The Bills Should Inquire About Hunter Renfrow’s Availability.

STL-Bills

Renfrow played 13 offensive snaps on Sunday and was not targeted once. If he’s going to continue to be a non factor for that team, maybe he could be available for a late round pick.

With Meyers getting injured, perhaps Renfrow fills that slot role for the time being. But if he is indeed available, I think we’d be smart to pick him up in a trade.

Josh was Uber successful with Beasley playing the safety valve role. Idk if last nights issues were Josh being too aggressive (probably) or not trusting the guys playing underneath but Renfrow seems like a perfect fix to the latter.

Just a thought. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

31 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Relying on the unholy trinity of Gabe/Sherfield/Harty was perhaps a bad idea. No way.

Gabe is going to bounce back despite stats that show he does not get open, has a ton of drops, and has more 0/1 catch games than big games.

Harty has 67 receptions and has been the league going on 5 years. Sherfield also has 67 receptions and is going on his 6th year. How many players break out in year 6? And these are undrafted type guys not former first rounders hit by injuries. Yet we are told they are better than the McK, Beasley, Brown, Crowder, Sanders, etc who have all actually done something in the league. That is not saying I want those guys back, but dont sell lessor players as an upgrade. Thankfully we have not wasted any draft picks on WR's, what would we do if they had picked George Pickens instead of Elam...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Gabe Davis and a pick for Mike Evans?

Sean McDermott didn't sound thrilled with our WR2 today. 

Bucs are 1-0 and in a terrible division. They will probably be 2-0 after this week. Doubt they are going to start selling as long as they are in contention, which will probably be through the trade deadline.

Josh has more talent on this roster than Mahomes does at this point.  It's up to Dorsey and Josh to use it.  There were plays to be had instead of the turnovers.  Deep ball to Diggs, Josh could have easily ran for the first down.  I think coaching was in his head on that.  Ball to Davis had at least two guys that could have made a first down there.  No idea what Josh was seeing/thinking on that one. Fumbled snap was a concentration issue.  It was probably supposed to be a quickpass at the los cus he looked right just before catching the snap. I think the speed of the game Josh was trying to cheat.  He could have just fell on the ball and took the loss there though.

Honestly, the Jets have a nasty D.  I don't think Josh was prepared for the speed of that game.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Process said:

At this point the issue is Josh and Ken. Not sure adding Renfrow changes anything.

Another medicine WR isn't going to change much. He's better than our WR3 but not by much. Not enough to pull the trigger and give up anything. 

The Bills really needed Zay Flowers in their roster. That guy has speed and explosiveness galore. The Bills have no one like him in the roster. Missed opportunity to draft him. 

Edited by newcam2012

4 hours ago, Process said:

At this point the issue is Josh and Ken. Not sure adding Renfrow changes anything.

It's more Josh and wanting TDs instead of just keeping the chains moving. 

I will give you the play calling at times, but josh has to take what's there and not give games away....

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, STL-Bills said:

Renfrow played 13 offensive snaps on Sunday and was not targeted once. If he’s going to continue to be a non factor for that team, maybe he could be available for a late round pick.

With Meyers getting injured, perhaps Renfrow fills that slot role for the time being. But if he is indeed available, I think we’d be smart to pick him up in a trade.

Josh was Uber successful with Beasley playing the safety valve role. Idk if last nights issues were Josh being too aggressive (probably) or not trusting the guys playing underneath but Renfrow seems like a perfect fix to the latter.

The Raiders going to throw away their $9M signing bonus after one game?

Bills going to take on $6M guaranteed this year?

I like Renfrow. This wouldn't work.

4 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

MCD, Dorsey, and JA are all too stubborn.  

Bean can't draft, but he is good at FA.  

Nonsense.

If this was true, we'd suck a lot more than we do and we have. This team was 13-3 last year. And this year's roster is comparable, perhaps even better.

Yeah, it was a bad game. Blowing off steam is understandable. But do you really think Allen's going to be that bad every week?

And for the eight billionth time, he's a pretty good drafter for where he's drafting. Not great. But solid. 

Edited by Thurman#1

9 hours ago, ngbills said:

Gabe is going to bounce back despite stats that show he does not get open, has a ton of drops, and has more 0/1 catch games than big games.

Harty has 67 receptions and has been the league going on 5 years. Sherfield also has 67 receptions and is going on his 6th year. How many players break out in year 6? And these are undrafted type guys not former first rounders hit by injuries. Yet we are told they are better than the McK, Beasley, Brown, Crowder, Sanders, etc who have all actually done something in the league. That is not saying I want those guys back, but dont sell lessor players as an upgrade. Thankfully we have not wasted any draft picks on WR's, what would we do if they had picked George Pickens instead of Elam...

Gabe doesn't need to bounce back. He had a damn good year last year, even though injuries greatly affected him in three or four games next year.

