all the padded practices for all I care. But these guys need to be in the facilities more. They need consistent coaching, S&C work, film review, route running, hand work for lineman, etc. There is no reason why these guys can’t be back in the building in shorts on May or June 1 for 30-40 hours per week. The 3 20 minute OTA’s are dumb. 

At the risk of splitting hairs, I do think that there is some responsibility from the league to remove dangerous plays. But I also think players have to protect themselves first. Just quibbling where we draw the line.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think the overall product has gone down, but I am not sure this clip really sums up why.   It isn't because the game got soft, sure Ray Lewis was fantastic in the era where teams were running the ball non-stop.  But if he had to play in this era where teams play nickel defense, and run a 4-2-5, teams would expose him consistently on wheel routes to the running back.  No way he can cover a 4.3-4.4 back coming up the sidelines.  He ran something like a 4.6.

The bigger issue with the league is how convoluted the rules have become, ironically the tuck rule is part of that.   No one knows what a catch is, no one knows what a fumble is, no one knows what intentional grounding is, no one knows what holding is, no one knows what PI is, no one knows what roughing the passer is.   There is too much interpretation of the rules at this point. 

Tuck rule was removed from rule book when it started be applied to QBs other than T*m Br*dy.  The tuck rule was abolished on March 20, 2013, by a 29–1 vote of current teams. The Pittsburgh Steelers voted against abolition, while two teams, the P*triots and Red$kins, abstained from the vote.

2 hours ago, peterpan said:

He is totally right.  He named 3 superstar defensive players who could dominate games.  Can you think of 3 now? I can’t.

Matt Milano, the Bosa’s, Micah Parsons, TJ Watt, Fred Warner, Sauce Gardner, Aaron Donald, Trey Hendrickson, Aiden Hutchison 

do Buddha Baker, Jamal Adams and Max Crosby do anything anymore?

ok a few more than 3 but not many. 

Edited by Bills!Win!
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Old Coot said:

To clarify…

“I just don’t like them. At the end of the day, I just don’t like the taste,” Brady told People in a new interview. “I don’t like the smell, the texture or anything.“

https://www.thecut.com/2018/03/tom-brady-strawberries-dieting.html#

5 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

The rulebook changed such that you couldn't touch QBs because of Brady.  He petitioned for a flag every time he was touched.  He may F@#$ himself.

Josh Allen is no different, and he dives every time he is touched.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Josh Allen is no different, and he dives every time he is touched.

Its the way the game is played now.  Brady pioneered it.  Now he bloviates about a game gone soft to stay relevant.  Sad.

Josh Allen also runs over guys and doesn't turtle when contact arrives.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

softer yet anytime anyone even glanced him a penalty was called on the defender

You're not wrong. He "played the system" better than anyone ever did. And truth be told, it was smart, and any of us in the same position would probably have done the same thing.

Don’t get me wrong, I hate the guy for all the torment he has inflicted upon Bills fans over the years, but the SB wins and other stats speak for themselves; he was the GOAT. And people taking shots at him now is laughable. If you're the GOAT, what you say about the game is pertinent. What he says is about a million times more pertinent than ANY talking head sports show "expert." Most of the latter folks don't even have as much knowledge about the game as most of us commenting in here.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.