Even if we miss the playoffs....

BillsBlue

I have an odd feeling we'll make it in but if we don't there's a whole ton of positives to be taken from this season. 

- Kincaid is a true stud, he will be a game breaker for our offense next year no doubt.

- Bernard is a stud as well and a playmaker that this defense needs, he's better than Edmunds.

-Cook is a baller and will be even better next season!!

-Spencer Brown is a legit RT for the future!!

-Cyrus will be a monster next year as he was better than average this year as a rook. 

-Shakir looks to be a playmaker and will be even better next year out of the slot(Beasely replacement finally).

-We now know Gabe is not it and can cut bate and draft a real #2/ eventual Diggs replacement.

-Ed Oliver is worth the contract and has finally got it all together.

There's a lot of positives that have come out of this frustrating season imo. I'm a glass half full guy!! Hats off to Beanes drafting!!! We're going to be okay we have a lot of young talent at our nucleus now 🦬 

Edited by BillsBlue
  • Like (+1) 14
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 12

At no point during Josh's prime which we are in does a non-playoff season have any positive. You have a QB who is top 3 in the league at the height of his power and you wasted it.

All of the points you made are true, but realistically to me you didn't even give yourself a chance at the table. It is failure to the max no way around it.

• Like (+1) 13
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 24
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 8
  • Dislike 3

Pretty much everything you said is true. But like @corta765 says, when you have a QB like Josh in his prime, missing the playoffs is an inexcusable catastrophe, an embarrassment to the organization. There’s no way around that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Can we talk about Spencer Brown’s improvement this year? If he can repeat (or improve upon) it next year, he’s definitely getting an extension. 

Who would have thought we would ever say that? Kromer has done a phenomenal job with this OL. 

1 minute ago, Rubes said:

Pretty much everything you said is true. But like @corta765 says, when you have a QB like Josh in his prime, missing the playoffs is an inexcusable catastrophe, an embarrassment to the organization. There’s no way around that.

Yea but not every single thread needs to be a whine tour. OP wrote a thread about some major positives from this year from a player development standpoint, nothing wrong with talking and celebrating them. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You left off Dorsey got fired and McDermott will get fired eventually because it will happen.

This whole season has been a testament to abject failure, and there are only positives if the team at least goes deep into the playoffs in 2024, but that is in SERIOUS doubt.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Yea but not every single thread needs to be a whine tour. OP wrote a thread about some major positives from this year from a player development standpoint, nothing wrong with talking and celebrating them. 

Fair enough.

• Like (+1) 1

Any year we miss the playoffs with a healthy Josh Allen is an epic disaster.  And, frankly, if that happens .. it is completely unacceptable .. especially when given the financial resources Pegula gives this team. 

That said .. I agree with everything else you said.  We needed some guys to hit this year, and they did.  Beane needed his high draft picks to hit last year and they did.  He's going to need to continue doing that. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, BillsBlue said:

I have an odd feeling we'll make it in but if we don't there's a whole ton of positives to be taken from this season. 

- Kincaid is a true stud, he will be a game breaker for our offense next year no doubt.

- Bernard is a stud as well and a playmaker that this defense needs, he's better than Edmunds.

-Cyrus will be a monster next year as he was better than average this year as a rook. 

-Shakir looks to be a playmaker and will be even better next year out of the slot(Beasely replacement finally).

-We now know Gabe is not it and can cut bate and draft a real #2/ eventual Diggs replacement.

There's a lot of positives that have come out of this frustrating season imo. I'm a glass half full guy!! Hats off to Beanes drafting!!! We're going to be okay we have a lot of young talent at our nucleus now 🦬 

This will be unpopular with many. It’s not nearly angry enough.   😋

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Are you inferring Rapp, Benford? Douglas? 

Benford I think is guaranteed, he’s replacing Poyer at SS. 

A low key guy I’d love to see get a shot at FS is Elam. I know his stats, 1 missed tackles in his last 8 games dating back to last year. What I don’t know is the film, if he shys away from contact or if he’s a willing tackler. My memory wants to say he’s willing. It would give us an elite athlete at Safety, something we’ve desperately needed this season. 

