Sources say ZERO PERCENT chance McD is fired

Brand J

32 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Let me start by saying I fully expect him to be back. He ain't going anywhere I agree. But just to put a spin on what you said because a message board is a place for debate...

1. I'll agree that's a good point. But twice we've been bounced by the QB Pegula allegedly wanted (Mahomes) and McDermott talked him out of and another we laid an egg at home. Both those facts have to burn.

2. This to me is even more reason he should be fired. No, he cannot control injuries. However, 2 of those 3 major injuries were replaced. Lost Jones, got Joseph. Lost Tre, got Rasul. Now, granted All-Pro LBers aren't grown on trees. But when you hire a coach that specializes in one side on the ball, you should count on him being able to do more with less. He hasn't.  And even with what he does have there is still more talent on this defense than on many others that play better. I feel he's actually UNDERACHIEVING with what's left.

3 & 4. I tie these two together. Both Dorsey being on the Bills, being promoted to OC and McDermott taking over at DC are choices that Sean made and/or signed off on. Neither worked. And those 2 choices basically cost the Bills games this year. And those games will ultimately cost the season in all likelihood. This after 3 years of regression. 

Those are all VALID reasons that the fans want him gone. We can see the writing on the wall. I've noticed that when it comes to HCs fans usually have the right view point about a season earlier than the owners. 

For Pegula, there's more than just "Bye Sean". A choice to fire him basically fires about 50 other people. Coaches, trainers, scouts. And that does, I'm sure play into it for a guy like Terry. He'll bring Sean back feeling he and his people deserve the right to get it right because they did it in 2017. And we will likely be in the market for a new coaching staff next season.

And another wasted Josh Allen season 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Let me start by saying I fully expect him to be back. He ain't going anywhere I agree. But just to put a spin on what you said because a message board is a place for debate...

1. I'll agree that's a good point. But twice we've been bounced by the QB Pegula allegedly wanted (Mahomes) and McDermott talked him out of and another we laid an egg at home. Both those facts have to burn.

2. This to me is even more reason he should be fired. No, he cannot control injuries. However, 2 of those 3 major injuries were replaced. Lost Jones, got Joseph. Lost Tre, got Rasul. Now, granted All-Pro LBers aren't grown on trees. But when you hire a coach that specializes in one side on the ball, you should count on him being able to do more with less. He hasn't.  And even with what he does have there is still more talent on this defense than on many others that play better. I feel he's actually UNDERACHIEVING with what's left.

3 & 4. I tie these two together. Both Dorsey being on the Bills, being promoted to OC and McDermott taking over at DC are choices that Sean made and/or signed off on. Neither worked. And those 2 choices basically cost the Bills games this year. And those games will ultimately cost the season in all likelihood. This after 3 years of regression. 

Those are all VALID reasons that the fans want him gone. We can see the writing on the wall. I've noticed that when it comes to HCs fans usually have the right view point about a season earlier than the owners. 

For Pegula, there's more than just "Bye Sean". A choice to fire him basically fires about 50 other people. Coaches, trainers, scouts. And that does, I'm sure play into it for a guy like Terry. He'll bring Sean back feeling he and his people deserve the right to get it right because they did it in 2017. And we will likely be in the market for a new coaching staff next season.

I looks more and more like the Pegulas are more committed to stability and sustainability then to winning a Super Bowl.

• Vomit 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

McDermott is a great coach.  I am so happy we have him.  We are lucky.  He is a born leader and he created a positive, winning culture where we used to have a clown car. 

Perfect?  Of course not, what coach is.  He is still a young man, he can fix his blind spots and lean into his strengths.    

McDermott has had seven years to "fix his blind spots". Seven years is a long-ass time in the NFL. A handful of seasons with an elite quarterback and failing to reach the Super Bowl is not indicative of a "great coach".

If he was a great coach we would have at least one Super Bowl ring and likely multiple appearances. 

