Allen's completion percentage - Him, or Dorsey or the weapons

FireChans

13 hours ago, FireChans said:

Josh Allen currently has the highest completion percentage of his career, 74.8 percent.

For context, he had 1 game above that last season, and his second highest percentage was 68%.

In 2021, he had 3 games above that, including playoffs.

Is this the new Josh?  Has he and Dorsey gotten on the same page finally in regards to running the offense?  Is he benefiting from Cook and Kincaid and the gang?

What say you.

The last 3 games, outside of the two Playoff games in 2022, has been Josh playing the smartest football of his career. If this trend continues, this offense is basically unstoppable. We already know he has a cannon. We already know he can drop a 60 yard throw right into the bread basket. Now we are seeing Josh take anything and everything the defense gives to him. You want to take away the deep shots? Fine. He'll light you up with 10-15 yard throws all day. You want to run Cover 0 and send 6 people after him? Fine. He's going to hit those RB's in the flat, or slashing just beyond the LOS in the middle, or whoever else his hot read may be. This IS the maturation we've all been waiting for. If he's committed to taking whatever the defense gives him, then it opens up everything else. There is no one thing a defense can do to slow him down. And you know what? He can still tuck the ball and take off when a play breaks down or once you've been lulled to sleep as well. This is that Notorious QB and the league is on notice. 

Josh-Allen-Notorious-Qb-Shirt-Gift-For-F

14 hours ago, FireChans said:

Josh Allen currently has the highest completion percentage of his career, 74.8 percent.

For context, he had 1 game above that last season, and his second highest percentage was 68%.

Is this the new Josh?  Has he and Dorsey gotten on the same page finally in regards to running the offense?  Is he benefiting from Cook and Kincaid and the gang?

What say you.

I was on a small island of those who were not sad to see Dabol leave, not overtly thrilled, but not sad, and i've been a Ken Dorsey fanboy from the start.  I think he's got a better and more balanced strategy for overall success, so I'd say putting josh in the right situation is his 33.333%, 33.333% seriously great receiving talent executing on that game plan, and the rest is allen having the talent to put the ball where no other QB can with insane velocity.  33.334%.  I think what we're really seeing is that it takes more than just arm talent to be able to complete passes at that level.

Think getting the running game going has opened up the underneath stuff. Defenses are starting to have to account for James Cook or Murray or Harris. Last year every media personnel was saying Josh needs to take the underneath stuff and take what given to him. The issue was it was given to him. Linebackers were sitting on those underneath routes with no threat of a running game

I would also add a better OL and better run game. Cook is on pace to rush for over 1,000 yards. Last time a Bills RB did that was Shady. They aren't one dimensional anymore. Better run game opens up the passing game. Josh is taking what the defense is giving him these past 3 weeks. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, FireChans said:

I thought that too, but Josh has the second highest YPA of his career thus far.

YAC is the difference. Diggs busting off that TD is a great example and Cook running down the sideline for a big gain. He is throwing shorter passes. Let’s look at air yards. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Agree with almost all the comments above.

What is it about the Jets that gives Allen issues?
Conversely what is it about Miami that he owns them?

I'd classify the Jets as a defensive team and the Dolphins as an offensive team. Their strengths in coaching, scheme, personnel, etc. are on those sides of the ball. The Jets defense gives most QB's a hard time, not just Josh Allen.

And we seem to always play the Jets very early in the season, often week 1 or 2. I think that plays into it. It can take Josh and the offense a bit of time to click and acclimate.

Edited by MJS
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, FireChans said:

I thought that too, but Josh has the second highest YPA of his career thus far.

Don't forget, yards per attempt is heavily affected by completion percentage. Basically, incompletions count the same as a completion for 0 yards, bringing down the average.

Separating out completion % and yards/completion can provide more detailed insight into quarterback performance but conversely yards/attempt is a very good overall summary statistic for quarterback play.

On 10/3/2023 at 5:44 PM, FireChans said:

What say you.

All of the above, but if I’m right, Josh has seen the light so to speak.

I think it's Allen. He's not throwing howitzers all over the field and trying to make each play a TD. He's finding the open man and racking up points not by chucking it deep every play, but by being methodical all the way down the field, playing smart and not playing hero ball every play. He's plays like this the rest of the year, and the rest of the team can stay healthy, they will be a very tough out, teams will be forced to pass, and you'll have Groot, Oliver, Miller, Floyd teeing off because you have to throw it to keep up with this offense...yikes

It's a combination of all three. He's taking the short/underneath stuff, our OL is good at pass pro and decent at run blocking and we have a running game that is competent enough that it requires respect and game planning.

All those factors are forcing defenders to play closer to the LOS which opens up the downfield shots when there's 1-1 coverage. That's how is completion % is so high with his YPA also being high.

Strongly feel Allen has one of those “I’m never going to do that to myself again…” embarrassing moments on MNF against the jets

i don’t think this qb we have seen goes away - I I think he matured literally overnight 

he was embarrassed and hit a point of “no more”

so I think Allen is the credit here 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

Strongly feel Allen has one of those “I’m never going to do that to myself again…” embarrassing moments on MNF against the jets

i don’t think this qb we have seen goes away - I I think he matured literally overnight 

he was embarrassed and hit a point of “no more”

so I think Allen is the credit here 

I don’t know. He still threw one of those “arm punt” INTs against Washington.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

I don’t know. He still threw one of those “arm punt” INTs against Washington.

As someone who hates the interception is as good as a punt excuse, that one was actually justified.  It was third and 20, there was no way a dump off was going to get you a first down and they were out of field goal position. I can understand Allen taking the risk there.   That was one of the very few cases where the interception was actually as good as a punt.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.