Sal Capaccio - Why so angry?

Back2Buff

4 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I listened this morning and thought he had an interesting insight about Josh’s mental/emotional state.  Sal compared Daboll’s personality to Dorsey’s and suggested the whole offense has taken on Dorsey’s flat-line emotional state, as opposed to Daboll’s firey personality. It make a lot of sense and is the first logical thing I’ve heard that explains Josh’s change in demeanor.  

Dorsey's a flat-liner ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw_p61ONzw4

Edited by Seventeen
  • Like (+1) 1

I think he's always been a blowhard. He is the most knowledgeable guy about the game on the WGR platform but that is literally not saying anything at all. The problem is that WGR is in bed with the Bills. We need an alternative source, and I know there is both in journalism and podcasting that tells you it straight and can also break down the game and tell you exactly what is happening. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

Sal is miserable. Constantly reminding guests and hosts that he "works for the Bills" and "I'm on the field for games"....cool, dude. I generally like the other WGR hosts but Sal is the worst. Can never be wrong either.

a funny response, "the issue with you, Sal, is that you "work for the Bills and are on the field for the games," yet still can't figure out the problems.  

• Agree 1

I do like Sal a lot but like virtually ALL Buffalo media types, they are way too friendly with the teams they cover and that comes out on the air and in print. Even this AM, one caller asked Sal why the media doesnt push back on McD or ask for more info on his answers and Sal got VERY upset at that. And this is definitely true. Someone will ask McD a question, get some sort of vaugue nonanswer and there is NEVER any pushback or follow up question. Ever. Just a meek "ok" from the person asking the question. And the few that do ask more pointed questions...including a few that visit this board from time to time...lets just say they dont seem to hold "favored" status with PSE, at least as far as I can tell.

Contrast that to what you see here. You may not love Russo and Francesa, but this interview where MMD went after the Met's owner and GM was done on the Mets' flagship radio station at the time! Would you ever see this sort of pushback from any member of WNY sports media on a player, a coach or even an an owner? No way. Too many special dinners and golf outings to get invited to at for this sort of thing to happen!

Edited by RkFast
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, RkFast said:

I do like Sal a lot but like virtually ALL Buffalo media types, they are way too friendly with the teams they cover and that comes out on the air and in print. Even this AM, one caller asked Sal why the media doesnt push back on McD or ask for more info on his answers and Sal got VERY upset at that. And this is definitely true. Someone will ask McD a question, get some sort of vaugue nonanswer and there is NEVER any pushback or follow up question. Ever. Just a meek "ok" from the person asking the question. And the few that do ask more pointed questions...including a few that visit this board from time to time...lets just say they dont seem to hold "favored" status with PSE, at least as far as I can tell.

Contrast that to what you see here. You may not love Russo and Francesa, but this interview where MMD went after the Met's owner and GM was done on the Mets' flagship radio station at the time! Would you ever see this sort of pushback from any member of WNY sports media on a player, a coach or even an an owner? No way. Too many special dinners and golf outings to get invited to at for this sort of thing to happen!

I'd be interested to see if there are any issue with Matt Bove after he asked McD yesterday if he thought, as a defensive coordinator, that the offense was becoming too predictable.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Kind of surprised to see how many people don't like Sal. 

Not saying I agree with everything that he says but I honestly can't stand most of the callers that call in with every hot take under the sun and provide nothing to support their comment other than "because that's what I would do".

I agree with that part. Sure Sal can be annoying at times and can be a shill of sorts too, but the callers, OMG... The % of callers that actually have something valid to contribute has got to be less than 10%. I realize its only certain types of folks that call into these shows, but wow they sure make our fan base seem stupid.

49 minutes ago, Seventeen said:

Dorsey's a flat-liner ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw_p61ONzw4

Having a temper is one thing. Being energetic, upbeat and inspiring is another. Daboll was described as a ball buster and very engaging. Sal also said Joe Brady is more like Daboll than Dorsey and is a very engaging guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Miserable is a good description.  Miserable sports radio gets tiresome.  A reason why Pardon My Take has become the top sports audio out there.  People would rather listen to something easy going, vs some old man literally acting like miserable old man.

It's not about trashing any part of the organization.  It's his tone and attitude that's the issue.  I don't really have an issue with anything he says about the Bills.

Today he was treating a caller like a child because the caller said the media needs to do a better job at following up on questions why McDermott doesn't answer the question that was asked.  Sal acted like he was talking to a 10 year old child who was about to get reprimanded.  It was an embarrassing look.

