Today is another example of why our season isn’t over (Updated - 1/7 - WE’RE IN as the 2 seed!)

BillsFan619

We aren't really just one game back.  Because we lost so many games in the AFC and the AFCE, we lose every tiebreaker.  

The unforgiveable loss to the Patriots, and the 12 men on the field against Denver, are what will keep the Bills out of the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, bills6969 said:

Gonna be tough to beat the chiefs coming off a loss

Doesn't matter. No more excuses for this team. If they are to be taken even remotely serious they need to win this game. A loss confirms they are frauds, and no one will take the Bills seriously... No one.  

4 minutes ago, RG Murdock said:

Doesn't matter. No more excuses for this team. If they are to be taken even remotely serious they need to win this game. A loss confirms they are frauds, and no one will take the Bills seriously... No one.  

Who is taking the Bills seriously right now? The losses to the Jets, Pats, and Broncos already made us into jokes.

The individual talent is there, but with this coaching our whole is less than the sum of our parts.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Utah John said:

We aren't really just one game back.  Because we lost so many games in the AFC and the AFCE, we lose every tiebreaker.  

The unforgiveable loss to the Patriots, and the 12 men on the field against Denver, are what will keep the Bills out of the playoffs.

The texans plays the colts and the browns.

The colts play the steelers, texans and bengals

The broncos play the chargers twice...and finish at the raiders.( and the lions in detroit)

The browns have jax, the texans and the bengals.

The steelers play at the colts and at the ravens and also have a game at  seattle

Most of the teams buffalo is competing with are going to get a few more losses and in the conference. Denver might lose that game at detroit.   The browns and steelers could both finish 9-8

I thought it was over but there is a long way to go and the bills could steal a wild card spot if denver loses two more games which they definitely can.

Edited by MikePJ76
  • Like (+1) 2

These next 2 weeks will tell the story. I do think the Bills will beat the Chargers, Pats and Dolphins who they match up well against. It's the Chiefs and Cowboys games where I think they slip up. If (It's a big if) they can win these next 2 games, then they will have a good chance to run the table.

3 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

The texans plays the colts and the browns.

The colts play the steelers, texans and bengals

The broncos play the chargers twice...and finish at the raiders.( and the lions in detroit)

The browns have jax, the texans and the bengals.

Most of the teams buffalo is competing with are going to get a few more losses and in the conference. Denver might lose that game at detroit. 

I thought it was over but there is a long way to go and the bills could steal a wild card spot if denver loses two more games which they definitely can.

Regardless, have to win the next two imo.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

absolutely.  I pointed out two weeks ago that the eagles game was not a must win but KC is.  

The eagles were ripe to be beaten and are not as good as their record.  KC is playing exactly to their record.  They are a very good not great team with a fantastic qb.  

Playing them in KC will be the issue this week.  Its going to be 7 days of we didn't get any calls in KC and then the officials will over compensate next week and everything will be a penalty.  I can only imagine the whining Big Fat Andy Reid is doing this morning to the league.  

If the Bills win in KC this week imo, all is forgiven and its the reset button on the season.  Buffalo can beat Dallas in Buffalo, it will be similar to the eagles game.  Then they can find a groove.

Lose in KC and it will be near impossible to find a way in.

Edited by MikePJ76

2 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

absolutely.  I pointed out two weeks ago that the eagles game was not a must win but KC is.  

The eagles were ripe to be beaten and are not as good as their record.  KC is playing exactly to their record.  They are a very good not great team with a fantastic qb.  

Playing them in KC will be the issue this week.  Its going to be 7 days of we didn't get any calls in KC and then the officials will over compensate next week and everything will be a penalty.  I can only imagine the whining Big Fat Andy Reid is doing this morning to the league.  

If the Bills win in KC this week imo, all is forgiven and its the reset button on the season.  Buffalo can beat Dallas in Buffalo, it will be similar to the eagles game.  Then they can find a groove.

Lose in KC and it will be near impossible to find a way in.

Again why I started a 5-0 thread down the stretch.  Really is doable, just worry if any games are close how McD will respond.

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again why I started a 5-0 thread down the stretch.  Really is doable, just worry if any games are close how McD will respond.

Well the team needs to find a way to play better 4th quarter defense and the special teams have to somehow improve because they have been poor all year.

Its interesting that the Bengals could be the team that helps the bills again.  If the bengals steal the games vs the colts and browns that could help the bills sneak in at 10-7 in the 7th spot.  

The way in is to win out. That's the only true hope we have.  10-7 is going to keep us out because of head to heads and conference record. This is the playoffs. Every game from here out is do or die. The chance we get in at the #7 seed at 10-7 is probably about 35% and a lot of things would have to fall our way in the conference.

