Joe Namath wants Jets to clean house & start over

Albany,n.y.

16 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

This from a man who threw more interceptions than touchdowns in almost every season he played in and for his career and the ONLY reason why he is in the HOF is because of Super Bowl III. 

Namath was the first guy to throw for over 4000 yards - in 1967 - in only 14 games and at a time when WR's & QB's could legally be cheap shotted. That alone enures his place in NFL history.  Throw in how he engineered the Jet's to that 16 - 7 SB win over Baltimore and Namath may be an underappreciated QB.  For us old geezers who watched AFL football you can't begin to appreciate how important it was for the Jets to win that SB.  Back in those days Bills fans like almost every other AFL team's fans rooted hard for the Jet's & Chiefs to win those Super Bowls.

The old AFL versus NFL rivalry was real, raw and full of hatred.  It was sad that the merger took it all away.

• Agree 2

Amazing how the hype about the Jets evaporated with a single sack by Leonard Floyd.  Rodgers is still a good QB but (even before the injury, of course) he's not elite.  All the great players the Jets are said to have, except for Rodgers, are still there.  If the team could collapse like this just from a single player's absence, it wasn't that great to begin with.  

I'm sure the Jets are ruing their decision to let Mike White go to the Dolphins.  White would be starting now.

16 hours ago, Since1981 said:

Pure silly to blame HC & GM for QB1-HOF(ish) going down and in chaos. I have to think they’re on the QB hotlines now but it won’t cut it. 

JA17 goes down. Allen #2 is a cluster year. 

I agree with this.  But the OL there is in shambles, that impacts the running game at the very least.  And the inability to swing a trade or sign someone like Colt McCoy or trade for Jamis Winston (would be nearly impossible now) is ridiculous.  The Jets seem content to play out the year for a better draft position.  They could still make the playoffs with a serviceable QB given the D and weapons they have with G. WIlson and the RBs.  

All that said, I'm glad they are a disaster! 

13 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Namath was the first guy to throw for over 4000 yards - in 1967 - in only 14 games and at a time when WR's & QB's could legally be cheap shotted. That alone enures his place in NFL history.  Throw in how he engineered the Jet's to that 16 - 7 SB win over Baltimore and Namath may be an underappreciated QB.  For us old geezers who watched AFL football you can't begin to appreciate how important it was for the Jets to win that SB.  Back in those days Bills fans like almost every other AFL team's fans rooted hard for the Jet's & Chiefs to win those Super Bowls.

The old AFL versus NFL rivalry was real, raw and full of hatred.  It was sad that the merger took it all away.

All your points about the historic nature of the Jets SB III win are valid.  In fact there's some evidence that that SB was handed to the Jets through officiating and intentionally poor play by the Colts, so the Jets could win and the balance between the leagues would seem better.  

That said, Namath's good years were only from around 1967-69.  His knees were injured so badly, and the Jets roster grew so much weaker, that he was no longer as effective.  The point being that he had only about three really good years.  Most QBs in the HOF have much longer periods of success.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Saleh is almost as bad a HC as Wilson is a QB.

Biggest Meathead HC in the game.

So yeah,  now Namath is right.

But they should have known that last year when Saleh was making in-season promises about keeping receipts on the media who criticized him and declaring that he was going to meet the Bills in the playoffs after their loss in Buffalo etc..    

Amazing the pass the NY media have given that dummy.

I don't think the Titans have fired their Head Coach yet.

25 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

So a) I am in NO WAY saying that the Super Bowl III result wasn't important, or b) The AFL was a bum league, just that Namath was a very overrated player and a QB like John Hadl who is not in the Hall of Fame was better. Daryle Lamonica was electric and had a much better run than Namath did as well.

Don Shula was fired after Super Bowl III because of it... and rightfully so.

24 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

So a) I am in NO WAY saying that the Super Bowl III result wasn't important, or b) The AFL was a bum league, just that Namath was a very overrated player and a QB like John Hadl who is not in the Hall of Fame was better. Daryle Lamonica was electric and had a much better run than Namath did as well.

Don Shula was fired after Super Bowl III because of it... and rightfully so.

Shula wasn't fired by the Colts.  Between your revisionist history and the conspiracy theory that Super Bowl III was fixed, this thread is getting pretty strange. 

The relationship between Shula and Rosenbloom had soured after Shula's Super Bowl loss in 1969, and when Miami Dolphins owner Joe Robbie offered the coach a $70,000-a-year contract, the powers of general manager, and a 10% ownership stake in the AFL team after that season, he jumped at the opportunity.[48][49][50] Rosenbloom cried foul at an NFL meeting in 1970 in Hawaii, alleging that Robbie's hiring of his coach violated the league's prohibition on tampering, or negotiating to hire other teams' employees without seeking permission.[51] Shula and Robbie hoped that Shula's ownership stake and status as his own general manager would avoid tampering penalties under an exception for an employee leaving a club to "better himself".[49] League commissioner Pete Rozelle found the Dolphins in violation of the tampering policy because they didn't seek permission to negotiate and didn't notify the Colts of the hiring before its announcement.[51] As punishment, Rozelle awarded the Colts Miami's first-round pick in 1971

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Shula

Well apparently it must not have been Suzy Kolber since he "didn't give a damn about how the Jets are playing, I just want to kiss you!" when she asked what he thought...😂

9 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Looks like the Jets don't want to go with Zach Wilson. 

image.thumb.png.7947130145ca856807cafcdf2c6445ac.png

LMAO...I don't know which is worse...

