New Coordinator, New Haircut, Old Josh

KingBoots8

Low Positive? Sorry, he doesn’t live here anymore:

I’m not sure what everyone else felt when they watched the game today, but by Q2 it felt like I wasn’t watching the same team/Josh as a week ago. I’m not sure exactly what the biggest contributing factor was, but Joe Brady seems to understand (at least for week one) how to get plays in on time, to scheme against a very tough opponent, make adjustments, and to let Josh do his thing.

I don’t know what I expected to see exactly in week 1 of Joe Brady’s offense, but that deep ball coming in with a perfect throw against arguably the best CB in football made me feel all sorts of things. Seeing Josh fired up against a division rival was encouraging, and I feel like if this guy was here a month ago we destroy NE and hang a few more against Denver.

Kincaid, Cook, and Shakir doing big things tonight was further proof that Joey B knows we have weapons and drew up a plan that got them involved right away. He seemed to know that Diggs was capable to make plays but likely to be double covered most of the night, so he worked around that. Another showing like this for Shakir and Davis may be seeing a few less snaps (especially as he didn’t do anything this evening). Again, it’s only 1 game, but it’s encouraging to win - and win decisively.  

Also- perhaps Josh is the bizarro-Samson. He needs a fresh cut to be superhuman, not long hair lol.

Edited by KingBoots8
Twitter/X is dumb.
  • Like (+1) 20
  • Awesome! (+1) 6

17 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

I’m not sure what everyone else felt when they watched the game today, but by Q2 it felt like I wasn’t watching the same team/Josh as a week ago. I’m not sure exactly what the biggest contributing factor was, but Joe Brady seems to understand (at least for week one) how to get plays in on time, to scheme against a very tough opponent, make adjustments, and to let Josh do his thing.

I don’t know what I expected to see exactly in week 1 of Joe Brady’s offense, but that deep ball coming in with a perfect throw against arguably the best CB in football made me feel all sorts of things. Seeing Josh fired up against a division rival was encouraging, and I feel like if this guy was here a month ago we destroy NE and hang a few more against Denver.

Kincaid, Cook, and Shakir doing big things tonight was further proof that Joey B knows we have weapons and drew up a plan that got them involved right away. He seemed to know that Diggs was capable to make plays but likely to be double covered most of the night, so he worked around that. Another showing like this for Shakir and Davis may be seeing a few less snaps (especially as he didn’t do anything this evening). Again, it’s only 1 game, but it’s encouraging to win - and win decisively.  

It was nice to see a cohesive offensive attack for a change rather than throwing darts hoping something will work.  Also, re: Davis and Shakir. They play different positions and Davis would have had a TD today if the line held up for another second.  He was going to be open and Allen was about to throw him the ball.  It's not about who plays and who doesn't.  They can all play and have a role. in a 1 TE offense.  What I saw today that was encouraging is that they didn't seem to be forcing the ball to any one particular player.  They had a coordinated attack of running the ball and then taking advantage of the aggressive LBs in the middle of the field.  That led to the slot guys and backs getting more throws tonight. Davis was on the field almost all night and did a good job blocking and drawing coverage downfield.  If you don't cover him, Allen WILL throw it there so you have to keep someone back and respect it. That just gives the middle of the field guys even more room to work.  If the OC is doing it right, everyone can be an option.  The defense CAN'T guard everyone so it's taking what's there and getting the defense to try to play whack a mole.  Some days will be like today where it's the middle of the field and Davis and Diggs don't see the ball as much as the TEs, backs and Shakir.  This is how it SHOULD be though. Throw to the open dude. If they want to double Diggs, someone else is open. They want to shut down the deep throws? The middle of the field is open. They have enough guys that can catch the ball. They have enough players that can get open. Everything needs to be working harmoniously to make that happen and that's what Dorsey sucked at. Too many times the offense had zero rhythm and when that happened he'd default into forcing the ball to Diggs to try to get it going.   

