McDermott calling the D: what'd ya think?

Success

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

I normally hate when people say, “well, it was against ________ .”

But it was against an offense led by what’s his name.

They shut down an offense that they should have shut down.  

That’s a good thing. 

Yes and people also need to realize that the defense was on the field longer than the offense. You can only stop somebody so many times before they score especially if you keep giving them the ball back. The defense played very well. 

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Yes and people also need to realize that the defense was on the field longer than the offense. You can only stop somebody so many times before they score especially if you keep giving them the ball back. The defense played very well. 

Every offensive possession (unless it ends the game or half) results in the other team getting the ball back. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

The Bills probably had to change their whole defense when Rodgers went out so I give them credit for holding them to 16 points of offense and adapting. Von Miller was healthy during those games last season so I think it’s extremely encouraging that they were getting consistent pressure without him last Sunday. The Bengals were supposed to have a crap O-line during the playoffs and the Bills got man-handled. You are right though. We need to see more games. 

Well, like I pointed out somewhere recently, last season we held the Jets to 20 and 12, this season to 16 in regulation.  

We had the 2nd ranked defense in the league.  

5 other teams held them to fewer than 12 points and they were ranked 3rd, 11th, 12th, 24th, and 25th.  

On top of that, three additional teams and one of the same, NE, held them to fewer than 20.  Those teams were ranked 5th, 11th, 15th, and 29th.  

In light of that, I'm not sure that holding essentially the same team to 16 in regulation, with a QB that wasn't even prepared to play, is any significant achievement.  

We'll see, tomorrow will be a notably bigger test.  Fan energy will be at peak so that even favors us.  I expect Allen to rebound in spades but the D to not hold the Raiders to under 20.  

And if we can't stop Jacobs ... 

• Like (+1) 1

I think ppl need to go look at how bad Zach Wilson really is. 2022 the jets team with usually scored 3,10 or 17 points. 20

against us.

now there was points 40 against the dolphins in Oct and 24 against pit and gb. But he threw a combined 1 td in those 3 games 

he should have been totally rendered / made to look like dog feces having to come off the bench against the 3rd favorite Super Bowl team w a defensive coach calling the plays. 

And I know JA puked on himself. But if there was ever a game that needed to be stolen by our D. It would have been that game vs their OL and that awful qb. And that awful oc. And it didn’t happen. 

so McD gets to live another week bc Josh was so awful. But I’m not

falling for it. I’m watching. He’s feeling the heat.

you simply can’t lose a game w Zach Wilson beating you. I don’t care there were 4 turnovers. Really the one that really hurt was Josh fumble field position wise. The other two bombs were punts. 

Edited by balln

10 hours ago, Success said:

Sorry for the non-Josh Allen thread.

All offseason, we wondered how the D would be without Frazier, and w/ McD making the calls.  I've never been an x's & o's guy, but what I saw was pretty encouraging..  We were all over the passer, and our line was in the backfield all day.   The corners seemed to be playing a bit more press, and for the most part, locked it down. The only issue was giving up some big runs - but there were just a few of those lapses.

I think our personnel is better, so it's hard to gauge (Groot is clearly taking a next step, Oliver looks better, Floyd is a great addition, etc.).   There is also the consideration that the Jets O-line isn't good.

What did everyone think overall?

Not enough evidence yet. Fine so far.

2 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Overall really good. But saying someone lined up wrong in the 86 yard run? Your the coach .. that’s on you 

You take responsibility for everything as a leader. But that certainly doesn't mean it's actually your fault. The idea's ridiculous.

If you taught the guy how and when to do it and he didn't do it, it's his fault, regardless if you try to accept responsibility as leader.

Edited by Thurman#1

50 minutes ago, balln said:

I think ppl need to go look at how bad Zach Wilson really is. 2022 the jets team with usually scored 3,10 or 17 points. 20

against us.

now there was points 40 against the dolphins in Oct and 24 against pit and gb. But he threw a combined 1 td in those 3 games 

he should have been totally rendered / made to look like dog feces having to come off the bench against the 3rd favorite Super Bowl team w a defensive coach calling the plays. 

And I know JA puked on himself. But if there was ever a game that needed to be stolen by our D. It would have been that game vs their OL and that awful qb. And that awful oc. And it didn’t happen. 

you simply can’t lose a game w Zach Wilson beating you. I don’t care there were 4 turnovers. Really the one that really hurt was Josh fumble field position wise. The other two bombs were punts. 

Please. Ridiculous.

All those teams last year that handled him well last year were facing last year's Wilson. He might be much better now. Or not. But it's a good bet he's at least somewhat better.

Not to mention that all those teams prepared for a Zach Wilson-led team. The Bills prepared for an Aaron Rodgers-led team and handled the difference on the fly.

The D did an excellent job. It's only one game, but it was an excellent game.