Edited by TampaBillsJunkie

29 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Who is taking the Bills seriously right now? The losses to the Jets, Pats, and Broncos already made us into jokes.

The individual talent is there, but with this coaching our whole is less than the sum of our parts.

The Bills are the NFL's version of Casey at the Bat.

1 minute ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

The way in is to win out. That's the only true hope we have.  10-7 is going to keep us out because of head to heads and conference record. This is the playoffs. Every game from here out is do or die. The chance we get in at the #7 seed at 10-7 is probably about 35% and a lot of things would have to fall our way in the conference.

That is not exactly true though.

If the bills go 4-1 with the loss being Dallas they would finish 10-7, 4-2 in the afc east, 7-5 in the conference and 3-2 non conference.

For instance, the Broncos are 3-5 in the Conference with two games left vs the chargers and a week 18 game at the Raiders....week 18 games are as unpredictable as week 1 games.  The broncos could split with the chargers making them 7-7, lose at detroit, 7-8, beat the pats 8-8....they could be 8-8 with a 5-6 conference record heading into week 18 at the raiders.

the steelers and browns are both 5-3 in the conference.  Pittsburgh has the colts bengals and ravens.  They could lose all 3 plus they play at seattle.  

The browns  have the jags, texans.....and a week 18 game at the bengals.   They could lose all 3.  

What the bills need is to win all their afc games and hope the bengals can screw up cleveland and pittsburgh's seasons.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

wrong. 

win all 4 conference games and lose to Dallas and prob get in as wild card, which would be fine. 

Seems like the other wild card candidates are now cratering or have no QB and are set up to lose 2 or more down the stretch.  

3 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

If the bills go 4-1 with the loss being Dallas they would finish 10-7, 4-2 in the afc east, 7-5 in the conference and 3-2 non conference.

For instance, the Broncos are 3-5 in the Conference with two games left vs the chargers and a week 18 game at the Raiders....week 18 games are as unpredictable as week 1 games.  The broncos could split with the chargers making them 7-7, lose at detroit, 7-8, beat the pats 8-8....they could be 8-8 with a 5-6 conference record heading into week 18 at the raiders.

the steelers and browns are both 5-3 in the conference.  Pittsburgh has the colts bengals and ravens.  They could lose all 3 plus they play at seattle.  

The browns  have the jags, texans.....and a week 18 game at the bengals.   They could lose all 3.  

What the bills need is to win all their afc games and hope the bengals can screw up cleveland and pittsburgh's seasons.

correct. 

We love Mitch Trubisky, etc, but he can barely take the snap.   

Browns are rolling through multiple backup QBs and lost to the freakin Rams.  

3 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

wrong. 

win all 4 conference games and lose to Dallas and prob get in as wild card, which would be fine. 

Seems like the other wild card candidates are now cratering or have no QB and are set up to lose 2 or more down the stretch.  

correct. 

The rams are much better than people think.  That is a very talented offense with some good defensive players and one of the better coaches in the league.

Assuming we will hold no tie breakers and the Bills finish 10-7 (allowing one more loss). We need 4 out of the following 6 records (or worse) to happen.

• Browns to go 2-3
  • Steelers to go 2-3
  • Colts to go 2-3
  • Texans to go 2-3
  • Broncos to go 3-2
  • Bengals to go 4-2

Here they are in the order I think they are most likely

1. Bengals will lose at least 2 more games with Burrow out all year.
  2. Broncos will lose 2 more games (split with the Chargers and lose to the Lions).
  3. Steelers will lose 3 more games (at Colts, at Seahawks, at Ravens).
  4. Browns will lose 3 more games (Jacksonville, at Texans, and then one more loss between Bears, Jets and Bengals).
  5. Colts will lose 3 more games (Raiders, at Falcons, Texans)
  6. Texans will lose 3 more games (2x Titans, at Colts)

Obviously there is some overlap in these scenarios because teams play each other. If the Bills can get to 10-7 I think the most likely playoff teams will be Colts, Texans and Bills (with the Browns having a decent chance of knocking out the Bills if they can manage to only get 2 more losses the rest of the way).

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

not nearly over.   

win all 4 conference games and prob sneak in as a wild card.  totally doable.   

Win out and we win the division if Miami loses just one game.  

Miami is 9-3. The Bills are 6-6. The Dolphins are going to have to lose more than one game for the Bills to win the division. It's either WC or go home for the Bills this year.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

wrong. 

correct. 

Yes I know 10-7 could make it (as long as the Bills beat KC), but stating that for confidence and the teams state of mind. 

happens every single year... We go from "you might need 11 wins to get in, and even then..." to an 8-8 team technically being alive in week 18 if they win and 13 other things happen (and more often than it seems possible they do).