• Like (+1) 15
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

It was nice to see a cohesive offensive attack for a change rather than throwing darts hoping something will work.  Also, re: Davis and Shakir. They play different positions and Davis would have had a TD today if the line held up for another second.  He was going to be open and Allen was about to throw him the ball.  It's not about who plays and who doesn't.  They can all play and have a role. in a 1 TE offense.  What I saw today that was encouraging is that they didn't seem to be forcing the ball to any one particular player.  They had a coordinated attack of running the ball and then taking advantage of the aggressive LBs in the middle of the field.  That led to the slot guys and backs getting more throws tonight. Davis was on the field almost all night and did a good job blocking and drawing coverage downfield.  If you don't cover him, Allen WILL throw it there so you have to keep someone back and respect it. That just gives the middle of the field guys even more room to work.  If the OC is doing it right, everyone can be an option.  The defense CAN'T guard everyone so it's taking what's there and getting the defense to try to play whack a mole.  Some days will be like today where it's the middle of the field and Davis and Diggs don't see the ball as much as the TEs, backs and Shakir.  This is how it SHOULD be though. Throw to the open dude. If they want to double Diggs, someone else is open. They want to shut down the deep throws? The middle of the field is open. They have enough guys that can catch the ball. They have enough players that can get open. Everything needs to be working harmoniously to make that happen and that's what Dorsey sucked at. Too many times the offense had zero rhythm and when that happened he'd default into forcing the ball to Diggs to try to get it going.   

This!

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

Low Positive? Sorry, he doesn’t live here anymore:

Also- perhaps Josh is the bizarro-Samson. He needs a fresh cut to be superhuman, not long hair lol.

So, was this Low Positive Josh something Dorsey brought out in him? Was he adjusting his personality to counter Dorsey's tendency to spin out of control? Josh maybe feel like he had to be the "adult in the room"? We likely will never know for sure.

But it looks like Brady found the old Allen and got him to make a guest appearance this week for sure. Hopefully, not the last time we see him. 

• Like (+1) 4

50 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

So, was this Low Positive Josh something Dorsey brought out in him? Was he adjusting his personality to counter Dorsey's tendency to spin out of control? Josh maybe feel like he had to be the "adult in the room"? We likely will never know for sure.

But it looks like Brady found the old Allen and got him to make a guest appearance this week for sure. Hopefully, not the last time we see him. 

I have zero doubt that when the D was on the field, Josh Allen spent much of the game sitting quietly on the bench looking no different than he has been. The network just didn't try to use that shot to promote some stupid dramatic narrative due to the fact that the the Bills were winning the game.

The next time the Bills are behind, you'll see that shot again and a bunch of our armchair psychologists will be screeching and wondering why our QB isn't running around the sidelines like Hulk Hogan. :rolleyes:

• Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

lol, i just saw this one. deleted my haircut thread.

7fosf2go5f1c1.jpg

Our boy is back!

and he looks GOOD either way. But after some consideration short hair Josh STAYS.   Victory Monday! We needed this as a fanbase. The team needed this to get back on track offensively

Now lets keep it moving. More injuries after last nights game? ACK

otherwise I was VERY happy to see that all elusive offensive Rhythm show itself. That AND short hair. I'll take it!

GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Simon said:

I have zero doubt that when the D was on the field, Josh Allen spent much of the game sitting quietly on the bench looking no different than he has been. The network just didn't try to use that shot to promote some stupid dramatic narrative due to the fact that the the Bills were winning the game.

The next time the Bills are behind, you'll see that shot again and a bunch of our armchair psychologists will be screeching and wondering why our QB isn't running around the sidelines like Hulk Hogan. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you are correct.  To your point I have to say we don't know what we aren't shown. 

However, his play was a lot more high energy than it has been to my eye. Times he was running upfield after a handoff looking to help. He was way more animated IMHO on the field. Maybe some of that was just having fun while executing and winning. He just played with a level of energy we haven't seen much this year...and it was great to have that back.

Pretty wild turnaround considering what Allen and the Bills looked like last week. 

Was it all Dorsey? Did Josh need a wake up call? Can't say for sure, but it seems pretty safe to say that moving on from Dorsey was the best decision.  The tablets are safer, anyway. 

Edited by Bruffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.