Sources say ZERO PERCENT chance McD is fired

Brand J

3 minutes ago, boater said:

Everyone wants to fire McD, without any thought of replacing him.

You have the Madden types who blurt out "back up the Brinks truck for Harbaugh"  ...without any thought as to whether he's interested in leaving Michigan where he is King of his own universe, or any thought as to whether he has any interest in tax heavy and snowy WNY.

You have the Ben Johnson types...get in line with all the other teams who will fire their HC this season.

You have the Daboll types---I hope they're just saying that for laughs. That's a leap of fantasy.

Even Frank Reich's name has been bandied by those with terminal nostalgia disease.

Reality: you fire McD, it's a complete and total crapshoot as to what will replace him.

This is what I’ve been saying, however there is a small list:

Eric Bienimy - OC Washington (former OC KC): History of good offensive production, but it was all with KC. Washington is a bottom ranked offense this season. Also has a history of players not liking him. At all. 

Ben Johnson - OC Detroit: Year 2 of being an OC, year two of being top 5 in several key categories. He’s expected to be the top HC candidate.

Kellen Moore - OC LAC: 5 years of OC experience, previous 4 with Dallas. Offense has been in the top 11 regularly, few seasons being in the top 5. 

Next Year: 
Bobby Slowik - OC Houston (Rookie OC)

Brian Johnson - OC Philly (Rookie OC)

Joe Brady - OC Buffalo 

16 hours ago, JohnNord said:

It’s not working for a 6-5 Houston Texans led by a former DC from San Fran

It’s likely Dunkirk Don

HC matchups in the SB going back the last 10 years show an overwhelming trend of offensive coaches who came up on that side. That's the better metric to illustrate where the league is going.   The only guy you could make the case who's getting to the SB these last 10 years is Belichick and even then he's the best coach in NFL history.  Even Pete Carroll hasn't won squat since 2014.    

11 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

My major issue with McDermott is that we keep pouring resources into the defense and it's ok at best. 

Other than that I can live with him. 

It's been said before here that the Pegula's were regretting giving McD so much authority over their franchise.  In fact, I'm not sure one guy has had that much pull at OBD ever: the HC who hired his own GM and is the major factor into personnel decisions.  Sure, there's discussion during the off-season, but it's funny that most off-seasons right out of the gate they're signing defensive UFA's and, until Kincaid, were using that first round pick on McD's side of the ball.  

11 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

He has a Tesla so who cares 

At least he doesn't have a Ford Taurus.  

And, is Terry's Tesla self-driving?  I don't think those are cleared for roads yet, but he is 72-73 now and older people don't always know to turn their turn signal off.  

Edited by BillsVet

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

HC matchups in the SB going back the last 10 years show an overwhelming trend of offensive coaches who came up on that side. That's the better metric to illustrate where the league is going.   The only guy you could make the case who's getting to the SB these last 10 years is Belichick and even that I'd say.  Even Pete Carroll hasn't won squat since 2014.   

It's been said before here that the Pegula's were regretting giving McD so much authority over their franchise.  In fact, I'm not sure one guy has had that much pull at OBD ever: the HC who hired his own GM and is the major factor into personnel decisions.  Sure, there's discussion during the off-season, but it's funny that most off-seasons right out of the gate they're signing defensive UFA's and, until Kincaid, were using that first round pick on McD's side of the ball.  

At least he doesn't have a Ford Taurus.  

And, is Terry's self-driving?  I don't think those are cleared for roads yet, but he is 72-73 now and older people don't always know to turn their turn signal off.  

Pegula is the owner. If he GAVE all the power to McDermott, then he could just as easily take it back. He doesn't have to regret anything just fix it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

Pegula is the owner. If he GAVE all the power to McDermott, then he could just as easily take it back. He doesn't have to regret anything just fix it.

I actually agree with Gregggg here.  I don’t think Terry regrets giving Sean that much power because for the most the part he’s done a great job.

Look at the Bills from 2014-2017 when he first bought them.  An absolute shitshow filled with cronies from the Ralph and sheer incompetence from Doug Whaley.  

McDermott comes in with a detailed plan how to fix things and actually does it both on and off the field.  

If Terry was unsatisfied with Sean as HC, it wouldn’t be hard to part ways.  I guess you may have to worry about how the GM will work with the next HC, but that’s how it goes.   I think Terry still believes in Sean

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I actually agree with Gregggg here.  I don’t think Terry regrets giving Sean that much power because for the most the part he’s done a great job.