Oh, and equating the INTs to punts is nonsense. That sometimes works but in one way, field position. But it's much more harmful to a team than a punt is. INTs, particularly those two horrible ones, are giving up a chance to hold the ball, rest the defense and score when you still had that chance. Punts happen on fourth down. These two INTs were both awful, for defense and offense. If they had happened on 3rd and 22, OK. But they didn't. On the first it was 3rd and 8. Allen had three options on the play all the way out to the left there. He took by far the worst. He could have run for a first down, he had Knox open by two or three steps and stacked on top of the CB on a go route on the left side and there was no way the safety could have gotten there. Two excellent options and he took the third, throw to the guy who was running towards the safety. In doing so he gave up probably point and time on the field, both of which would have helped the defense.

The second INT came on 2nd down. 2nd down on the Jets 41. Equating this with a punt is just stupid. It was absolutely a much worse outcome for the Bills, both for the offense and the defense. That "punt" gained 21 yards of field position to the 20. If it had been a punt, it would have been an awful one.  

You say you don't care about the turnovers? That shows more about you and your biases on the subject than it does about the defense.

Those TOs changed the momentum and handed points to the Jets and took opportunities and time away from our offense and gave all of those to the Jets.

13 of the 16 points the Jets offense scored came DIRECTLY off those turnovers.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Not enough evidence yet. Fine so far.

You take responsibility for everything as a leader. But that certainly doesn't mean it's actually your fault. The idea's ridiculous.

If you taught the guy how and when to do it and he didn't do it, it's his fault, regardless if you try to accept responsibility as leader.

You mean like 13 seconds? One would assume each player had assignments down 🤷🏻‍♂️.. if not that’s on the head coach. And we have seen coaches and players run out since then. So according to your theory up to them not McClappy ? 

10 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

And some possessions are much longer than others giving the defense adequate time to rest. 

LOL, the Bills controlled time of possession against the Jets.  I can't believe someone is dragging out the "poor exhausted defense excuse"

image.thumb.png.4df1fbb375ba4eb73a6ed1cc223371e8.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BuffaloMatt said:

My concern is with the offense play calls. D gave up 16 points... . . . .

Offense play calls were mostly fine, save for one terrible play in OT. The QB failed to execute. 

13 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Overall really good. But saying someone lined up wrong in the 86 yard run? Your the coach .. that’s on you 

It wasn’t one player lined up wrong. The entire D was misaligned, and they needed to shift. Definitely on the players to make the adjustment. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, balln said:

That’s how they look every season. These busted run fits result in HUGE chunk plays.

End of game was a disgrace. McD keeps team in a prevent / light box D when jets trying to run out the clock while tie it up and then take the lead. My god. Put 6 ppl on the line and run blitz and play coverage against a horrible backup Qb! For the love of god put 5 on the line! 

the jets OL is awful. And against a backup qb. How about the D holds jets to under 10? How about the defensive genius wins a game for us ?

Did you want 5 or 6 on the line?  
We held them to 6 points with 5 minutes left in regulation, then Wilson makes an unbelievable catch. Oh, that Josh thing happened too, again. His defense won the game, until Josh. 

Most of the team did enough to leave NJ with a victory. Most. You know where I’m going with this and I’m right. If Josh can admit to it, it’s ok for you to acknowledge the same. The disgrace is people blaming Coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

LOL, the Bills controlled time of possession against the Jets.  I can't believe someone is dragging out the "poor exhausted defense excuse"

image.thumb.png.4df1fbb375ba4eb73a6ed1cc223371e8.png

I can’t believe this either. The defense being tired has nothing to do with Josh turning the ball over 4 times. Nothing. No need to give excuses for the defense. They weren’t the issue. Josh was. 

12 hours ago, balln said:

against us.

Excuse away Josh all you want, this game was lost by Josh. That Jets offense was helped by Josh and you come up with this crap?  🤬

22 hours ago, Success said:

Sorry for the non-Josh Allen thread.

All offseason, we wondered how the D would be without Frazier, and w/ McD making the calls.  I've never been an x's & o's guy, but what I saw was pretty encouraging..  We were all over the passer, and our line was in the backfield all day.   The corners seemed to be playing a bit more press, and for the most part, locked it down. The only issue was giving up some big runs - but there were just a few of those lapses.

I think our personnel is better, so it's hard to gauge (Groot is clearly taking a next step, Oliver looks better, Floyd is a great addition, etc.).   There is also the consideration that the Jets O-line isn't good.

What did everyone think overall?

IMO it’s hard to tell considering how poor the QB was behind center for the Jets.(after snap 4 that is) I mean wouldn’t everyone be selling out on the run and daring Wilson to beat them?

1 minute ago, Dopey said:

Excuse away Josh all you want, this game was lost by Josh. That Jets offense was helped by Josh and you come up with this crap?  🤬

Josh needs to play smart. He has the intellect for it. It is a question of will, so ultimately it is a character thing. (Unless he is really bad at seeing the field. That would add to the concerns, because for whatever reason, he is ignoring open receivers in the short and mid-range routes.) There is an old saying, "character is destiny."  I believe he will get there, but it's not a certainty and you can't fix ingrained tendencies by flipping a switch. 

14 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Well, like I pointed out somewhere recently, last season we held the Jets to 20 and 12, this season to 16 in regulation.  

We had the 2nd ranked defense in the league.  

5 other teams held them to fewer than 12 points and they were ranked 3rd, 11th, 12th, 24th, and 25th.  

