Who gives Pegula advice?

tomur67

8 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

As much as it seems odd, I actually think he takes a lot of what Jerry Jones says to heart. He seems to look up to Jones as sort of an NFL mentor of sorts from what I have seen.

Not being a jerk, genuinely curious, where do you get this from?  Because he hired Jones' company for the stadium?

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

This is not what the OP is talking about.  I am sure there are a few "veterans of the game" floating around that Pegula has a relationship with and would lean on for input from time to time, off the record.

He has a lot of access to lots of famous/professional/ex-NFL people.

Who those specific individuals are, God only knows.

When things were going lousy with the Sabres a LONG time ago, he was schmoozing with Pat LaFontaine and some sort of formal gathering and that led to Terry hiring him as GM b/c he thought Patty had a good idea/plan for turning the team around, and Pegula TRUSTED Patty as the guy to "fix things".  I guess that was based on....I don't know....Patty's career as a great SABRE PLAYER.

You can see why no one wants this guy to pick a new coach once McFingerpointer gets fired.

Unless it's a total house cleaning Terry won't have to. Beane will get the chance to hire his first HC.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Not being a jerk, genuinely curious, where do you get this from?  Because he hired Jones' company for the stadium?

That was one thing, yes. I've also seen where he consulted with Jones early on in the stadium deal (right after was the weak attempt at hinting without a new stadium the Bills would look at other cities). He also from what I can recall consulted Jones's advice on hiring a consulting firm when Pegula was on the coaching search that brought us McDermott. There have been a few other times where Jones has been said to have had Pegula reach out to him but I'm just waking up so brain is a bit scrambled still lol

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

I hear he comes to this board, reads it and then does the opposite.   Good strategy.  

hahaha.  Actually, now that I think about it, we probably would have been better off firing McD after the 2020 season (whereas 99% of this board, myself included, was more than fine retaining him after going to the AFCCG)

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

This is not what the OP is talking about.  I am sure there are a few "veterans of the game" floating around that Pegula has a relationship with and would lean on for input from time to time, off the record.

He has a lot of access to lots of famous/professional/ex-NFL people.

Who those specific individuals are, God only knows.

When things were going lousy with the Sabres a LONG time ago, he was schmoozing with Pat LaFontaine and some sort of formal gathering and that led to Terry hiring him as GM b/c he thought Patty had a good idea/plan for turning the team around, and Pegula TRUSTED Patty as the guy to "fix things".  I guess that was based on....I don't know....Patty's career as a great SABRE PLAYER.

You can see why no one wants this guy to pick a new coach once McFingerpointer gets fired.

The LaFontaine move was actually his one really good decision with the Sabres.  LaFontaine had Craig Patrick behind the scenes advising him, and ownership was to be completely cut off from hockey.  What I hear is that Kim Pegula was constantly crossing beams with LaFontaine's duties and it resulted in a blow up after only a few months.

With all his difficulty with the Sabres, I thought for sure Pegula would have someone on staff during the Bills purchase process who would be planning and coordinating.  Once the purchase was complete, the Bills would be restructured to finally join the 21st century.

Instead he was 'impressed' Russ Brandon knew his way around the building and he gave him even more authority.  What a rube.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

As much as it seems odd, I actually think he takes a lot of what Jerry Jones says to heart. He seems to look up to Jones as sort of an NFL mentor of sorts from what I have seen.

I just hope he takes it with a grain of salt . Jerry has to be smart about some things just some of his actions over the years have been a bit suspect & then the fact that he doesn't care about the small market teams like the Bills just makes it worse the guys ego just rubs me the wrong way .

12 hours ago, tomur67 said:

Wondering if Pegula has some people or person ( outside the organizatjon ) that gives him advice as to hiring or firing coaches or other management positions?  Anyone ever read or heard?

This is a very good question that no one in the media seems to know because Terry never talks!

All of his top executives have been fired over the years like Russ Brandon or Ron Raccuia (though he probably should never take football advice from them to begin with)

This leads me to be believe that he leaves his football people (Beane and McDermott) and his hockey people (Kevin Adams) to largely run the show.  

But in the past I remember reporters (Tim Graham) say that Pegula did get advice from people outside the organization both on a formal and informal basis.   Years ago, I feel one of those people were Bill Polian.  Of course, this was before the McDermott hire.

To those who have guessed Jerry Jones?  It could be correct.  I know he hired Legends Hospitality to take over the concessions.  But seeing how Jones has been very loyal to Jason Garrett and Mike McCarthy, this would not bode well for the Fire McDermott crowd.  

1 hour ago, T master said:

I just hope he takes it with a grain of salt . Jerry has to be smart about some things just some of his actions over the years have been a bit suspect & then the fact that he doesn't care about the small market teams like the Bills just makes it worse the guys ego just rubs me the wrong way .

But the Bills hired Jerry’s Legends Hospitality company to take over concessions, so he now has a direct interest in the team.  

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

That was one thing, yes. I've also seen where he consulted with Jones early on in the stadium deal (right after was the weak attempt at hinting without a new stadium the Bills would look at other cities). He also from what I can recall consulted Jones's advice on hiring a consulting firm when Pegula was on the coaching search that brought us McDermott. There have been a few other times where Jones has been said to have had Pegula reach out to him but I'm just waking up so brain is a bit scrambled still lol

Appreciate it brother.  Hadnt seen that in the past.  As much as I think Jones isnt the best guy he's done a pretty good job with the Cowboys considering he wasnt always a football guy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.