Just thoughts! 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, corta765 said:

At no point during Josh's prime which we are in does a non-playoff season have any positive. You have a QB who is top 3 in the league at the height of his power and you wasted it.

All of the points you made are true, but realistically to me you didn't even give yourself a chance at the table. It is failure to the max no way around it.

I agree about it not being acceptable but I didn't get into that end of things, to me that's a given in the situation. I'm trying to stay positive here about the future of the team. We really do have a lot of budding stars...

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

A low key guy I’d love to see get a shot at FS is Elam. I know his stats, 1 missed tackles in his last 8 games dating back to last year. What I don’t know is the film, if he shys away from contact or if he’s a willing tackler. My memory wants to say he’s willing. It would give us an elite athlete at Safety, something we’ve desperately needed this season. 

Just thoughts! 

I think Douglas could get signed to a lengthy extension.  One for cap purposes, but two because he's likely our CB1 next year and perhaps the year after, but he has elite skills to transition to Safety later on.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

Marino missed the playoffs 7 time out of 17 years. 

Favre missed the playoffs multiple times. 

I hope it doesn't happen to Allen and the Bills this year,  or ever. 

But if and when it does, the sky won't be falling.

Exactly, we needed a year to retool and reload and figure out everything...heck we have multiple starting rookies that are playing well

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

This will be unpopular with many. It’s not nearly angry enough.   😋

I'm over being upset with the season, a few games this year that we shouldn't have lost upset me a ton and I'm not gonna be a petulant child about it anymore lol

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsBlue said:

Honestly I'd like elam at fs and hamlin at ss

I don’t think Hamlin is going from 15x inactive to our starting SS. Bills did him an amazing solid guaranteeing his contract and keeping him on roster to win COTY. 

I don’t think he’s back next year TBH, in the NFL in general. 

Benford has elite SS written all over him. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, BillsBlue said:

It’s a good way to look at it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just thoughts! 

As athletic as he Is it is hard not for think he is missing everything you look for in a safety based on lack of playing time at corner. 

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think Douglas could get signed to a lengthy extension.  One for cap purposes, but two because he's likely our CB1 next year and perhaps the year after, but he has elite skills to transition to Safety later on.  

I kind of don’t honestly. He’s already 30 and isn’t viewed as an overly athletic CB. I can see him getting an extension to get him to 32, nothing beyond that.

Hope I’m wrong! 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

Marino missed the playoffs 7 time out of 17 years. 

Favre missed the playoffs multiple times. 

I hope it doesn't happen to Allen and the Bills this year,  or ever. 

But if and when it does, the sky won't be falling.

If it does, then at least Josh will have company as the Bengals aren't making it either. In Burrow's defense he is hurt. Who would have thought that both Allen and Burrow would miss the playoffs. I mentioned this before, but these next 2 weeks will tell a lot. If they can beat the Chiefs and Cowboys, then running the table becomes a lot easier.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

As athletic as he Is it is hard not for think he is missing everything you look for in a safety based on lack of playing time at corner. 

He’s just grabby at CB and is currently playing with zero confidence.

Outside 1 terrible game this season it’s not like he has a lengthy low-lite film. He has made some good plays in his career too. 

I think he deserves a shot this summer, what’s the worst that happens? 

I don’t think Hamlin is going from 15x inactive to our starting SS. Bills did him an amazing solid guaranteeing his contract and keeping him on roster to win COTY. 

I don’t think he’s back next year TBH, in the NFL in general. 

Benford has elite SS written all over him. 

It's too bad because he's talented and can drop the hammer, he was a heck of a pick by beane....do you think benfords got enough sturdiness to be a banger like that??

3 minutes ago, BillsBlue said:

Exactly, we needed a year to retool and reload and figure out everything...heck we have multiple starting rookies that are playing well

The core has run out of tread. Time to get younger and cheaper as the bill comes due for Allen and Diggs. I hope we don't restructure any/many more contracts this offseason. Restock the shelves in 2024. We have some relief to shuffle the core around after that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BillsBlue said:

It's too bad because he's talented and can drop the hammer, he was a heck of a pick by beane....do you think benfords got enough sturdiness to be a banger like that??

