Do you wonder if the league is fixed?

The Red King

14 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

because an abundance of caution was indicated for a novel virus?

sounds like American politics.....

Remember when Joe Ferguson played on that ankle at San Diego in the playoffs? Man that was football. One of my most remembered games of all time and it was a loss. In today's rules that would have been a home game.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I'm not going to say it's fixed, but I would have to say yea to this. To a degree. This is his business. He's making a ton of money off a fan base that has been loyal win or lose. A super bowl of course would be a party for him, but he's a business man. He bought the team to make money. 

These guys want Super Bowls.  Yes, they're there to make money but they're also competitive.  I mean you see the emotion of some of these owners.  

To say to a degree, maybe for some owners.  The ones that you see by their actions and others, you see this is their passion.  Are some just very good actors?

To say that all 32 would buy in to a rigged system just to make money because they don't care about winning....(I know you didn't say this)

How do you get the entire city of Green Bay to buy into that?  

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

These guys want Super Bowls.  Yes, they're there to make money but they're also competitive.  I mean you see the emotion of some of these owners.  

To say to a degree, maybe for some owners.  The ones that you see by their actions and others, you see this is their passion.

To say that all 32 would buy in to a rigged system just to make money because they don't care about winning....(I know you didn't say this)

You mean title town might complain? Bart Starr, Brett Favre and all the qbs they had . . In San Diego the guy goes for 4th and short from his own 20 for how many years? Look at all the franchises that really don't put effort to win. Maybe its all in their deal. Idk but some are obviously not making an effort to compete. 

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

To say to a degree, maybe for some owners.  The ones that you see by their actions and others, you see this is their passion.  Are some just very good actors?

I get what your saying for sure. I'm not the "always or never" guy. I'm sure there are those who want to win. Jerry for example. We all make fun of him, but that dude wants to win. I obviously don't have facts and numbers to back this up but I'm sure there is a percentage of owners who just made a business decision and then, sure, the get caught up in the competition of the game. There is grey in this conversation for sure lol. It's an interesting topic for sure that we may never know everything about. But in this age of everything getting exposed and plastered on social media, I would think that if any of the Fixed narrative is true we would have some real evidence. As you can tell from my ramblings, I am torn and unconvinced of much of it. Go Bills

So lets take care of all possibilities why the NFL will choose a particular team to make the playoffs:

Steelers -- large nationwide fanbase,  blue-blood team (whatever that means), Rooney is an influential owner (no idea if this is still true but facts don't matter).

Jaguars -- NFL desperately trying to build up fanbase in the UK.

Bills -- Josh Allen is one of the most popular players in the NFL,  Buffalo Bills are loveable losers, like the Chicago Cubs  were before they won.  It would be a great 30 for 30 story and the Bills have a lot of support as team #2 among fans of other teams.  Bills  need to be in the playoffs to to sell PSLs for the new stadium.

Texans -- large market, exciting young player in CJ Stroud, great turnaround story and good to have a fresh face in the playoffs.

Colts -- I've got nothing, maybe Gardner Minshew?  He seems like a fun guy.

Edited by Billy Claude

On 11/27/2023 at 12:29 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You can’t do it. Too many people involved. But you can have 1-2 bad apples and they can do enough damage.

But no, I don’t believe the NFL is fixed. Officiating isnt getting worse, it’s always been bad. We just have more rules and more cameras now. Rules complicate an already difficult job. Cameras show every mistake they make in 4k ultra slow motion.

It’s 100% fixed by the refs. Not every game. But games that would result in a favorable outcome for the league.  And it’s done by the refs. Holding happens almost every play. Too easy to manipulate when the talent levels are so close 

• Agree 1

On 11/27/2023 at 12:27 AM, The Red King said:

(Please don't merge this with the thread complaining about the Bills/Eagles officiating.  This is different, with wider scope, and not limited to the Bills.)

There have always been suspicions that the NFL is fixed, but this year seems almost blatent.  There have been a ton, a ton of badly officiated games this season, and not just involving the Bills.  The NFL is in bed with Vegas and the gambling apps, that much is fact.

So, my question is, what do you believe?  I don't believe the league is outright scripted.  But I do believe they have preferences, and are not afraid to unleash the officials to get the outcomes they want, based on trends.