Look at the Bills from 2014-2017 when he first bought them.  An absolute shitshow filled with cronies from the Ralph and sheer incompetence from Doug Whaley.  

McDermott comes in with a detailed plan how to fix things and actually does it both on and off the field.  

If Terry was unsatisfied with Sean as HC, it wouldn’t be hard to part ways.  I guess you may have to worry about how the GM will work with the next HC, but that’s how it goes.   I think Terry still believes in Sean

If McDermott got fired and Beane stayed, then I don't think we would have to worry about how he would work with the next HC. Beane would be the one leading search and recommending to Terry this is the guy. The new coach's philosophy would be in line with Beane's so they would work well together.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Gregg said:

That goes for every team in every sport. We don't know who will or won't be available as far as potential coaches go until after the season. McDermott did a good job getting the franchise turned around, but it is fair to question if he can get the Bills to a Super Bowl. So far what we have seen the answer is NO. I don't want to keep watching McDermott fail just because the Bills may or may not finding a better coach. The bar is raised for this franchise with #17. I have mentioned this in other threads but if Belichick and the Pats part ways I would love to see Bill coaching in Orchard Park. PROVEN WINNER with an elite level QB as well as a much better DC than McDermott.

Heh. I could go for Bill, *IF* he isn't the GM.

I don't think his ego would give Brandon Beane the space to operate.

• Like (+1) 1

I continue to waffle on this point. After last game I would have fired him on the spot. I have softened on this point because I remember the past and I see what this team has become since he became coach. I believe that he sticks around and they bring in a new DC and maybe a new OC, but that is to be determined on the final five games. So far change in OC looks encouraging. 

As others have said, the Organization has to leak 0% chance because they are not eliminated.   Believe me, if/when they get eliminated, the chances of firing McDermott will be north of 0%.   This team should absolutely be a playoff club.  The AFC is not nearly as "stacked" as we thought and Joe Burrow/Cincinnati, who were a huge threat are cooked this season.  The Browns have no QB, the Steelers QB has been playing poorly, Houston has a rookie QB and have overachieved, the Colts are meh.

• Agree 1

the reason we have been so strong is of course because we have a generational talent at qb. this is what the people in charge need to realize. we need to do everything in our power to set him up for success. I just don't think McD is that guy, and I think most others are on that same page. He is a *good* coach...not great. Though he will make some other franchise very happy, he just isn't right for what we have. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I like McD a lot more than a certain faction of our “fan base”.  At least he is a grown up. 

I do as well.  I am a bit worried over how he’s called defense in the final moments of games this season.   Hoping to see the change during the final 5

13 minutes ago, Gregg said:

If McDermott got fired and Beane stayed, then I don't think we would have to worry about how he would work with the next HC. Beane would be the one leading search and recommending to Terry this is the guy. The new coach's philosophy would be in line with Beane's so they would work well together.

The problem is that Terry likes Sean as HC and doesn’t want to change

7 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Is it more likely the Bills win a SB with Allen & no McD, or McD with no Allen?

Afterwards, you won’t fret about the Bills firing McDummy. 

We won’t have to fret…there’s a 0% chance of that happening 

As has been mentioned, offensive coaches are the best way to super bowl success in today's nfl. Even when Bill B. was winning in NE, even when Brady didn't have as many weapons as he deserved, it was because Bill was the BEST defensive coach in the nfl. if you are going to be a defensive head, you better the best, or near it. Not just GOOD at it. 

13 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

I continue to waffle on this point. After last game I would have fired him on the spot. I have softened on this point because I remember the past and I see what this team has become since he became coach. I believe that he sticks around and they bring in a new DC and maybe a new OC, but that is to be determined on the final five games. So far change in OC looks encouraging. 

This is almost guaranteed to happen.  I think part of his plan to fix things next season will involve hiring a fresh new DC (I think it will be Bobby Babich) and retaining Brady as OC.  

He stays as HC but we get new, younger coordinators with connections to the team but different ideas than their predecessors.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Man with No Name said:

As has been mentioned, offensive coaches are the best way to super bowl success in today's nfl. Even when Bill B. was winning in NE, even when Brady didn't have as many weapons as he deserved, it was because Bill was the BEST defensive coach in the nfl. if you are going to be a defensive head, you better the best, or near it. Not just GOOD at it. 

At least be the best in the 4th quarter.  Decent to Great for 3 quarters and 32nd in the 4th can't and shouldn't be acceptable. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.