Officiating really sucks in the NFL

Ethan in Cleveland

5 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

No idea!! The 1st roughing the passer on Allen was weak as it was a total sell job by Allen. (Which top QBs always get) 

The Bills O faced a good Pats D.  You take away Jones pick 6s they average like 20 points a game.  The Bills O weakness is relying on Diggs too much.  They should have kept going to both TE that the Pats were giving them all game.

No the first roughing was roughing. Allen exaggerated the head Bob, but he should have pulled up and had time to do so. They called a much weaker one in Miami tonight. They protect the QB’s if you don’t know that by now, as a player you are an idiot.

• Agree 1

Jordan Phillips needs to make that tackle for chrissakes.  Come ON.

4 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

I love how the OP said it's not rigged it's just awful.

How do you actually KNOW it's not rigged? 

Posts like these make me question the future of humanity.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Haha (+1) 1

I

14 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Hate watching the NFL now.  

there’s no credibility to statements like these.  No one continues an unnecessary activity they hate doing.

everyone reading that knows you viewing habits are not going to change.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This isn't a physical addiction. You can easily choose not to watch something you hate.

My point was you don't hate it.

I never said I did. I was just pointing out your mistake in your reply to the other person

17 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

It's not just that he was downfield so far before the pass was thrown.  He actively interfered with the defense.  Watch the replay and focus on 43 for the Bills (Bernard).  Bernard was the man who eventually pushed the receiver out of bounds, way downfield.  He couldn't get there earlier because he had to avoid a block from the center.  

It's astonishing that the refs would just pick up that flag.

17 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Every time I see the flag icon my blood pressure rises.

It's gotten to the point where I'll be doing yardwork on a Saturday and hear that there's a penalty in the Peewee game at the school next door and I'm like OH COME ON!

It goes both ways, too.  There are often calls that need to be made that aren't.  And it affects both teams.  

The Pats clearly covered the huge spread in the odds yesterday.  More to the point, they won straight up too, so people who got great odds for picking the Pats straight up, cleaned up.  It's looking like this league is rigged.  I called out the Indy screwing in a post right after the Bills game finished.

17 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

The illegal man down field was boarderline. The Refs were bad Both ways in that game. The Colts did get hosed though. 

Not borderline, sorry.  At least five yards downfield before the pass was thrown, and he interfered with Bernard who eventually pushed the receiver out of bounds.

17 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

On the bright side … don’t need to worry about how each AFC game might affect the standings anymore to help the Bills 

I had the same thought and was sad to realize that's how I felt by November most years during the drought.

17 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

They should mic up the refs during their discussions. The XFL and USFL provide full transparency while the NFL refuses.

The ref threw the flag for the center being 8 yards downfield while blocking no one. It's clearly a penalty. What in the world goes on in the discussion that would cause them to pick that flag up?

The NFL won't tell you.

He DID block someone -- Bernard.  Go back and watch the play (see previous post for the link).  Bernard was in the middle of the field and eventually pushed the receiver out of bounds, but he had to get around a block from the center and then catch up.  This is exactly why O linemen are not allowed downfield until the pass is thrown.

17 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

They should mic up the refs during their discussions. The XFL and USFL provide full transparency while the NFL refuses.

The ref threw the flag for the center being 8 yards downfield while blocking no one. It's clearly a penalty. What in the world goes on in the discussion that would cause them to pick that flag up?

The NFL won't tell you.

The NFL won't allow the public to hear those conversations, but the NFL should have all their conversations taped so they can go back later and see what the refs were thinking.

If you're a Colts fan this morning is all about how you were straight up robbed by the refs yesterday. 

3 turnovers taken away. they won the game twice at the end only to have the refs step in. Eventually the other team will score when they get chance after chance, then the ball put at the 1 just for good measure.

Late in the game, either the call gets made and then it's basically a fait accompli because there will be another and another call on the defense if needed or it just never happens but could.

It's like you get storyline A or B. In A the defense gets the illegal contact to extend a drive or take away a turnover. Then a few plays later is defensive holding or hands to the face. Then the clincher: PI in the endzone. At that point it's up to the offense to score though. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

18 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Colts are getting absolutely screwed right now by the refs.

Refs pick up the flag on the center being 5 yards down field on the final Pats drive.

Hate watching the NFL now.  It's not rigged. It's just awful.

There is a super simple solution for that.

18 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

The illegal man down field was boarderline. The Refs were bad Both ways in that game. The Colts did get hosed though. 

Officiating has learned to screw both teams so that the opposing fan can point to the bad calls going the other way in less-crucial moments and say "see they weren't biased."