Just now, Big Turk said:

Well apparently it must not have been Suzy Kolber since he "didn't give a damn about how the Jets are playing, I just want to kiss you!" when she asked what he thought...😂

LMAO...I don't know which is worse...

They have to try something. I would have signed Wentz or Ryan over Siemian but Zach is so bad that anyone of them is probably a better option.

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Shula wasn't fired by the Colts.  Between your revisionist history and the conspiracy theory that Super Bowl III was fixed, this thread is getting pretty strange. 

The relationship between Shula and Rosenbloom had soured after Shula's Super Bowl loss in 1969, and when Miami Dolphins owner Joe Robbie offered the coach a $70,000-a-year contract, the powers of general manager, and a 10% ownership stake in the AFL team after that season, he jumped at the opportunity.[48][49][50] Rosenbloom cried foul at an NFL meeting in 1970 in Hawaii, alleging that Robbie's hiring of his coach violated the league's prohibition on tampering, or negotiating to hire other teams' employees without seeking permission.[51] Shula and Robbie hoped that Shula's ownership stake and status as his own general manager would avoid tampering penalties under an exception for an employee leaving a club to "better himself".[49] League commissioner Pete Rozelle found the Dolphins in violation of the tampering policy because they didn't seek permission to negotiate and didn't notify the Colts of the hiring before its announcement.[51] As punishment, Rozelle awarded the Colts Miami's first-round pick in 1971

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Shula

So he wasn't technically fired, he "left". That is my bad.

You're lying. Provide me with proof I said Super Bowl III was fixed. I would NEVER say it outright or even ALLUDE to that crapola. Apologize.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

I don't understand what the Jets are expecting to see with Zach Wilson.  I think he's had plenty of games to show what he does.

I suspect his presence on the field is due to something stupid like the billionaire owner not wanting to spend money on a temporary fix. 

3 hours ago, Utah John said:

All your points about the historic nature of the Jets SB III win are valid.  In fact there's some evidence that that SB was handed to the Jets through officiating and intentionally poor play by the Colts, so the Jets could win and the balance between the leagues would seem better.  

That said, Namath's good years were only from around 1967-69.  His knees were injured so badly, and the Jets roster grew so much weaker, that he was no longer as effective.  The point being that he had only about three really good years.  Most QBs in the HOF have much longer periods of success.

I think the Chiefs convincing win over the Vikings the very next year puts to rest any conspiracy theories of this nature.  There were signs in the first 2 SB's that the AFL was a lot closer then the scores indicated.  The fact is that in 1968 the Jets were not even the best team in the AFL with the Raiders and possibly even the Chiefs being better.

Dennis Waszak Jr. on X: "Aaron Rodgers on @PatMcAfeeShow says the #Jets need to "hold our poise" better and says former players (re: Namath) and fans aren't "helping the cause" by ripping on the QB and the franchise. Wants everyone "to stick together. Too much negativity." "Take a couple of breaths."" / X (twitter.com)

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

I don't understand what the Jets are expecting to see with Zach Wilson.  I think he's had plenty of games to show what he does.

I suspect his presence on the field is due to something stupid like the billionaire owner not wanting to spend money on a temporary fix. 

That and the fallacy of sunk costs.  

That was supposed to be Trevor Lawrence in a tank year, but Frank Gore had to pile up yards in a meaningless game

2 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

So he wasn't technically fired, he "left". That is my bad.

You're lying. Provide me with proof I said Super Bowl III was fixed. I would NEVER say it outright or even ALLUDE to that crapola. Apologize.

Reading comprehension, pal.  I stated:  Between your revisionist history and the conspiracy theory that Super Bowl III was fixed, this thread is getting pretty strange.  Your revisionist history and the conspiracy theory that someone else mentioned are two separate things, that's what the word between means.  That's why it says THIS THREAD is getting pretty strange.  

I expect your apology soon.  

New Topic: 

The Jets have solved their QB problem with the return of Trevor Siemian.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Gase but Saleh isn't good.

The Jets have to have one of the sadder coaching histories in the NFL.  

If you remove Al Groh, who coached just one season, they have had just two coaches with a record .500 or better.  Parcells lasted three seasons, Baugh lasted two.  

image.thumb.png.480353fbac9b575817a41af676bd547c.png

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dpberr said:

The Jets have to have one of the sadder coaching histories in the NFL.  

If you remove Al Groh, who coached just one season, they have had just two coaches with a record .500 or better.  Parcells lasted three seasons, Baugh lasted two.  

image.thumb.png.480353fbac9b575817a41af676bd547c.png

We only have 5 ourselves.  Saban, Knox (by 1 game), Levy, Phillips & McDermott.  

21 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

He looks & sounds sober.  

He is. After what happened on live TV he got sober. Took a major embarrassment and turned into a positive by showing other people it wasn't too late to change. Plus, he's 100% correct about Wilson. You can't compare the stats of guys like Namath & Johnny Unitas to guys playing today. The rules were totally different and favored the defense. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.