I hate to be that guy.  I hate to think about conspiracy theories.  But the officiating all around the league has been laughably bad/questionable the whole season.

Just answer me one question.  How could it be scripted?  Who is scripting it, who is benefiting?  And how are they doing it with no leaks.  For it to be scripted at a conspiracy theory level, there would need to be a LOT of people involved.  No one gets mad and blabs?  No whistleblower gets approached and leaks?  

Come on man.  Bad calls happen because the NFL rules are too anal retentive and abstract to be enforceable. That's what you are seeing as scripted.  It's the same old "the refs hate the Bills" being the reason they sucked for so long.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, unclepete said:

It’s 100% fixed by the refs. Not every game. But games that would result in a favorable outcome for the league.  And it’s done by the refs. Holding happens almost every play. Too easy to manipulate when the talent levels are so close 

So you are convinced that the NFL is 100% fixed? Are you a Bills fan? If so, why? Do you think it will be fixed in the Bills favor at some point? If so, why? Or better yet, when?  

35 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

Just answer me one question.  How could it be scripted?  Who is scripting it, who is benefiting?  And how are they doing it with no leaks.  For it to be scripted at a conspiracy theory level, there would need to be a LOT of people involved.  No one gets mad and blabs?  No whistleblower gets approached and leaks?  

Come on man.  Bad calls happen because the NFL rules are too anal retentive and abstract to be enforceable. That's what you are seeing as scripted.  It's the same old "the refs hate the Bills" being the reason they sucked for so long.  

As I said earlier, "fixed" does not equal "scripted".  All you said applies to scripted, the word you used.  I'm saying the NFL can have the refs nudge games on a week to week basis to improve the narrative or affect betting outcomes.  No, I don't believe it's at all possible to script a season, but that's not what I asked.

43 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

Just answer me one question.  How could it be fixed?  Who is fixing it, who is benefiting?  And how are they doing it with no leaks.  For it to be fixed at a conspiracy theory level, there would need to be a LOT of people involved.  No one gets mad and blabs?  No whistleblower gets approached and leaks?  

Come on man.  Bad calls happen because the NFL rules are too anal retentive and abstract to be enforceable. That's what you are seeing as fixed.  It's the same old "the refs hate the Bills" being the reason they sucked for so long.  

5 minutes ago, The Red King said:

As I said earlier, "fixed" does not equal "scripted".  All you said applies to scripted, the word you used.  I'm saying the NFL can have the refs nudge games on a week to week basis to improve the narrative or affect betting outcomes.  No, I don't believe it's at all possible to script a season, but that's not what I asked.

I took the liberty of editing @CodeMonkey's post substituting scripted for fixed. @CodeMonkey made no mention of scripting/fixing a season - not sure why you added that. Any additional comments with the change from scripted to fixed? 

For the record, I 100% agree with @CodeMonkey - but at the same time I'm always open to alternative viewpoints. 

Ive said this before, but they can certainly fix games, or "influence" them. You also never know what players, refs, coaches etc could owe a lot of money to some of the wrong people.

this is interesting, but I think he's b/sing

32 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

So you are convinced that the NFL is 100% fixed? Are you a Bills fan? If so, why? Do you think it will be fixed in the Bills favor at some point? If so, why? Or better yet, when?  

The only game I remember being fixed for the Bills in decades was San Francisco in 1998.  That was pretty obvious if you remember that one.  The Bills were big underdogs and the refs grabbed the bag that day.  On the other hand there have been countless games where the Bills got hosed badly for many years. 

1 minute ago, ChrisWatson#21 said:

The only game I remember being fixed for the Bills in decades was San Francisco in 1998.  That was pretty obvious if you remember that one.  The Bills were big underdogs and the refs grabbed the bag that day.  On the other hand there have been countless games where the Bills got hosed badly for many years. 

I do not remember the SF 1998 game. But you believe it was fixed. Why?

Was Bills/Giants fixed this year when there was no DPI on the last play of the game or was it a missed call? 

I'm more on the bandwagon that NFL officiating is a difficult proposition and wildly inconsistent. I haven't made the leap to scripting/fixing. As soon as I make that leap I'm out. It happened with boxing for me so I know it's possible. And the gambling angle makes the conversation more relevant imo.

