Bills COO and senior VP fired

Dablitzkrieg

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Beauty and the Beast...

If the relationship went sour, D'Angelo could claim sexual harassment.  You never know.  Again not worth the headache and better to get rid of them sooner than later.  Consider them to be like Matt Araiza.

She would sue him/the Bills if he dumped her (not sure what else you mean by "went sour") .......AND she would use the existence of her own illicit relationship as evidence of a toxic culture at OBD as evidence of workplace harassment?   

LOL  That would make an outstanding opening argument counselor!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I do not understand all the discussion here about this. Pegula Inc pry had a handbook and code of conduct that the two signed, they broke the rule and were sent packing. Pretty Clear cut if you ask me.

Agreed.

Book says no relationships, no relationships.

Book says no walking the goat in the mall, you don't walk your goat in the mall.

image.jpeg.512957f2bd07791b7b3b42192482349f.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

She would sue him/the Bills if he dumped her (not sure what else you mean by "went sour") .......AND she would use the existence of her own illicit relationship as evidence of a toxic culture at OBD as evidence of workplace harassment?   

LOL  That would make an outstanding opening argument counselor!

LOL I'm not taking this to court.  I'm heading it off at the pass by dumping both their asses and letting them continue their relationship elsewhere.  Again they aren't essential and it's not worth the hassle.

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

LOL I'm not taking this to court.  I'm heading it off at the pass by dumping both their asses and letting them continue their relationship elsewhere.  Again they aren't essential and it's not worth the hassle.

You missed the point.  They would be the plaintiffs

6 hours ago, muppy said:

This news doesn't shock me . I have been told some stories that were first hand knowledge of all sorts of .. shall I say daliances..okay Hookups between married players and women. Why not NFL execs too. That may be tawdry but humans are gonna human. It's a story as old as time.

I've heard rumors thrown out there(I have no idea if there is any credibility to them and they very well could be baseless) that Maddy Glab has been involved with more than a few Bills players.  Could just be BS rumors getting spread but it does make me think more about that whole situation with Diggs and the hot mic...someone on here who has some in's reported she was definitely set up by a colleague.  If those rumors happen to be true and are well known in the media circle then I can see there being some hostility towards her.  

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Every big company I worked for had policies against these relationships. I’ve seen these relationships develop countless times, and someone always has to go. Regardless of whether you think you might lose a lawsuit, the employer has rules they put in place for a reason. Follow the employers rules, or pay the price, in this case both of them it appears. 

I’ll also caution that we probably don’t know as much as we should to be jumping to any kind of firm conclusions, IMO. 

First company I worked at had that rule but it only applied if you were in same group/organization.

One of the VPs came down hard on people in cafeteria stopping to get coffee, whatever when not at lunch time saying it was violating rules on timecards.

Multiple people pointed out they were entitled to 2 15 minute breaks but he stated it was an appearance thing.

He also said people could not record time until they were at their desk - he had a private entrance with separate parking area and we needed to walk from parking lot thru gates with metal detectors which often failed resulting it taking up to 20 minutes to your office.

My office was on top floor on same side of building as his office and I started noticing he would leave at 11:00 each morning and a secretary would leave a bit latter.  He and the secretary would return in their cars at about 1 PM each day.  After noticing pattern I noticed he came in after me and left before me.

It was emphasized in multiple memos that we report any charge discrepancies; it was signed by VP but person to report was someone else so I did.

I was called down to office and I provided my notes from blotter on desk for last two weeks.

It was determined VP was charging for hours he was not working and so was secretary; she was also breaking security using front door.

He was fired for payroll fraud and illegal charges (he was paying using corporate card for love nest which was labored as VIP Visitor).

She was fired for security violations.

29 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

First company I worked at had that rule but it only applied if you were in same group/organization.

One of the VPs came down hard on people in cafeteria stopping to get coffee, whatever when not at lunch time saying it was violating rules on timecards.

Multiple people pointed out they were entitled to 2 15 minute breaks but he stated it was an appearance thing.

He also said people could not record time until they were at their desk - he had a private entrance with separate parking area and we needed to walk from parking lot thru gates with metal detectors which often failed resulting it taking up to 20 minutes to your office.

My office was on top floor on same side of building as his office and I started noticing he would leave at 11:00 each morning and a secretary would leave a bit latter.  He and the secretary would return in their cars at about 1 PM each day.  After noticing pattern I noticed he came in after me and left before me.

It was emphasized in multiple memos that we report any charge discrepancies; it was signed by VP but person to report was someone else so I did.

I was called down to office and I provided my notes from blotter on desk for last two weeks.

It was determined VP was charging for hours he was not working and so was secretary; she was also breaking security using front door.

He was fired for payroll fraud and illegal charges (he was paying using corporate card for love nest which was labored as VIP Visitor).

She was fired for security violations.

Umm, I’m not sure what to say!

You had blotter notes??? 

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

Umm, I’m not sure what to say!

You had blotter notes??? 