Heard this too. 

Douchie. 

4 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

I agree with that part. Sure Sal can be annoying at times and can be a shill of sorts too, but the callers, OMG... The % of callers that actually have something valid to contribute has got to be less than 10%. I realize its only certain types of folks that call into these shows, but wow they sure make our fan base seem stupid.

Come here to New England.

You want to hear some stupid s***?

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Having a temper is one thing. Being energetic, upbeat and inspiring is another. Daboll was described as a ball buster and very engaging. Sal also said Joe Brady is more like Daboll than Dorsey and is a very engaging guy. 

Awesome - Brady's fun at parties but can he run this offense ? Time will tell if he's the Brady we saw @ LSU or the Brady that failed in Carolina. 

2 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Jerry Sullivan was the last guy who asked tough questions and the Bills baned him from post game interviews. He was a jerk though, glad he was bounced.

No tough questions allowed. Let's admit the national sports media to our press conferences and see how it goes.

Edited by Seventeen

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

This to the max ^

People need to realize WGR is the flagship station and your never going to get strong sweeping takes from most of the people in Sal or Brown or Taskers shoes. It is state radio and the message is controlled in a certain way. If I am not mistaken Brown was even suspended for a week or two for making a relatively light slight about the team last year

Overall the entire way sports and media are received is entirely different from the old non/early internet days. Newspaper, radio, even TV use to compete with each other in a triad balance and that was the main way of receiving information. As the internet and social media grew all of this changed to a point it is not as controllable or the main focal point. Some of the best analysis I get is from non brand NFL groups like Cover 1 / Yards Per Pass etc... where they truly break down what is happening and have at least informational backed takes not just bias. Twitter or X whatever it is can give you more analysis then anything the the Bills Show can, so in a sense for the Bills or any team they have to be even more controlled in messaging at this time. I am a big hockey fan and I listen to a lot of podcasts because frankly the content is superb and some of the people are ahead of what most teams are doing in evaluating their own lineup.

Brown was suspended for reporting specifics about practice that was supposed to be closed to the media or something like that.

They are often very critical of players and assistant coaches. Probably not wise to be super critical of McDermott or Beane, though, given they work for them.

Just listen to Brown completely trashing Gabe Davis all offseason last year. They will be critical, at times. But yes, they tread carefully with Beane and McDermott.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

The minute he starts trashing Sean, he loses all access to the the team. It's self preservation. Same goes for Chris Brown and Tasker. Both Bills employees. Last week Tasker said the Bills would be "punting the season" if they fired Dorsey. Yesterday, he said something had to change.

Remember when Schopp and the Bulldog had McDermott on the air once a week during Allen's rookie year, and Schopp straight up asked him why Peterman was still on the team? McD got all pissy and then Schopp was off the air for like 20 minutes.  

McD never went on the afternoon show again, as far as I know. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Sal is desperate to be liked by McDermott and the rest of the Bills brass. It's always funny hearing him talk about McD by calling him Sean constantly rather than coach. You can hear his voice crack a little when he talks about Sean. I think Sal would melt into the carpet if Sean asked him over for Thanksgiving Day dinner. He'd sit there holding the wishbone, looking at Sean and Sean's wife and Sean's kids, thinking "my wish has already come true". Then he'd remember he has a family of his own but can no longer remember their names

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

Tasker is an embarrassment. Yesterday he said the Diggs offseason stuff was no issue at all and reprimanded a fan for being concerned about it. If it was no issue at all, McDermott wouldn't have been "very concerned" and sent Diggs home. I mean, come on. There's being a homer and then there's completely drowning in the Kool-Aid and Tasker is definitely the latter.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Sal really has the inside scoop doesn't he? That's why he broke the Dorsey firing.  Oh wait, that was Schefter. His continuous need to defend the organization is cringe at an intolerable level.

BTW- he did play by play for my little cousins championship game last Friday.  It may have been the worst I've ever heard.

• Haha (+1) 1

Sal is merely another cog in the Buffalo Bills Ministry of Truth and is their version of the old Soviet propaganda Pravda...There are serious structural issues with this team's coaching and general management (see the video Brett Kollman did on the Bills offense as one example of a good coaching critique) but Sal is there to paint the Buffalo Bills harvest as bountiful and amazing while the fanbase is actually starved and not getting the ultimate prize. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.