He's not a great coach. Not even close.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Y’all are going to be even more excited when McD and BB go heavy on defense this draft and FA. The only DL under contract for next year are Groot and Oliver and we should be replacing both Hyde and Poyer. 

If they draft a WR in round 1 and keep the same O-Line then I'm actually fine with the talent.  Shakir looks like a great depth piece, and a high investment in WR will take pressure off of Diggs/Kincaid.  Knox is your RZ TE and Shorter might be able to work his way into a WR5-6 role. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I can see 2026 now, the Bills coming off another year of not making the playoffs, now making 3 years in a row.

The Bills still rolling out McDermott as their head coach.  First game ever at a new stadium not being a sellout.  

All because they were happy McDermott helped break the drought.

Was the process worth it? 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's not so much using all the draft picks on defense, which is bad enough, but not playing a 1st round pick almost right away is inexcusable. By that I mean the coach seems to have decided almost right away that Elam is never seeing the field. 

You traded up for a guy you won't freaking play? 

There's a pattern of signing or drafting guys and not using them on both offense and defense. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

12 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Y’all are going to be even more excited when McD and BB go heavy on defense this draft and FA. The only DL under contract for next year are Groot and Oliver and we should be replacing both Hyde and Poyer. 

I know I'm in the vast minority here, but I'm actually looking forward to it. We need some youth and speed on that side of the ball. We've "run it back" far too many times. Look at what a bit of new blood has brought to the MLB position. 

14 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Right it's totally unreasonable to expect the defense to be able to function if fewer than half the starters aren't first round picks or all pros

1 minute ago, Negan said:

I can see 2026 now, the Bills coming off another year of not making the playoffs, now making 3 years in a row.

The Bills still rolling out McDermott as their head coach.  First game ever at a new stadium not being a sellout.  

All because they were happy McDermott helped break the drought.

Was the process worth it? 

The new stadium will buy them a year as far as attendance goes. At that time, it will have been 53 years since a new stadium was built in OP. Fans are going to be curious to check the place out. See what it's like to watch a game there. Check out the concourse, bars, shops, bathrooms and anything else the new stadium offers. But once the "newness" of the place wears off then they better have a winning team at the prices they will charge.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

And another wasted Josh Allen season 

Let me ask, what happened to Josh Allen in the first half of the Jacksonville, NY Giants, Bucs, Patriots, Bengals, and Broncos?

You know, when the offense couldn't get going...couldn't run, couldn't pass, and was falling on its face against some bad teams. The Bills were lucky that the refs didn't call penalties at the end of the Giants, and Bucs games or Buffalo just might be 4-8 right now. 

Wasn't Josh Allen the QB in those losses to Jacksonville 20-25? New England 25-29? Cincinnati 20-24? Denver 22-24? 

Yet, suddenly scores 32 points against one of the best defenses in the NFL. Takes the NFC Camps to OT in a 34-37 loss. 

Talk to Ken Dorsey...who is now unemployed. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Let me ask, what happened to Josh Allen in the first half of the Jacksonville, NY Giants, Bucs, Patriots, Bengals, and Broncos?

You know, when the offense couldn't get going...couldn't run, couldn't pass, and was falling on its face against some bad teams. The Bills were lucky that the refs didn't call penalties at the end of the Giants, and Bucs games or Buffalo just might be 4-8 right now. 

Wasn't Josh Allen the QB in those losses to Jacksonville 20-25? New England 25-29? Cincinnati 20-24? Denver 22-24? 

Yet, suddenly scores 32 points against one of the best defenses in the NFL. Takes the NFC Camps to OT in a 34-37 loss. 

Talk to Ken Dorsey...who is now unemployed. 

Dorsey should have been gone after the Giants game. IMHO. 

• Like (+1) 1

There are still 5 regular season games to go. A lot can happen in that time. Just a few short weeks ago, I was a passenger on the Don't Fire McDermott train. But now, I can see it pulling in to the station.

Most owners want to win because that is how they sell tickets. Changing coaches can be a means to get those wins. But Buffalo is different. History shows that these fans will pay for a crap product.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.