Yea. I was working at my desk and started noticing but I figured he was just going out for lunch but when I started seeing pattern I started writing it down and the blotter on desk since it was only thing consistently on my desk.  Recognizing patterns is something I was very good at since high school math.  Got a patent in ICR/ORC because I notice things others do not.   I supposed subconsciously I was looking for something to be wrong with VP.  

When I play online games some people have commented I play like an accountant.

• Like (+1) 1

If the article is to be believed he recommended her for a promotion after the relationship began.  That's a huge issue and would be grounds for immediate termination.

Or

It could be something that happened while on the london trip that sparked the firing.  Which could be a million things.

We will likely never know what the final issue was.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

He never worked for a sports organization ever. He was Terry's personal finance guy

It's a business, first of all. It's not at all necessary to have experience running a sports organization, second. Third, the Fidelity job was way bigger than being "Terry's personal finance guy." He ran a $6 billion fund there. As I said, that's the financial world's equivalent of being a starting NFL QB.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Cool so he's the financial world's equivalent to DeShaun Watson now... big deal, he has to dust off the resume anyway

They were indiscreet, but involved in a fully consensual relationship. And if this guy doesn't have $20M laid up in investments and isn't facing a divorce, he'll be fine whatever happens.

I used to work for a local/small company that had a policy in place that they would not hire relatives of employees.  The head of HR would send out emails every time they hired someone new.  One day an email comes out that they hired a new guy, and it said right in the email, that he was my cousin.  Now, it was surprising to me because I did not even know that he had applied.  There was a huge outcry about it, so much so, that they had to write up a new policy that only direct relatives (siblings, parents, spouses, children) could not be hired, but more distant relatives could.  

But if you were a related to the owners that was ok.  

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I used to work for a local/small company that had a policy in place that they would not hire relatives of employees.  The head of HR would send out emails every time they hired someone new.  One day an email comes out that they hired a new guy, and it said right in the email, that he was my cousin.  Now, it was surprising to me because I did not even know that he had applied.  There was a huge outcry about it, so much so, that they had to write up a new policy that only direct relatives (siblings, parents, spouses, children) could not be hired, but more distant relatives could.  

But if you were a related to the owners that was ok.  

People get treated differently for various reasons.  Been that way since the dawn of man. 

If you aren't related to the owners, again, make sure you don't give people a reason to replace you.  And if you find you and a colleague are getting into a relationship, delineate the rules for both of you with someone of authority so you know where you stand.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Doc said:

If the relationship went sour, D'Angelo could claim sexual harassment.  You never know.  Again not worth the headache and better to get rid of them sooner than later.  Consider them to be like Matt Araiza, Roth especially.

I see this post, and others like it in this thread, as sexist, as it intimates that women should strongly be viewed as liars. You’re saying that even if the break up is “normal”, she will come running to sue with a made up claim.

And in some of the other posts, same story, as it’s fact that most sexual harassment claims are brought by women, so their “scenarios” are saying that they’re worried that the woman will scream sexual harassment after the relationship ends. Not all women are liars, just like not all people are liars.

9 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

I see this post, and others like it in this thread, as sexist, as it intimates that women should strongly be viewed as liars. You’re saying that even if the break up is “normal”, she will come running to sue with a made up claim.

And in some of the other posts, same story, as it’s fact that most sexual harassment claims are brought by women, so their “scenarios” are saying that they’re worried that the woman will scream sexual harassment after the relationship ends. Not all women are liars, just like not all people are liars.

That happens though.  Breakups get ugly, especially if the people are stuck in the same work spaces for most of their waking lives.  It would be similar if the genders were reversed here.  If the male was the lower rank, he could throw crap at the female supervisor.  The person can throw all sorts of allegations, and it becomes a he said/she said thing.  They also can perceive unfair treatment due to the breakup in any number of manifestations which may or may not exist

I would say the company is also at risk for the superior to exact some sort of retaliation toward their ex.  Possibly even going psycho and assigning themselves to projects together and making work uncomfortable/uninhabitable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Not at all, regarding the bold. There is no lumping together an entire gender. We live in the real world, and you have to guard against that one situation that could bite you on the arse. It just takes one to create an unfortunate situation, so there is a rule against those relationships. Plus, you are making the assumption that they are lying. What if it’s real? What if the female is the supervisor? Did you think of that? Now who is being sexist? 

To me this is very simple. The employer has a rule that they feel is in their best interest. You follow the employers rules, or you face the consequences. These restrictions apply to all people, in theory, not one gender or the other.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

About 10 years ago I was promoted to a job where I had 8 reports, all women.   One woman in particular was very upset I was promoted, as she wanted the job.    

5 months into the job my boss called me out of the blue while I was at the gym, and asked if I had ever considered promoting the woman who was upset over not getting the manager job.  I told him I hadn't, she had a terrible attitude, and didn't have a college degree which was part of the job requirement to move to a Sr. Position.  He said fair enough but I think she has great potential.

One month after that conversation my local HR came to me to let me know I was under investigation for sexual harassment.  And that corporate HR was coming to investigate me.  Wanna guess who filed the complaint?  

Corporate HR investigated me, interviewed my other reports and came to the conclusion that they couldn't find any wrong doing with me towards my other reports, but because it was her word against mine, I wasn't going to be fired but if anyone ever made a claim against me again I'd be let go.  