On top of that, three additional teams and one of the same, NE, held them to fewer than 20.  Those teams were ranked 5th, 11th, 15th, and 29th.  

In light of that, I'm not sure that holding essentially the same team to 16 in regulation, with a QB that wasn't even prepared to play, is any significant achievement.  

We'll see, tomorrow will be a notably bigger test.  Fan energy will be at peak so that even favors us.  I expect Allen to rebound in spades but the D to not hold the Raiders to under 20.  

And if we can't stop Jacobs ... 

Did you check to see how many turnovers those team’s QB gifted the Jets while holding them to fewer than 12 points ?  Only on TBD will fans try to excuse away that performance by Josh. This was not on the defense. It was all on Super Josh. 

7 minutes ago, balln said:

It’s a mcd D thread. I’m not saying Josh made it tough. Get bent 

I know it’s a Mcd thread. You actually should say Josh made it tough. No, you should say Josh lost the game AND put the defense in a bad spot. More than once. 
Whatever get bent means. 

16 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Did you check to see how many turnovers those team’s QB gifted the Jets while holding them to fewer than 12 points ?  Only on TBD will fans try to excuse away that performance by Josh. This was not on the defense. It was all on Super Josh. 

I know it’s a Mcd thread. You actually should say Josh made it tough. No, you should say Josh lost the game AND put the defense in a bad spot. More than once. 
Whatever get bent means. 

I’ll comment on whatever relevant I deem. Hence the whole point of a message board.

the D is exactly The same. They lost to

zach Wilson. A really bad qb. They play ok. They give up 3 and really longs. They give up massive run plays. They don’t come up in clutch. 13 seconds is the ultimate example. McD doesn’t have them lined up, doesn’t get out of nickel , even as teams are trying to pound it. 

8 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I didn't say otherwise, I don't think.  I was reacting to the notion that the D played well and all but perfectly when that's simply not true.  But if the D doesn't allow Hall to go 83 on a "misalignment" (that clearly doesn't have anything to do with McD on a side note, ... sarcasm), then it's all a non-issue.  

The point of posting what I did was to show that holding the Jets to 16 in regulation is hardly some feat associated only with top defenses.  

To your point however, last season when we allowed them 12 points, we gifted them none.  So there's that.  As I said, five teams, most ranked nowhwere near our #2 ranking, held them to fewer than 12 points, three times also with no "gifted" turnovers, twice with 1 "gifted" turnover, both of those times in the 4th Qs well after those games were over.  

The Jets breached the 20 point mark in only 6 games last season.  

My point on Allen is that if he hits even one of those INT'd passes for a completion that results in a TD or long gain to set up a TD, then he's a hero that can "thread a needle like noone" and the conversation is completely different.  

Also, it's ironic to blame Allen when the only reason we've had winning records here, and four playoff wins, is entirely because of Allen.  

Anyone thinking that McD would have had this team making the playoffs regularly much less winning the division with the likes of the QBs w've had during the drought era has their reality clouded.  

27 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

27 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I didn't say otherwise, I don't think.  I was reacting to the notion that the D played well and all but perfectly when that's simply not true.  But if the D doesn't allow Hall to go 83 on a "misalignment" (that clearly doesn't have anything to do with McD on a side note, ... sarcasm), then it's all a non-issue.  

The point of posting what I did was to show that holding the Jets to 16 in regulation is hardly some feat associated only with top defenses.  

To your point however, last season when we allowed them 12 points, we gifted them none.  So there's that.  As I said, five teams, most ranked nowhwere near our #2 ranking, held them to fewer than 12 points, three times also with no "gifted" turnovers, twice with 1 "gifted" turnover, both of those times in the 4th Qs well after those games were over.  

The Jets breached the 20 point mark in only 6 games last season.  

My point on Allen is that if he hits even one of those INT'd passes for a completion that results in a TD or long gain to set up a TD, then he's a hero that can "thread a needle like noone" and the conversation is completely different.  

Also, it's ironic to blame Allen when the only reason we've had winning records here, and four playoff wins, is entirely because of Allen.  

Anyone thinking that McD would have had this team making the playoffs regularly much less winning the division with the likes of the QBs w've had during the drought era has their reality clouded.  

Ironic?! He blamed himself for the loss, no matter how many games he’s won for us. Plus, he’s the only reason to Allen apologists. 

6 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Ironic?! He blamed himself for the loss, no matter how many games he’s won for us. Plus, he’s the only reason to Allen apologists. 

What's said and reality aren't always perfectly matching.  

Just sayin'.  

BTW, so far our illustrious defense isn't looking so good further validating the point.  

Edited by PBF81

On 9/16/2023 at 1:33 PM, PBF81 said:

The only problem with that is that the Jets' OL isn't ranked very well by anyone.  Few rankings have it above 20th, most have it in the bottom quartile.

11 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Jimmy? Is that you?

11 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Jimmy who?  

11 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Jimmy Spagnola, a parody account devoted to the genius of Jets' fans.

“That means in the upper quartile of winners were in the top quartile of that upper quartile.”

Jim Irsay

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.