I’d like to see players’ contracts not only have incentives but penalties as well.

Tipster19

It was unheard of when Cleveland gave Watson a totally guaranteed contract so how about one that has penalties in addition to the incentives? I bet Josh would be a little bit more careful with the ball instead of just throwing it into triple coverage. Of course Josh shouldn’t be the only one being referenced to, he just happens to be the biggest one. The OL, too many false starts, deduct time. Dropped passes (Gabe Davis), before he’s benched tax his sorry butt. Right down the line, it doesn’t matter who the player or team is, nobody should be exempt. Hey, contracts are loaded with incentives, do extra good get extra money, then they should get penalized when they make stupid plays. It wouldn’t surprise me that we’d be seeing a lot cleaner football instead of seeing a shrug of the shoulders and acting like oh well.

Edited by Tipster19
Misspelling of title
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

• Tipster19 changed the title to I’d like to see players’ contracts not only have incentives but penalties as well.

Love the idea but how do you assess blame?  Does Josh get docked for that interception to Gabe?  Does Cook get docked for the fumble that Josh dropped?

Ive seen too many d-linemen collect a check and eat their way out of the league.  So love the idea but yeah will never happen

31 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

It was unheard of when Cleveland gave Watson a totally guaranteed contract so how about one that has penalties in addition to the incentives? I bet Josh would be a little bit more careful with the ball instead of just throwing it into triple coverage. Of course Josh shouldn’t be the only one being referenced to, he just happens to be the biggest one. The OL, too many false starts, deduct time. Dropped passes (Gabe Davis), before he’s benched tax his sorry butt. Right down the line, it doesn’t matter who the player or team is, nobody should be exempt. Hey, contracts are loaded with incentives, do extra good get extra money, then they should get penalized when they make stupid plays. It wouldn’t surprise me that we’d be seeing a lot cleaner football instead of seeing a shrug of the shoulders and acting like oh well.

Many contracts contain per game roster bonuses for being on the active roster. Some also have penalties that void guarantees. For example; Watson’s guarantees all void if he violates the NFL’s personal conduct policy again. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

i think this sounds a lot like 'i think we should expand the government to give us more freedom' lol

a. good luck getting a player, especially a QB, especially a franchise QB to sign this

b. great way to alienate FA/current lockerroom

c. even pretending first 2 werent an issue, you want a guy handcuffing himself, or giving pause during game play to say....... hmmmmmmm will this cost me $$. as we all know hesitation is the best attribute to QB success

13 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Maybe they can live in team owned apartments too, and only shop at team owned stores. 

Nobody can see their gf's all week, and whoever is given the gameball gets a 52-some!  This way every week players are super motivated to play their best!!! Think of all the incentive!!!

45 minutes ago, Chugga said:

Love the idea but how do you assess blame?  Does Josh get docked for that interception to Gabe?  Does Cook get docked for the fumble that Josh dropped?

Ive seen too many d-linemen collect a check and eat their way out of the league.  So love the idea but yeah will never happen

they have this already. show up to camp at weight bonuses..... or sit out during games/practice and ride an exercise bike.

Just like with Kyler Murray s freaking ipad/CallofDuty, if u think u need to put clauses like this in a contract, theyre not the one.

Josh is the one. Hes proved it for years. we had a dud opener, then lit up scoreboard few weeks in a row, then pooped the bed.... now we fired our OC... looks like well fire our HC.  Get top offensive minds in (or just not bottom barrel ones) and watch Josh go off again. 

I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say you have never been a contracted employee - I understand where your coming from , kinda,  but bro if you suck at your job do you loose anything ? 

I mean we all, unless your union, negotiate something when we take a job- do you loose your free parking because you forgot to put the stupid cover page on the TPS reports?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.