Joe Brady - What Do We Expect?

Jukester

Any insight on his philosophy, coahing style, etc... welcome.  Or is he just going to be a McD puppet?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Brady_(American_football_coach)

Coaching career

New Orleans Saints

In 2017, Brady was hired by the New Orleans Saints as an offensive assistant under head coach Sean Payton.

LSU

In 2019, Brady joined head coach Ed Orgeron and the LSU Tigers as their passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach.[1][2] Recognized as the top assistant coach during the 2019 college football season, Brady was honored with the 24th annual Broyles Award.[5] Subsequently, he emerged as a leading candidate for numerous offensive coordinator vacancies in the NFL,[6][7] but eventually agreed to a three-year contract extension with LSU.[8]

Carolina Panthers

On January 16, 2020, Brady was hired by the Carolina Panthers as their offensive coordinator under head coach Matt Rhule.[9] The Panthers were selected to coach in the 2021 Senior Bowl, but Brady missed the game due to COVID-19 protocols.[10] On December 5, 2021, Brady was fired by the Panthers.[11]

Buffalo Bills

On February 4, 2022, Brady was hired by the Buffalo Bills as their quarterbacks coach, replacing Ken Dorsey after his promotion to offensive coordinator. After Dorsey's mid-season firing in the 2023 season, Brady was promoted to interim offensive coordinator.[12]

Edited by Jukester
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Maybe just maybe, he can look at Josh's strengths and get back to those. 

- Play action from under center

- Designed rollouts and QB keepers

- Stop making him overthink things and be a dinker

- Maybe take a shot downfield once in a while

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Process said:

Jets chiefs and cowboys in the next 4. 3 of the best defenses in the league with a brand new OC. That's tough. 

Big question mark on why the change came now before this stretch. 

Indictment of McChump

What did we see yesterday that was so much different than the other games? If anything he called a better game last night. Now heading into when it matters most, against our hardest stretch he put so much of task ahead of us that it is damn near impossible to recover.

This is poor management. The writing didn't just appear to fire him - it should have been done weeks ago if it was potential. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, boyst said:

Big question mark on why the change came now before this stretch. 

Indictment of McChump

What did we see yesterday that was so much different than the other games? If anything he called a better game last night. Now heading into when it matters most, against our hardest stretch he put so much of task ahead of us that it is damn near impossible to recover.

This is poor management. The writing didn't just appear to fire him - it should have been done weeks ago if it was potential. 

Yeah you'd think he'd at least utilize the bye week for this change, so Brady could tweak and refine the offense at least a bit. 

Giving him a short week to prepare for that Jets D??

The timing definitely looks like McD is just trying to deflect from last night's performance. Hey, maybe the change invigorates the team for this matchup, but... well, I won't get my hopes up. 

8 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

McD puppet is the correct answer, more Carolina connection. 

The only connection to Carolina is that they both worked there.  They didn't work there at the same time.  Brady was there while McDermott was the HC here and had been for several years.  Not the connection you're looking for.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I don't think they're going to install much more than what's already in the playbook

The play calling might be different but I imagine overall it will conceptually look pretty similar

Yep. No team installs an entire new playbook at week 11. I'd be interested to see at the bye whether they tweak some stuff but again it isn't going to be wholesale changes. Just a different guy looking at the call sheet and deciding on the play. 

We did see when Lynn took over for Roman though that it can lead to an uptick. Because no two people see the way to attack a certain defense exactly the same. I think one of Dorsey's problems this year has been finding a balance with the run game. And I don't mean overall run:pass ratios I mean he has drives where we only run and then drives where we only drop back. I am not sure he has found a flow to his playcalling. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Jukester said:

Maybe just maybe, he can look at Josh's strengths and get back to those. 

- Play action from under center

- Designed rollouts and QB keepers

- Stop making him overthink things and be a dinker

- Maybe take a shot downfield once in a while

What are you doing Sunday at 1?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Brady did a decent job year one in Carolina I thought. Teddy Bridgewater had them in almost every game. Robbie Anderson and DJ Moore I think both had solid seasons that year. Year two it fell off the rails and Rhule scapegoated him. I think year two was Sam Darnold cause they traded away Bridgewater. 
I think Brady will give Mcdermott what he wants. Which in my opinion is establishing a run game and controlling the clock so the defense isn’t on the field 24/7. I doubt much changes scheme wise but I think he’ll do better calling a game and keeping the offense in rhythm. I do hope this is the end of RPO in Buffalo cause those throws to Gabe always seem to end badly or incomplete. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't think they're going to install much more than what's already in the playbook

The play calling might be different but I imagine overall it will conceptually look pretty similar

I agree!!

The biggest thing a coordinator does week to week during the season, except for the bye, is decide which concepts are going into the game plan and where they fit on the play-sheet, mostly situationally.  So, the offense is not changing.  The plays and formations they have repped are the plays and formations they have.  That said, the plays they choose will be different, which might make all of the difference.  There is always discussion between the OC and the position coaches regarding the game plan and what is in and what is out.  Presumably, McD is in at least some of those meetings.  Push back is healthy in those meetings.  My guess is there was push back, but McD (rightly) let his OC have the final say.  He has now changed the decision maker, we'll see if it gets better.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GustheDog33 said:

The only connection to Carolina is that they both worked there.  They didn't work there at the same time.  Brady was there while McDermott was the HC here and had been for several years.  Not the connection you're looking for.

Look at where Brady went to college and where he got his coaching start: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/BradJo0.htm.

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.