Kaiir Elam is a liability any time he is on the field

Einstein

I blame the coaching staff to a degree for Elam's play and Kingsley Jonathan exhausted a lot today.

This isn't Madden - you can't shelf guys for games and then ask them to instantly play an entire game and also do it well. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, HoofHearted said:

We blitzed because we weren’t getting any penetration with 4. Multiple opportunities for coverage sacks today but couldn’t even collapse the pocket. What’s disheartening is Kaiir was put in position as that boundary corner to be in mostly man situations but lost leverage or didn’t understand what leverage to play with many times.

However, lack of execution offensively is why we lost this game.

My understanding of football is maybe 1/1000 of yours so I don't dare to comment on the first part, but the last sentence is spot on. We lost because offense didn't execute.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Einstein said:

He was routinely targeted, routinely beat, and routinely frustrated.

Some fans thought he was a healthy scratch in previous games simply because Benford is better.

Yeah, Benford is better… but Elam is also a bad player.

They’re not mutually exclusive. 

Yes and he should be traded, but they wont.

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

Ridley is a solid player. I’m not sure there’s anybody on the roster who was gonna cover him today without leaving Kirk and engram open all day. 

Ridley last week: 2 receptions for 32 yards

Ridley the previous week: 3 receptions for 40 yards

Ridley the previous previous week: 2 receptions for 38 yards

Ridley is a good player but let’s not pretend he is some unstoppable force. I am confident that Tre or Benford would not have allowed the game Ridley had today.

I didn’t jump in here to defend Elams play or make excuses for him. I just thought there were much bigger takeaways from the loss 

Sure, there may be bigger takeaways. So go post in threads that discuss those. Why hijack a thread talking about one problem to repeatedly say “but there are other problems tooooo”?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1

The simping for Elam on this board solely because he was a first rounder are disgusting. 

I told people when he was drafted he was a 2nd rounder at best and we reached. He had a terrible senior year. His strength is press man but he doesn’t use his feet and always grabs. Can’t get away with that in the NFL. 

They literally at times had a LB chucking his guy on the line of scrimmage like a RB or TE does for a crappy OT. 

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Ridley is a good player but let’s not pretend he is some unstoppable force. I am confident that Tre or Benford would not have allowed the game Ridley had today.

Sure, there may be bigger takeaways. So go post in threads that discuss those. Why hijack a thread talking about one problem to repeatedly say “but there are other problems tooooo”?

I won’t engage in your threads in the future. We can agree on that 👍 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

What’s disheartening is Kaiir was put in position as that boundary corner to be in mostly man situations but lost leverage or didn’t understand what leverage to play with many times.

I was going to ask you what you thought of our WR’s reaction to defensive leverage in this game. Sure seemed like from the broadcast that everyone outside of Diggs was in bad leverage situations and was part of the reason why the offense struggled in the first half.

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Yes, Doug Pederson implemented the Kaiir Elam plan. I also think his badness is why the Bills blitzed so much - whoever he was covering was going to get open.

True,He was poor , but run d has continued to be an issue all year. D failed to take anything away consistently today, being terrible in 3rd downs. .  D has been  giving  up 6 yards plus a carry.  That and the many missed tackles sealed the game with the long rushing  TD.  D played perfectly last week. This week unfortunately with all the injuries, things compounded. Bills will be vulnerable to teams who can run effectively in addition to their passing attack ,especially with the small lb corp.  

Today with the  terrible breakdowns in coverage missing the two starting db’s, and all world lb Milano being out, and the o choosing  not to show up for 3 quarters resulted in losing to a team who had struggled. This is why despite coming off 3 wins, many still expected the jags to pull the upset. This is a very very good staff, but every year they do something that seems inexplicable, and they manage once again to lose to a jags team that beat them 2 years ago in a similar way, and you would think they wouldn’t keep repeating the same ugly mistakes.  Quite a different coaching job, production than what we saw last week    The o needed to score more than 7 before the 4th quarter; hard to understand NO sense of urgency until it was really too much to overcome.  This is still an issue with Dorsey ; has a game where o is not producing and he does nothing to change the pace / playcalling until its desperation time.  Hope he learns at some point ,because this inconsistency will hurt them down the road in the playoff hunt for home field games.

At times  Allen seems to lose situational awareness where he reverts to making risky throws over choosing to run for what looks like obtainable 1st  downs,  or at the least getting the team in FG range. Those decisions add up over a  game and there are too many examples  with this staff when big plays still end up in failed drives with no points at all. IMHO, It’s really frustrating to watch such A talented  team at times keep  hurting themselves, but it’s become a recurrent theme over several years and seems even  more apparent under DORSEY’s offensive guidance.               It’s frustrating  to watch them go 3 quarters or have long lulls in scoring followed by periods of scoring at will  ONLY AFTER they have created desperate situations for themselves. It felt like they had overcome that after all the games following the JETS, and then they throw this type of game out there and it becomes evident why national media types are reluctant to believe the BILLS will ever SUSTAIN success over an entire season. Sadly, the injuries today may have really added another large obstacle to their chances at that SB that looked so possible last week. 

Edited by DrPJax
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

They picked on him in all big moments. We got outcoached in addition to a lot of other things

Bills held them to 11 most of the game. Our own drops arguably hurt more than Elams play. 

McDermott had his hands full. Losing Tre and Benford last week and Milano early today, Just sucks. Elam needs to be better going forward but getting Benford back with be a big help 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Beast said:

I thought they picked on Jackson in the 1st half and Elam in the 2nd.

Regardless, we are hurting at Corner and Linebacker and our offense stunk up the United Kingdom. Our defense had only given up 11 through 3 quarters. They just ran out of gas late.

Being without Greg Rousseau was a bigger blow than many realize.  He has developed into a good and still improving player.  In addition, D was on the field for a lot of the game because the O wasn’t doing its job.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

We blitzed because we weren’t getting any penetration with 4. Multiple opportunities for coverage sacks today but couldn’t even collapse the pocket. What’s disheartening is Kaiir was put in position as that boundary corner to be in mostly man situations but lost leverage or didn’t understand what leverage to play with many times.

However, lack of execution offensively is why we lost this game.

👍👍👍

Always preaching truth. He may need to be a field corner. And even then... I don't know. He just... isn't right. Last year he was fine.

I am ready for some Ingram. And id trade elam for his own sake to resurrect his career. 

20 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Benford would have been a great matchup for him. The instincts and almostly seeming luck he has to defend a pass.

White would have shut him down. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Einstein said:

He was routinely targeted, routinely beat, and routinely frustrated.

Some fans thought he was a healthy scratch in previous games simply because Benford is better.

Yeah, Benford is better… but Elam is also a bad player.

They’re not mutually exclusive. 

Elam was completely turned around on a couple plays I saw. I don't know wtf he was doing. He looked lost. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.