Always go for it in OT

DaggersEOD

As soon as we kicked the FG, the game was over. Never once has our D made the game ending stop. If it has, I can’t recall when. 

We have better chance to win going for it on 4th and 10 on our own end of the field, hoping for a walk off TD drive than we would letting our D ever take the field needing a stop.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 11
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, NickelCity said:

Today was like clockwork. It's a shame. I'll forever be grateful for McDermott for making us a real team again. But it's over. 

Time to find the guy who knows how to take a good team and make it a championship team.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, DaggersEOD said:

As soon as we kicked the FG, the game was over. Never once has our D made the game ending stop. If it has, I can’t recall when. 

We have better chance to win going for it on 4th and 10 on our own end of the field, hoping for a walk off TD drive than we would letting our D ever take the field needing a stop.

Agreed. As a head coach, McD often loses perspective on the bigger picture, and has more belief in his defense than is warranted. The D played great for stretches. But you have to be blind to not see how the offenses took over late in the game. Neither D was stopping anyone. Have to go for it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As soon as we kicked the FG, the game was over. Never once has our D made the game ending stop. If it has, I can’t recall when

I had to bold this, because I can't recall many times either. I'd rather it be a game like Tennessee a few years back when Josh slipped. Better IMO to lose being aggressive then let a team drive the field on your defense and lose the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

When we kicked the FG in OT I thought that realistically our best possible outcome was a tie. There was of course a small chance that we would get a turnover, but an Iggles FG or TD was far more likely. If they got a FG there wasn’t going to be any time left to score again, so a tie. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Still can’t believe they kneeled at the end of regulation with 20 secs abd a timeout…

They lose the OT toss and they never get to see the ball.., been down that road a couple of times 

Honestly, this is low on my list of complaints this game. But so many to pick from.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NickelCity said:

Today was like clockwork. It's a shame. I'll forever be grateful for McDermott for making us a real team again. But it's over. 

I'll forever be not-grateful for Sean wasting 6 years of Josh's career that he'll never get back.  Andy Dalton ended the drought.  Process and Culture was just an empty slogan.  A mission statement with no mission.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Dislike 2

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'll forever be not-grateful for Sean wasting 6 years of Josh's career that he'll never get back.  Andy Dalton ended the drought.  Process and Culture was just an empty slogan.  A mission statement with no mission.

^——————omg this x1,000,000,000…

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Still can’t believe they kneeled at the end of regulation with 20 secs and a timeout…

They lose the OT toss and they never get to see the ball.., been down that road a couple of times 

Just blows my mind, you have the most cannon armed player in the league with an elite route runner in diggs with a timeout and 20 seconds... so many people acting like it was a hail Mary situation and a pick could lose the game. You could have ran 3 ***** plays, that's not a hail Mary low probability situation. Just horrible. And that's not the most upsetting thing mcd did tonight.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, QCity said:

There is some merit to this. Both defenses were gassed. Allen and Davis weren't on the same page on our OT drive and Philly didn't make that mistake on theirs.

“Both defenses were gassed”

We ran like 90 something plays on them.  

They ran 2/3rds of that on us. 

I do agree with the rest of you post though… aside from the fumble that wasn’t a fumble but was a fumble in the Chargers/Ravens game. 

Edited by SCBills

We made the stop. Caused a fumble and won the game. Unfortunately The League doesn't know what a catch is. Only they decide what it is.

Bills won the game. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way for some teams in the League... Especially ones visiting hostile Philly. 

How man death threats would that officiating crew get if they called it a catch & fumble???

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

McD is 1 for 6 in OT.  Tied for the worst record ever for a HC with minimum of 7 OTs played

It is irritating that this is Allen’s OT record too. Oh  sorry, 0 for 6 with Allen, because in at least a few of those games he did everything humanly possible to win. We NEEDED to get a TD on that first drive today. 

Damn shame that Cover 0 essentially beat us in the Denver game, but we couldn’t cash in against Philly.  Cover 0 - to me - is usually a gift in that situation. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.