Josh’s stats so far - the Ken Dorsey Offense

Roundybout

Through seven games, Josh’s stats are as follows:  

2020: 175/259, 2,018 yards, 16 touchdowns, 4 interceptions, 12 sacks.  

2021: 178/272, 1,972 yards, 17 touchdowns, 3 interceptions, 8 sacks.  

2022: 173/264, 2,198 yards, 19 touchdowns, 6 interceptions, 11 sacks.  

2023: 174/246, 1,841 yards 15 touchdowns, 7 interceptions, 10 sacks.  

We see that Josh has thrown fewer passes with a similar amount completions, but with fewer yards and touchdowns, reflecting an offense prioritizing safe football instead of explosive plays. We also see more interceptions although that’s skewed by the awful Jets game.  

We also see a bit more success in the run game aside from Josh, as Cook’s 417 yards are the best a Bills RB has had through this span in some time. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I get it isn’t all on Dorsey, players need to execute, ect, but Josh Allen clearly doesn’t fit this Ken Dorsey offense and players seem to have a difficult time picking it up. 

The offensive coordinator does take blame when the offense seems uncoordinated. 

Exactly, an OC shouldn't be blamed when his starting TE is open and drops a catchable ball etc. Also an OC can't direct who the QBs throws to on any given play that's always the QBs given choice and we've seen Josh doesn't always make the right one. Toss in our FG kicker the last two weeks has missed some kicks that in most cases you'd think he'd make. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Allen has also only ran 29 times total this season...last year at this point he had 53 rushes. They are trying to neuter him far too much in the run game, IMO, and it's hurting them offensively. Teams had to prepare for those designed QB runs. Now they don't...when was the last QB Power or QB Sweep we saw?  

Allen had the most rushing attempts this year yesterday, with 7,  and 3 of them were sneaks, not even true runs.  Last year at this time he had 4 games with more than 7 rushes in a game, 3 of them double digit attempts. 

They need to turn him loose, at least a little bit, and make the defense fear him again in that way.  I don't think they fear that aspect of the offense anymore because they haven't seen it at all this year.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On ESPN this morning, Orlovsky showed specific plays where the Bills fail miserably when responding to heavy pressure and blitzing.  It's a big problem he says and been that way for 5 years.  But they didn't blame Allen even though he makes some bad decisions.  Said We would never come back in any of these games without Allen being amazing.

Edited by zow2
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I get it isn’t all on Dorsey, players need to execute, ect, but Josh Allen clearly doesn’t fit this Ken Dorsey offense and players seem to have a difficult time picking it up. 

Then it is on Dorsey to play the cards he was handed.  He's trying to put a square peg in a round hole.  Do we dump players and find ones to fit Dorsey's scheme, or do we dump Dorsey and find a real coordinator who will work with what he has?

Edited by Nuncha

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Exactly, an OC shouldn't be blamed when his starting TE is open and drops a catchable ball etc. Also an OC can't direct who the QBs throws to on any given play that's always the QBs given choice and we've seen Josh doesn't always make the right one. Toss in our FG kicker the last two weeks has missed some kicks that in most cases you'd think he'd make. 

Can the QB for being massively late on the throw to the starting TE with hands issues turning an easy catch into a contested catch?  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Yep.  Josh may like shotgun, but they are more effective under center.  McBeane may want 12 and 21 personnel, but safe ball control football is not the way.

Josh cooks under 11 personnel.  What the hell are they doing when Harty gets 1 catch and McD pulls him.  The fastest guy on the team except for Isabella.

Stop with this insistence on ball control and 12 personnel.  Josh likes throwing it downfield and to WR’s and is darn good at it.

Stop with handcuffing Josh running.  It’s not working.  It’s a big part of his game.

We drove in Q4 twice for TD’s because we went 11.  We also have success in empty.

The defense is seriously hurt by the losses of Daquan, Milano, Tre and temporarily Oliver.  Our defense works with interior pressure.  We had none yesterday and made Mack look all world.

This was most pathetic loss of the McD era.  You guys know me and I’m very positive about my Bills because I love them and have been in McBeanes corner, but something dramatic needs to  change 

I can’t watch another performance like this with Tampa.  Besides I’ll never hear the end of it from all of my friends in Tampa.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Ken is Oil Josh is water.

Dorsey could be a solid OC but Josh is the wrong QB for that Offense

It seems like a bad marriage and maybe I lack an understanding of the nuances of this offense but I don't see much variation in Dorsey's game plan and play calls or Allen's decisions and receiver targets from opponent to opponent based on exploiting the opponents weaknesses and avoiding their strengths. 

I expect the game plan for Tampa will be almost exactly what it was against NE.

It's way too easy on the other teams defense.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Can the QB for being massively late on the throw to the starting TE with hands issues turning an easy catch into a contested catch?  

Yeah, I think it might be a slight issue as Josh always doesn't throw guys open but with his arm strength he can still beat defenders.

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

Through seven games, Josh’s stats are as follows:  

2020: 175/259, 2,018 yards, 16 touchdowns, 4 interceptions, 12 sacks.  

2021: 178/272, 1,972 yards, 17 touchdowns, 3 interceptions, 8 sacks.  

2022: 173/264, 2,198 yards, 19 touchdowns, 6 interceptions, 11 sacks.  

2023: 174/246, 1,841 yards 15 touchdowns, 7 interceptions, 10 sacks.  

We see that Josh has thrown fewer passes with a similar amount completions, but with fewer yards and touchdowns, reflecting an offense prioritizing safe football instead of explosive plays. We also see more interceptions although that’s skewed by the awful Jets game.  

We also see a bit more success in the run game aside from Josh, as Cook’s 417 yards are the best a Bills RB has had through this span in some time. 

To be fair Josh isn’t hitting the explosive plays this year when they’re there.

Josh is a veteran QB. He’s missing the explosive plays consistently now. It’s starting to catch up.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

The biggest change in offense is the lack of a real WR2, John Brown and Emmanuel Sanders are more of a threat than Gabe. This has tremendously choked our offense...

Allen doesn't trust the OL with pressure coming and he doesn't really trust Davis or Knox (drops I assume) the target share minus Diggs for every other pass catchers are very low. 

Add Milano out and we have to now really outscore everyone.  

• Like (+1) 3

Allen is trying to become Herbert instead of playing his game, he is trying to play Herbert's game.  Extend plays outside the pocket but only run as a last resort. That's not him.  Allen ran 124 times last year, Herbert ran 54. This year Allen has ran 29 times, Herbert 28.  That's a problem. 

Teams are not coming up to try and prevent Allen from taking off much because they don't respect that part of his game anymore because he hasn't MADE THEM respect it.  They are simply giving him those areas to run and covering the receivers and he still won't take it now. Or waits until it's too late and tries to chuck up a pass with a super low completion chance when he runs out of room or a defender closes in.

Allen needs to stop trying to play like Herbert and go back to playing like Allen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.