In the NFL, fortune favors those who win lots of games

• Thank you (+1) 1

If the Bills can find a way to win against the Chiefs on the road I would agree the season is far from over. But that sad reality is this team could win out and still miss the postseason because of tiebreakers.

It's unreal how many teams in the AFC are in the playoff picture right now including both the Colts and Texans which are said teams that would beat the Bills in every important tiebreaker right now if they were even but both are a game better currently.

15 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

If the Bills can find a way to win against the Chiefs on the road I would agree the season is far from over. But that sad reality is this team could win out and still miss the postseason because of tiebreakers.

It's unreal how many teams in the AFC are in the playoff picture right now including both the Colts and Texans which are said teams that would beat the Bills in every important tiebreaker right now if they were even but both are a game better currently.

There is no way we win out and miss. 3/4 of Houston, Indy, Cleveland and Pittsburgh would have to go 4-1. Cleveland and Pittsburgh are a lot more likely to go 1-4 than 4-1.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills are getting worse each year and the other teams in the AFC are passing them by with backup QB's and frankly bad QB play.  No playoffs likely this year and probably next year too.  

It was a fun 3 year run, but back to being awful.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

Which is the 35% probability

15 hours ago, Gman10 said:

It would be amazing if we can go undefeated rest of season. Its possible. 
-Chiefs

-Cowboys

-Chargers

-Pats

-Dolphins

And I believe the Fins will lose to Ravens and possibly the Boys...  If that happens then the Mia game is for the division

• Awesome! (+1) 2

The Buffalo Bills season is over and the Bills have no one to blame but themselves. It’s time for the Bills players to look in the mirror enough with the forever excuses. The bottom line is the Bills weren’t good enough. Some Bills fans have to wake up the Miami Dolphins are winning the AFC East Division and that makes this Bills fan sick. Have some pride Bills fans the Dolphins are winning the AFC East enough with the excuses if any Bills fan is over 50 years I am 55 years old soon to be 56 years old in December like me it makes one sick it’s worse than the New England Patriots. The Dolphins want to make me sick they are winning the AFC East. With that out of the way carry on with the never ending excuses in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

16 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

It's beyond me why anyone would give up on the season given the talent we have. I'm not overly optimistic - I see the warts we all see - just seems like some folks are more interested in the hope of the offseason (when no games/championships can be won) over what's possible and right in front of us.

What is right in front of us is a big game against KC.  

If we win then we can get excited.  We have some talent.  But our defense is old and beat up.  It’s not dominant.   And our head coach is a choker who does not coach to win. 

But we do have a great QB.  Time to ride him into the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gregg said:

Miami is 9-3. The Bills are 6-6. The Dolphins are going to have to lose more than one game for the Bills to win the division. It's either WC or go home for the Bills this year.

right.  not sure how I missed that small fact.   unbridled optimism I guess.  trust it! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

right.  not sure how I missed that small fact.   unbridled optimism I guess.  trust it! 

If the Bills can somehow run the table and the Dolphins lose two (Ravens, Cowboys most likely) then the season finale would be for the division. But the chances of this happening are slim and none.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Success said:

Chiefs game is everything.  I'll feel pretty good if we can get that W.

If we win, it’s kind of wild that we’ll only be one game behind the Chiefs record-wise.

It definitely is a very winnable game and we could be catching them at the right time.

We should have some confidence as well, since we’ve beaten them twice the past couple years in Arrowhead.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

It’s why those quitting the season after the Broncos game and Eagles game are losers. 

“Wahhhhhh how could we ever win a game with Sean McDermott. “

The guy brought you the winning culture that you suddenly take for granted. The one that didn’t exist in your mind’s eye 5 years ago.  Let’s see the winning culture you’ve developed in your life to be throwing stones at him. 

*crickets*

Winning culture brought to you by Josh Allen.  I'm convinced it's th qb and not the coach.  We are severely handicapped against better teams due to coaching

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's like the TV pundits say, the Bills are irrelevant right now

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Gary Marangi said:

Don't we always look out of sorts coming off a bye week these past years?

We often have under McDermott, despite the 7-0 record.

In 2020 we had 3 4th quarter turnovers at home against a bad Chargers team and barely won. In 2021 at home against Tua and the 1-6 Dolphins, we had 3 points late in the 3rd (the game preceding the 9-6 Jags game). In 2022 (again at home) we looked out of sorts against Green Bay on SNF in the game that seemed to send us on our way to late season mediocrity.

The results have not been as good as the record suggests, at least not recently. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

• BillsFan619 changed the title to Today is another example of why our season isn’t over (continues on 12/7)
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.