Definitely, even if he isn’t a banger, he’s a consistent great tackler. He’s also better in coverage than Hamlin too. 

Hamlin may be more agile than Benford, though. I swear I saw Hamlin line up at NB, that is something I’d love to see more this summer. 

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, BillsBlue said:

I agree, but it's too early.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Gregg said:

If it does, then at least Josh will have company as the Bengals aren't making it either. In Burrow's defense he is hurt. Who would have thought that both Allen and Burrow would miss the playoffs. I mentioned this before, but these next 2 weeks will tell a lot. If they can beat the Chiefs and Cowboys, then running the table becomes a lot easier.

Burrow wouldn't be missing the play offs. He had his team absolutely rolling and was well on the way to the play offs before his injury. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

He’s just grabby at CB and is currently playing with zero confidence.

Outside 1 terrible game this season it’s not like he has a lengthy low-lite film. He has made some good plays in his career too. 

I think he deserves a shot this summer, what’s the worst that happens? 

All for doing something with the guy…  im only suggesting the things he’s rumored to struggle with tackling and zone.  Those are the two things a less athletic DB can be good at to be a great safety. 

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

The core has run out of tread. Time to get younger and cheaper as the bill comes due for Allen and Diggs. I hope we don't restructure any/many more contracts this offseason. Restock the shelves in 2024. We have some relief to shuffle the core around after that. 

For sure, I think we will have a pretty deep reset with older guys. 

I think our DL room is going to look crazy different next year. Only Groot, Ed, and King Johnathan are under contract. Technically and Von too, but we need to see how that plays out. 

DT ages well, I think Jones will be back.  

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Unfortunately - he wasn't at the height of his power in... a number of games this year.  He's partially responsible for where the team sits currently.

Jets - 4 Turnovers - 3 and out in OT

Jaguars - 4 punts to start, 6 overall and a Interception, almost 2:1 TOP advantage

Broncos - 2 picks and a fumble.  First pick took points off board, 2nd pick gave denver points

He's not solely responsible, WR drops, teammate fumbles etc.  But for a supposed best player in the game, his mistakes have cost the team wins.  8 games in a row with an interception.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

All for doing something with the guy…  im only suggesting the things he’s rumored to struggle with tackling and zone.  Those are the two things a less athletic DB can be good at to be a great safety. 

True, I just wonder if zone techniques and fundamentals for CB is different than for FS? Maybe? It’s a stretch I know. 

13 minutes ago, Mango said:

Eh they have to restructure some - but the ones you pick are players you plan to commit to long-term.  

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Burrow wouldn't be missing the play offs. He had his team absolutely rolling and was well on the way to the play offs before his injury. 

Good point. The Bengals will miss because of his injury. I doubt they beat the Jags tonight.

It's hard to look at anything about this team and call it positive should they in fact miss out on the postseason in a year when the Chiefs finally have shown marked decline and the AFC conference is up for grabs.

Also for every positive this year, there will likely be many negatives in 2024 as this roster promises to look vastly different with a pending purge of veterans and other hefty contracts given a salary cap nightmare this front office has to work through.

4 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

It's hard to look at anything about this team and call it positive should they in fact miss out on the postseason in a year when the Chiefs finally have shown marked decline and the AFC conference is up for grabs.

Also for every positive this year, there will likely be many negatives in 2024 as this roster promises to look vastly different with a pending purge of veterans and other hefty contracts given a salary cap nightmare this front office has to work through.

Again, leave the whine tour for one of the other many, many threads. 

This thread is for flower giving to some player development than has gone under the radar this season. 

Can we also talk about how everything Bobby Babich touches turns to absolute gold? 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

54 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Given our schedule there's zero excuse not to be at least 10-2 right now, possibly even 11-1 with a runaway path to 1st and homefield.  

Otherwise, this discussion doesn't even approach being complete without factoring in the one person that is responsible for this debacle.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.