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

The NFL won't allow the public to hear those conversations, but the NFL should have all their conversations taped so they can go back later and see what the refs were thinking.

Wonder if an Arlen Spector-type situation is coming. Someone's going to get screwed and a politician will start wondering about all of these gambling sponsorships. If you're going to get money from betting parlors, you'd better be transparent about your competition's integrity.

Of course, the NBA has been all but rigged for 3 decades...

The idiot announcer saying holding on Diggs wasn’t holding, but a slight brush by TJ was a foul is bad, but those types of bad judgment calls happen all the time. 

But the block downfield wasn’t a judgment call. It was plain as day. And called correctly, initially. 

Did the officials explain why they picked up the flag?  That was baffling to me. 

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

Not borderline, sorry.  At least five yards downfield before the pass was thrown, and he interfered with Bernard who eventually pushed the receiver out of bounds.

OK, I am the first person to say NFL officiating Sucks, and they often get it wrong, but......Sorry, but YOU are incorrect on this one. I stated this more than once in the post game thread, but I'll post it one last time. I have a DVR and a 4k HD TV, and after the game I went back and watched it in slow motion, and it is very, very close. When the ball leaves Jones' hand, he *may* have been SLIGHTLY past the one yard limit, but the video clearly shows that he was definitely not 5 yards downfield.

My biggest question was as to how they picked up the flag with no video review to aid that decision. Only thing I can figure is that the officials back in NY, at NFL HQs reviewed the play and then had the capability to contact the refs on the field, and they told them it was too close to call. I didn’t think that was allowed on a call such as this, but it's the only thing that makes sense. When you watch the play at regular speed, it's VERY hard to determine exactly where he was when the ball left Jones' hand.

20 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

not sure what the NFL rule is but in high school the ball has to cross the line of scrimmage, not just go forward for there to be an illegal man Downfield call.

on this play, the pass was clearly completed a good, 5 yards or so behind the LOS. If the NFL rule is the same then it’s definitely a good no call.

20 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Colts are getting absolutely screwed right now by the refs.

Refs pick up the flag on the center being 5 yards down field on the final Pats drive.

Hate watching the NFL now.  It's not rigged. It's just awful.

the over abundance of calls make the games much harder to enjoy for sure. Seems like 15-20 penalties per game… 

13 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

the over abundance of calls make the games much harder to enjoy for sure. Seems like 15-20 penalties per game… 

OTOH, the box score shows that the Eagles had ZERO penalties last night. Since there's offensive holding on virtually every play, I don’t even know how that's possible. Maybe they're just really well disciplined, and they don't commit any fouls. 🤔😂

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

not sure what the NFL rule is but in high school the ball has to cross the line of scrimmage, not just go forward for there to be an illegal man Downfield call.

on this play, the pass was clearly completed a good, 5 yards or so behind the LOS. If the NFL rule is the same then it’s definitely a good no call.

I believe since it was a forward pass it is considered ok.. but don’t quote me on that.. like I said the refs were to involved both ways. 

I usually think we get the bad side of it - but yesterday, some of those roughing calls on Allen were pretty borderline, and they really helped us.

I thought the refs missed a few our way also, but overall, Pats fans had more reason to gripe yesterday. And certainly, Giants fans had more reason to gripe last week.

1 hour ago, Bob Jones said:

OK, I am the first person to say NFL officiating Sucks, and they often get it wrong, but......Sorry, but YOU are incorrect on this one. I stated this more than once in the post game thread, but I'll post it one last time. I have a DVR and a 4k HD TV, and after the game I went back and watched it in slow motion, and it is very, very close. When the ball leaves Jones' hand, he *may* have been SLIGHTLY past the one yard limit, but the video clearly shows that he was definitely not 5 yards downfield.

My biggest question was as to how they picked up the flag with no video review to aid that decision. Only thing I can figure is that the officials back in NY, at NFL HQs reviewed the play and then had the capability to contact the refs on the field, and they told them it was too close to call. I didn’t think that was allowed on a call such as this, but it's the only thing that makes sense. When you watch the play at regular speed, it's VERY hard to determine exactly where he was when the ball left Jones' hand.

You're right, when the ball left Jones' hand the center was not five yards downfield.  The LOS was the 25, and Jones still had the ball when the center was crossing the 27.  (I was able to freeze the play on my rewind at that point.  The ball was clearly in Jones' hand, and the center had his foot on the 27 and was headed downfield.)  So two yards is still a penalty, and the center interfered with Bernard as he tried to get to the sideline.  

You're also right that in order to pick up the flag, there should have been some explanation. 

But the overall point, that the Pats committed a penalty that affected the play, remains.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.