Trevor Lawrence or Josh Allen? Dual threat or pocket passer?

ChronicAndKnuckles

On 9/15/2023 at 6:35 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Put all of your feelings aside. Pretend you’re a GM and you have to build a football team from scratch. Who do you choose to become the leader and face of your franchise? Do you go for the unpredictable generational phenom or the pocket passer w/ longevity? 

Trevor Lawrence is really catching on and by the end of this season I think he will be firmly in the top 5 supplanting the overrated Justin Herbert. He’s not as fast or strong as Josh, but I feel his athleticism is an underrated aspect of his game. He is more than capable of picking up a tough 1st down w/ his legs. Although he threw 4 picks in the Wild Card, he’s usually been great at protecting the ball and letting his playmakers shine. A lot of people compared him to Andrew Luck coming out of the draft and that’s exactly who I think he’ll turn out to be. Andrew Luck w/ a much longer career plus a ring. 

Allen’s stock took a 2nd hit last Sunday dropping his last 2 games and many in the media and this board are wondering if the league has finally figured him out. There’s a lot of speculation that his style of play is just not sustainable, too reckless, and he will hit a wall like Cam Newton did. He continues to throw costly interceptions and take unnecessary hits. Regardless, he is 52-25 in the regular season and has proven he can win games solely on his own. John Brown, Cole Beasley, and Diggs have all posted career years w/ Allen under center so he does make the players around him better. 

If I am building a team I still would pick Allen because when he is fully locked in, he is the best QB in the league bar none. Josh plays off emotion and instincts. He needs to a better job of harnessing his strengths and taking chances only when needed. Talent is is no longer an issue. Diggs, Kincaid, Knox, and Davis are all very solid pieces. 

Ok, doing this in a fair way, I would take Lawrence. Now let me explain if they are both rookies and being drafted in the same year, Lawrence was NFL ready and considered a generational talent at QB while Allen was considered a project. I don’t think any GM takes a rookie Allen over a rookie Lawrence. 

Before you say “Allen of now to a Lawrence of now” that just isn’t fair! Lawrence is just entering year 3 and Allen is in Year 7?  So the only fair comparison would be both coming out as rookies.  As rookies it’s a no brainer and that’s not a knock on Allen. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/15/2023 at 6:35 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Put all of your feelings aside. Pretend you’re a GM and you have to build a football team from scratch. Who do you choose to become the leader and face of your franchise? Do you go for the unpredictable generational phenom or the pocket passer w/ longevity? 

Trevor Lawrence is really catching on and by the end of this season I think he will be firmly in the top 5 supplanting the overrated Justin Herbert. He’s not as fast or strong as Josh, but I feel his athleticism is an underrated aspect of his game. He is more than capable of picking up a tough 1st down w/ his legs. Although he threw 4 picks in the Wild Card, he’s usually been great at protecting the ball and letting his playmakers shine. A lot of people compared him to Andrew Luck coming out of the draft and that’s exactly who I think he’ll turn out to be. Andrew Luck w/ a much longer career plus a ring. 

Allen’s stock took a 2nd hit last Sunday dropping his last 2 games and many in the media and this board are wondering if the league has finally figured him out. There’s a lot of speculation that his style of play is just not sustainable, too reckless, and he will hit a wall like Cam Newton did. He continues to throw costly interceptions and take unnecessary hits. Regardless, he is 52-25 in the regular season and has proven he can win games solely on his own. John Brown, Cole Beasley, and Diggs have all posted career years w/ Allen under center so he does make the players around him better. 

If I am building a team I still would pick Allen because when he is fully locked in, he is the best QB in the league bar none. Josh plays off emotion and instincts. He needs to a better job of harnessing his strengths and taking chances only when needed. Talent is is no longer an issue. Diggs, Kincaid, Knox, and Davis are all very solid pieces. 

i am not a lawrence fan AT ALL but i want a guy with enough brains between his ears not to kill us.  i'll let the mafia decide which guy that is.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, jester43 said:

i am not a lawrence fan AT ALL but i want a guy with enough brains between his ears not to kill us.  i'll let the mafia decide which guy that is.

A bad game and OT loss on the road is a far cry from killing the Bills. Over the last 3 seasons (2020 - 2022) the Bills have gone 37 - 12 in the regular season winning 3 straight AFC East titles.  In the playoffs the Bills have gone 4 - 3 and Allen did not kill them in any of those games and in fact played great in several of them.

• Agree 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.