USFL-XFL merge; become UFL w/USFL and XFL divisions

PromoTheRobot

2 minutes ago, DeltaDigital said:

OMG. let it die already. nobody cares about this... who watches this garbage? 

Agree. Football in the spring doesn't work. It's been proven over and over again. The only football people care about are the NFL and college football. In the spring people are following the NHL playoffs (let's hope this happens in Buffalo this year), the NBA playoffs and baseball.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1

XFL started with a great business model.   They wanted to be an alternative to college football to give kids with academic issues or the financial need to go pro right after high school a chance to get paid to play football.    Think Overtime Elite in basketball.   Instead they just did what every Spring League does and featured past their prime ex-NFLers and guys who never made to the league.  It's bad football.   Until the NFL agrees to make one of these leagues their farm system its never going to work.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

XFL started with a great business model.   They wanted to be an alternative to college football to give kids with academic issues or the financial need to go pro right after high school a chance to get paid to play football.    Think Overtime Elite in basketball.   Instead they just did what every Spring League does and featured past their prime ex-NFLers and guys who never made to the league.  It's bad football.   Until the NFL agrees to make one of these leagues their farm system its never going to work.

How is it not working? There are over 100 XFL and USFL players invited into NFL camps this year. And who cares if they are 2nd or 3rd time guys? Isn't the point of spring ball to work on your skills so you get another look?

26 minutes ago, DeltaDigital said:

I'll never understand why some people get so angry over spring football.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I havent watched anything in the Spring since the first ever XFL game a long time ago... and that got boring and I tuned out by halftime.

I dont know what can move the needle for me to be compelled to watch.  I dont like the cities/markets they always choose.  NY, LA, St Louis, DC, Seattle, Houston, etc.  The team names and identities are also very boring.  They try to be extreme for the sake of it and as a result, you have miscellaneous brands and logos that represent the CPU generated teams on Madden or something.  

I believe if they went more regional, played in smaller venues, in places where people will go and care about the team.... maybe enough heat can be brought where it is interesting to watch for atmosphere?  

I dont care about 'bad football'.  I have watched a ton of compelling and entertaining MAC games.  

I guess these leagues try to be "NFL Jr" and in Vince McMahon's case even intended to compete with the NFL, it is offputting.  They need to know their place, find their nitch, get some traction, and grow it.  Not start the league, play in front of 60,000 people and sign giant TV deals.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1

Not since Spirit Airlines attempted to merge with Frontier Airlines have we had such a promising deal: killing two awful products in one fell swoop.

19 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I believe if they went more regional, played in smaller venues, in places where people will go and care about the team.... maybe enough heat can be brought where it is interesting to watch for atmosphere? 

I think if you ran it like the NBA G League on a bigger stage, with minor league teams affiliated with NFL teams, you'd get people to pay attention. Until then, no.

47 minutes ago, DeltaDigital said:

i get it, its not the most exciting thing to watch. i try getting into it a little each year, and its a tough watch..... but if they can grind through a decade and figure it out, it would be soooooooooo valuable to NFL play.  QB/OL play is hurting so much in the NFL, if fringe guys (trey lance sticks out, or a lot of these 5th or later picks) can find a way to start in XFL, then stick around for NFL training camps/meetings/prep, theyll be sharpening sword on both sides.

• Like (+1) 6

45 minutes ago, DeltaDigital said:

Why? Go outside. Get a Haircut, change your oil, Cut your nails, wash your dog... plenty of other way more productive things to do... Can you tell me WHY you watch it? Im genuniely curious... 

That's my Thursday to do list sans dog.

• Haha (+1) 1

For those who want the NFL to adopt the league, keep in mind the NFL doesn't want any more exposure to CTE lawsuits. So they are happy to maintain an arm's length relationship with both leagues. They already work with both to train officials.

The best part of the XFL, I thought, was the full transparency on officials calls and reviews. All refs were miked up as was the replay booth.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, DeltaDigital said:

Why? Go outside. Get a Haircut, change your oil, Cut your nails, wash your dog... plenty of other way more productive things to do... Can you tell me WHY you watch it? Im genuniely curious... 

I watched when I had a few ridiculous parlays (small bets) that involved legs from the XFL (couldnt bet on USFL). 

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Not since Spirit Airlines attempted to merge with Frontier Airlines have we had such a promising deal: killing two awful products in one fell swoop.

I think if you ran it like the NBA G League on a bigger stage, with minor league teams affiliated with NFL teams, you'd get people to pay attention. Until then, no.

You are probably right.  If the Bills had a developmental team, I think I could (possibly) be compelled to watch

2 hours ago, DeltaDigital said:

No let it thrive if they can help some unknown talent at oline emerge to help the NFL have more options for experience at a pro level.  And if they come up with any rule differences that make sense that gives them a view of any tweaks such rules might need for nfl standards.  Can find a number of ways the NFL could benefit from additional leagues.  Its unlikely they overtake the popularity of the NFL, unless the NFL owners really ignore fans on important issues.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

So neither league is financially sound and both are hopping that by merging they might survive, wishful thinking, at best it gives them one more season, and then “POOF” they were gone, 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DeltaDigital said:

I don't watch, but it is another avenue for player development and scouting for the NFL. I hope it gets bigger and profitable and remains a good avenue for players to get back into the league. There are already success stories.

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

For those who want the NFL to adopt the league, keep in mind the NFL doesn't want any more exposure to CTE lawsuits. So they are happy to maintain an arm's length relationship with both leagues. They already work with both to train officials.

The best part of the XFL, I thought, was the full transparency on officials calls and reviews. All refs were miked up as was the replay booth.

Who wants the NFL to “adopt” these leagues? 

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Who wants the NFL to “adopt” these leagues? 

I wouldn't mind they make some kind of arrangement.  After all if they can help to bring along some promising potential olinemen that alone would be worth adopting.  Will it happen probably not but maybe it should.  They could give parameters of what skills are needed to be a olineman in nfl. They have no ability to get colleges to do so.  But giving some financial stability to a pro league with talent that needs development is a good start.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.