In a clear power play by the NFDG (National Football Directors Guild) Gardner Minshew was cast to throw an errant dump off on 4th and 1 leading to CJ Stroud (nominated for “best comeback from a not real head trauma”) to his first playoff birth of his young acting career. 

While onlookers debated if the 4th quarter was given the ending it deserved other fans noted the artistic approach the NFDC had. “The whole season was a little flaccid, soft if you will, it was sort of fitting we would have our season end on a 5 yard swing pass” said Michael Pittman who finished only behind CJ Stroud for “best comeback from a not real head trauma”.

Colts 3rd string RB Tyler Goodson on that last pass drop “I like how the directors made the fans ask, why Tyler Goodson? Why not I said? I almost caught the damn ball to show those fools”.  

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I took the liberty of editing @CodeMonkey's post substituting scripted for fixed. @CodeMonkey made no mention of scripting/fixing a season - not sure why you added that. Any additional comments with the change from scripted to fixed? 

For the record, I 100% agree with @CodeMonkey - but at the same time I'm always open to alternative viewpoints. 

Um, I changed nothing.  I quoted the post in my reply.  The original is a few replies higher on this page.  No way I could have edited that.  "Scripted" was used.  I...honestly have no idea what you're trying to say.

I don't think the NFL is "Fixed" right now.  But I am very much aware that it could become "FIXED" at any point in the future.  It might even be likely, I don't know.

There are a lot of NFL fans who seem to think it would be impossible for this to happen in the NFL.

That view is wrong.

It's definitely possible.

As the sports world changes into a giant excuse for gamblers to gamble, at some point, the game will probably become fixed. At least 1. 

In 10-15 years the sports entertainment climate will be all about gambling.

4 hours ago, The Red King said:

Um, I changed nothing.  I quoted the post in my reply.  The original is a few replies higher on this page.  No way I could have edited that.  "Scripted" was used.  I...honestly have no idea what you're trying to say.

Apologies if my intent wasn't clear. I felt like you dodged CodeMonkey's questions based on a tenuous distinction between scripted vs. fixed. So I re-posed the questions using fixed instead of scripted in the hope that you might address the substance of CodeMonkeys's questions.

7 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Apologies if my intent wasn't clear. I felt like you dodged CodeMonkey's questions based on a tenuous distinction between scripted vs. fixed. So I re-posed the questions using fixed instead of scripted in the hope that you might address the substance of CodeMonkeys's questions.

Ah, gotcha.  Fixing is a *lot* easier then scripting.  The owners don't have to be in on it.  And I wouldn't see it like, "Make sure [x] wins this game!".  I see it more as, "The spread is [x] on this one, keep it close until the fourth quarter." or "Tip the calls toward [x] today, we'd prefer them to win."  With rigging though, it doesn't [i]have[/i] to happen.  If those individual outcomes don't happen, oh well.  I remember the Jags game, what was it, four years ago?  It was the low-scoring mess.  For three quarters the Jags were getting *all* the calls.  It was still a one-score game, and all of a sudden the calls drift to neutral, then as it gets late into the fourth the Bills get some sketchy calls in their favor at key moments, but still can't pull off the win.  I remember then wondering if the NFL told the refs to keep it close, but let Buffalo win in the end.  Again, I don't know any of this for certain, and I'm not even sure what I believe on this, but things have seemed sketchy this season so I wanted to open a discussion on it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

So I'm just perusing old football games.... And I stumble across Cleveland versus Denver AFC championship game

The drive...

Just watched the entire final drive... And it sure looks to me that the broncos kicker misses wide left

I have slowed it down played it frame by frame... Everything... I'm pretty sure the refs messed up 

Go to 2 minutes and watch the kick

I don't think he makes it

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

So I'm just perusing old football games.... And I stumble across Cleveland versus Denver AFC championship game

The drive...

Just watched the entire final drive... And it sure looks to me that the broncos kicker misses wide left

I have slowed it down played it frame by frame... Everything... I'm pretty sure the refs messed up 

You can't judge the depth from that shot. Who knows when it went over. Could be 10 ft past the upright when it hooks 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The drive...