A month later a different department, oddly enough law, offered me a position with no direct reports for a substantial raise.  I took it, and 10 years later I am still with the company.

My boss was fired after the corporate investigation however because come to find out he was sleeping with the woman who made the claim against me.  He was in his 50s and married, she was in her twenties.   She was sleeping with him and he was calling all the department heads trying to get her a promotion.

Point is, I went to college and worked for a degree.  Then I busted my butt to get my career to the point where I was being promoted and making good money.  Make no mistake, this was a career, not just a job.   And it was about to be taken  away because someone made a false claim.

To this day, I won't go to lunch with a female colleague.  I won't be in an elevator or in an office alone with them.   I don't talk to a female colleague about anything other than work.   

Maybe it only takes one but I am not taking the risk the one just happens to be the one I am talking to or alone with.  This woman ruined my life for an entire month just because she could.

Like it or not people are inherently selfish, entitled, and manipulative.  It takes self control and maturity to overcome those things.  There aren't many emotionally mature people walking around.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Agree 4

6 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

About 10 years ago I was promoted to a job where I had 8 reports, all women.   One women in particular was very upset I was promoted, as she wanted the job.    

5 months into the job my boss called me out of the blue while I was at the gym, and asked if I had ever considered promoting the women who was upset over not getting the manager job.  I told him I hadn't, she had a terrible attitude, and didn't have a college degree which was part of the job requirement to move to a Sr. Position.  He said fair enough but I think she has great potential.

One month after that conversation my local HR came to me to let me know I was under investigation for sexual harassment.  And that corporate HR was coming to investigate me.  Wanna guess who filed the complaint?  

Corporate HR investigated me, interviewed my other reports and came to the conclusion that they couldn't find any wrong doing with me towards my other reports, but because it was her word against mine, I wasn't going to be fired but if anyone ever made a claim against me again I'd be let go.  

A month later a different department, oddly enough law, offered me a position with no direct reports for a substantial raise.  I took it, and 10 years later I am still with the company.

My boss was fired after the corporate investigation however because come to find out he was sleeping with the woman who made the claim against me.  He was in his 50s and married, she was in her twenties.   She was sleeping with him and he was calling all the department heads trying to get her a promotion.

Point is, I went to college and worked for a degree.  Then I busted my butt to get my career to the point where I was being promoted.  Make no mistake, this was a career, not just a job.   And it was about to be taken all away because someone made a claim.

To this day, I won't go to lunch with a female colleague.  I won't be in an elevator or in an office alone with them.   I don't talk to a female colleague about anything other than work.   

Maybe it only takes one but I am not taking the risk the one just happens to be the one I am talking to or alone with.  This woman ruined my life for an entire month just because she could.

Sorry for the tangent, but I have a college buddy who coaches girl’s high school tennis. I have told him a thousand times to make sure he is never alone with any one of those young, hormonal tennis players.  You don’t have to do anything wrong to wind up in a HORRIBLE situation. 

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Sorry for the tangent, but I have a college buddy who coaches girl’s high school tennis. I have told him a thousand times to make sure he is never alone with any one of those young, hormonal tennis players.  You don’t have to do anything wrong to wind up in a HORRIBLE situation. 

I have a teenage son.  I started telling him the same thing a few years back.   

If a woman comes into my office, I ask her if it would be ok to move the conversation to a common area or I invite another person to join the conversation.  I will never go through what I went through  again.   My career would have been ruined.

Edited by thenorthremembers

3 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

I never said she will, but that she could.  He would have a harder time filing a claim against the Bills, much less for sexual harassment, so that's why I went with one example of what could happen.

3 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

I think 'normal' is what's up for debate

There are a ton of scenarios wherein certain workplace dynamics can create potential for grounds

that's why companies try to discourage as much as possible

Speaking of sexual harassment, one of the really attractive nurses at work (a manager, on the GI side) just came up to me alone in the hallway that leads to the GI suites and said "X left her phone in the locker room.  Let's take a dick pic!" while pointing it at my nether regions.  I said "you'll have to back up a bit."

Edited by Doc
  • Haha (+1) 2

Yeah, it's the NY Post, but they're saying the London trip did them in.

https://nypost.com/2023/10/12/top-bills-sabres-execs-fired-over-brazen-romantic-relationship/?

The Buffalo Bills’ trip to London ended in an upset and a front office shakeup.

John Roth, who was recently named chief operating officer of both the Bills and Buffalo Sabres — which are owned by Terry Pegula — was fired, along with Kathryn D’Angelo, the Bills’ general counsel and senior vice president of business administration, due to their involvement in a romantic relationship in the workplace, according to The Athletic.

Things between Roth and D’Angelo “got too brazen” in London, though the exact details of what occurred are unknown.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, it's the NY Post, but they're saying the London trip did them in.

https://nypost.com/2023/10/12/top-bills-sabres-execs-fired-over-brazen-romantic-relationship/?

The Bills announced a new management committee — consisting of Roth, D’Angelo and Josh Dziurlikowski

It is the NY Post.  Surprised they did not call the new management committee a threesome.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.