Has Josh Allen reached his ceiling?

AZSanta

I have been an Allen supporter since he was drafted. I felt he was a perfect fit for the city. He is in year 6 of his career and has put up fairly consistent stats the last 3 years. Have we seen his best football or can he be better? By better I mean 5000+ passing yards and 50+ total tds. I personally believe he has hit his ceiling. I think he is what he is and I think we can win a Super Bowl with him playing at this level. I am just curios what others opinions are as to what they expect from him the rest of his career.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 7
  • Eyeroll 7
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

I think so, and I'd say almost certainly if this coaching staff sticks around. We've seen him play a couple of perfect games and we've also seen multi-week stretches of him being really bad to the point of being the reason we lose games. That inconsistency of scorching hot to ice cold is what defines Josh Allen as a player. I had hoped that the staff was coaching him to maybe not burn as hot but also never be cooler than "warm".

Unfortunately, I don't think he's capable of it, and I chalk it up to football IQ. I don't think he processes the game well enough in real time to be able to go through progressions or effectively hot route to pick apart a defense. Instead, we're going to have to live with the Hollywood version where he holds the ball for 5 seconds and has to stiff arm Maxx Crosby, hurdle Kevin Byard or drop a 65 yard pass on a dime to a double covered receiver in order to win big games. That reliance on high variance play has and will continue to be the main reason he doesn't win Super Bowls. He can do all the hard things that no one else can do, but he can do shockingly few of the things even backup QBs can do.

If the stars align just right, or he gets an OC that can channel his limitations and exploit his strengths, he has the talent to win it all, but I don't see him leading a dynasty and I don't see him being an elite QB in his mid-late 30s as his athleticism fades.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 6
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Omg I am not even a Bills fan but GOD NO! He is still young and just entered his prime and he IMO doesn’t have an elite O around him. You give him 2 good WR, a good TE and he could break records. 

Now if you want championships, he needs a consistent Defense, a defense that can bail him out when he is just having a bad game. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

I don’t have enough information to know if Josh Allen reached his ceiling? Because I don’t know what kind of possible shoulder injury Josh Allen is playing with only Josh Allen and the Buffalo Bills know that so I have no idea in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Well if he isn’t on the injury report for a shoulder injury the bills will get into a lot of trouble.. lol I kid.. but the great ones learn to continue begin elite even when hurt. For example look at how Mahomes adapted when he hurt his ankle a couple years back. 

Not yet. Still can work on his pocket presence and getting rid of the ball a little quicker, which comes with understanding what the defense gives you and a good play caller. 

You could argue he has hit a plateau at this current time, but don’t get that mistaken as his ceiling 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

At his best he reads the field well, is decisive, has a cannon for an arm and solid accuracy, and is an all-time great running threat.

At his worst, he makes poor decisions and his accuracy leaves something to be desired, especially for WRs on the move.

Best-case Josh Allen is a first-ballot Hall of Famer. I hope he does (and the teams does) whatever is needed for him to be consistently at his best. We don't need Josh to be better than the best Josh we've seen; we need him to be that Josh more often.

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Omg I am not even a Bills fan but GOD NO! He is still young and just entered his prime and he IMO doesn’t have an elite O around him. You give him 2 good WR, a good TE and he could break records. 

Now if you want championships, he needs a consistent Defense, a defense that can bail him out when he is just having a bad game. 

2 good WR and a good TE?  You mean like Diggs, Shakir, and Kincaid/Knox?  What he needed was a new OC, so watch him go off.

• Like (+1) 2

Yes. And no.

I think THIS version of Allen has reached it's max level. And it's a VERY high level. Championship caliber, even.

But there are more versions to come that come with age and maturity that he can evolve into. When I think of past QBs, guys like Brady, Elway, Big Ben and even Peyton Manning...they moved to a more cerebral QB later in their career and were highly successful. Josh can reach that as well. Won't be as physically gifted, but will have the smarta to adjust and tweek his style enough to be a success. I see that before I see him becoming a Cam Newton that just drops off a cliff talent wise and cannot throw the ball anymore.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, Augie said:

We should sell high. Very high. 

We could trade him for a teams next ten first second third and forth picks 

anyone game for this? 

GO BILLS!!!

(sarcasm involved)

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Dislike 1

Simple answer, yes. But that is plenty good enough to win it all, and I don’t think that will change for a decade. 

This may be the booze talking but I think I’ve come to the realization that he’s not bringing home a ton of hardware, like we may have thought 2-3 years ago. 

Obviously nobody will be Brady but I’m thinking Josh ends up with more of a Favre / Rodgers / Big Ben type career because of his roller coaster play. 

Sign me up for that every day of the week but unless something drastically changes I don’t see the consistency needed to get a bunch of rings. At this point, I think Mahomes might be the only one that has this. 

I think we might see a run of 7-8 different Super Bowl wining QBs in the next decade. Hope 17 hits my prediction and also proves me wrong…😏

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, AZSanta said:

I have been an Allen supporter since he was drafted. I felt he was a perfect fit for the city. He is in year 6 of his career and has put up fairly consistent stats the last 3 years. Have we seen his best football or can he be better? By better I mean 5000+ passing yards and 50+ total tds. I personally believe he has hit his ceiling. I think he is what he is and I think we can win a Super Bowl with him playing at this level. I am just curios what others opinions are as to what they expect from him the rest of his career.

What do you have to support your contention besides your own belief? This is a strange post. 

51 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Yep. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.