I'm all for a good conspiracy....but the issue here if the missed kick argument is valid, it's simply a terrible call by the refs and something they didn't/couldn't review on replay back in those days.

I believe the Broncos got plastered in the superbowl that year anyway, as the Browns would have too given how dominant the NFC was during the greater part of the 80's and 90's.

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

You can't judge the depth from that shot. Who knows when it went over. Could be 10 ft past the upright when it hooks 

True but it's definitely iffy

I actually don't remember it being that close from the game

On 1/12/2024 at 3:23 PM, Buffalo716 said:

The drive...

no doubt about 3 points....clearly good

The NFL makes gobs of money in digital and viewers. So if it was “fixed” you would never see playoffs without teams from major cities like NY, Chicago, Atlanta, Denver, etc because the revenues would always be better. Remember suggesting something is fixed means you need a motive. The only motive is money. 

2 minutes ago, Locomark said:

The NFL makes gobs of money in digital and viewers. So if it was “fixed” you would never see playoffs without teams from major cities like NY, Chicago, Atlanta, Denver, etc because the revenues would always be better. Remember suggesting something is fixed means you need a motive. The only motive is money. 

i bet peacock proved you wrong tonight...wherever the nfl goes, so will the eyes.  From New York City to Plainville Pennsylvania the NFL will travel, market will just go there cause it's now an interactive market with mobile betting stations. 

Storylines.  Buffalo isn't big market, but Allen is a draw.  If we win, we host KC.  KC @ BUF = ratings.  Ratings = $$$.  I wouldn't be surprised if the refs lean a lil our way on Monday.

In fact, if Buffalo does win, who's left in the AFC?  Well only MVP Lamar, proto-GOAT Mahomes, rookie sensation Stroud and highlight-reel (good and bad) Allen.

3 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Storylines.  Buffalo isn't big market, but Allen is a draw.  If we win, we host KC.  KC @ BUF = ratings.  Ratings = $$$.  I wouldn't be surprised if the refs lean a lil our way on Monday.

In fact, if Buffalo does win, who's left in the AFC?  Well only MVP Lamar, proto-GOAT Mahomes, rookie sensation Stroud and highlight-reel (good and bad) Allen.

Allen is no draw.  He's a Jekyll and Hyde anomaly to all the Cook believers. He'd be forced to do all the running and win the game with winds above 20mph.  Mahomes back at home vs the black coach that just wills his team is above their potential is an equal draw.  Fortunately there is a football element that the OP can be dismissed as lost his mind. 

1 minute ago, 1onemangang7 said:

Allen is no draw.  He's a Jekyll and Hyde anomaly to all the Cook believers. He'd be forced to do all the running and win the game with winds above 20mph.  Mahomes back at home vs the black coach that just wills his team is above their potential is an equal draw.  Fortunately there is a football element that the OP can be dismissed as lost his mind. 

Never said there wasn't.  Let me say this yet again, slowly, as some people still don't get it.

Fixed...is...not...the...same...as...scripted!

Fixed is giving teams nudges toward desired outcomes.  It's not scripting ahead of time.  Nudging is overlooking a blatent PI at the goal line vs. Tampa right in front of your face two years ago forcing an OT that allowed Brady to pull out a win.

If people still can't understand the difference between fixed and scripted I don't know what else I can do.  Use pictures?  Smaller words?

1 minute ago, The Red King said:

Never said there wasn't.  Let me say this yet again, slowly, as some people still don't get it.

Fixed is giving teams nudges toward desired outcomes.  It's not scripting ahead of time.  Nudging is overlooking a blatent PI at the goal line vs. Tampa right in front of your face two years ago forcing an OT that allowed Brady to pull out a win.

If people still can't understand the difference between fixed and scripted I don't know what else I can do.  Use pictures?  Smaller words?

you mean its like the difference between mortal and venial sin?  white lies are cool but the other ones are vicious?

3 minutes ago, 1onemangang7 said:

you mean its like the difference between mortal and venial sin?  white lies are cool but the other ones are vicious?

Never said either was cool.  Just saying it's far, far easier to fix/nudge a game then it is to script it.

Edited by The Red King

3 minutes ago, The Red King said:

how bout you check out the words stfu.  ?  you just spewed a script of small market and proto goat and mvp......talk about your bi polar smaller words

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.