And Good Lord, you're so desperate to spin things badly that you're willing to simply be completely wrong. You say Gabe "has more 0/1 catch games than big games," and that is complete and utter nonsense. He had zero games with zero catches and one game with one catch, and several big games despite the injury. Four games over 70 yards, for instance.

The way you present Sherfield's stats shows you're not interested in the facts, you're far more interested in presenting things so they fit your narrative, both with your dumb Gabe Davis stats (has more. Sherfield already broke out. Last year. I mean, you're not wrong when you say he has 67 receptions in 5 years. But you somehow left out the fact that last year he had 30 receptions and 417 yards. And he was that productive when he'd only played 58% of their snaps. He already broke out. All he has to do is keep improving.

And plenty of players keep improving in their sixth years, particularly guys who greatly stepped it up with more opportunity than they'd had the year before. James Harrison for one, though few become stars as Harrison did. But nobody expects Sherfield to be a star. Just a good solid player.

Jimmy Smith is another late developer. Brandon Graham. Lorenzo Alexander. AJ Bouye. They're around.

Crowder? Crowder is one of the guys you're using to show guys who we can't upgrade from? McKenzie? Good Lord, dude, your desperation is showing.

6 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

We have the safety valve, his name is Kincaid.  I remember two catches, but he had 4 for 26 yards.  JA needs to target 86.

Yup.

It's very early and he's a rookie. It's hard to imagine them not using him quite a bit as the year goes along and he catches on.

Edited by Thurman#1

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Gabe doesn't need to bounce back. He had a damn good year last year, even though injuries greatly affected him in three or four games next year.

And Good Lord, you're so desperate to spin things badly that you're willing to simply be completely wrong. You say Gabe "has more 0/1 catch games than big games," and that is complete and utter nonsense. He had zero games with zero catches and one game with one catch, and several big games despite the injury. Four games over 70 yards, for instance.

The way you present Sherfield's stats shows you're not interested in the facts, you're far more interested in presenting things so they fit your narrative, both with your dumb Gabe Davis stats (has more. Sherfield already broke out. Last year. I mean, you're not wrong when you say he has 67 receptions in 5 years. But you somehow left out the fact that last year he had 30 receptions and 417 yards. And he was that productive when he'd only played 58% of their snaps. He already broke out. All he has to do is keep improving.

And plenty of players keep improving in their sixth years, particularly guys who greatly stepped it up with more opportunity than they'd had the year before. James Harrison for one, though few become stars as Harrison did. But nobody expects Sherfield to be a star. Just a good solid player.

Jimmy Smith is another late developer. Brandon Graham. Lorenzo Alexander. AJ Bouye. They're around.

Crowder? Crowder is one of the guys you're using to show guys who we can't upgrade from? McKenzie? Good Lord, dude, your desperation is showing.

Yup.

It's very early and he's a rookie. It's hard to imagine them not using him quite a bit as the year goes along and he catches on.

Very low standards you have. Break out with 30 catches? Gave had 4 games with 70 yards? He had 5 or more catches in only 2 games all season. Give most nfl caliber guys reps and they will replicate those stats. 
Crowder had multiple 800 yard seasons and over 67 catches in one season. Mck had over 30 catches last year in what you call equals a breakout year for sherfield. And I am desperate? Makes no sense. You can make an argument you think they are better based on some subjective metric but the stats do say otherwise. And if you think Davis had a good year I don’t know what to say. He was invisible much of the season. He had about 10 games where he was a 2 catch for 30 yard guy like we saw Monday night. That is not good enough especially in an O that throws 40 times. So you’re right I should have said more 0-2 catch games not 0-1. Last season he had 4 games with 2 or less catches and only 1 100 yard game. In a pass heavy offense your #2 has to be better. 

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The Raiders going to throw away their $9M signing bonus after one game?

Bills going to take on $6M guaranteed this year?

I like Renfrow. This wouldn't work.

Nonsense.

If this was true, we'd suck a lot more than we do and we have. This team was 13-3 last year. And this year's roster is comparable, perhaps even better.

Yeah, it was a bad game. Blowing off steam is understandable. But do you really think Allen's going to be that bad every week?

And for the eight billionth time, he's a pretty good drafter for where he's drafting. Not great. But solid. 

1.  This season is a continuation of last season.  The coaching staff has been unable to fix the run D, the turnover machine known as JA.  Going 13-3 is meaningless if you can't win in the playoffs.  JA cost us 2 big regular season games, tried to give away the Dolphins game, and suceed in being terrible vs. the Bengals.  The coaching staff and offense have looked horrid through preseason, and still do.  

2.  Bean IS a terrible drafter.  Let's see, trading the 10th pick (Mahomes) for Tre White.  But at least we got Phillip Rivers, I mean, Josh Allen.  Yeah, early playoff exits every year.  He has drafted zero impact players on the DL, drafted a 1st round CB who can't start: all of these picks made when MUCH better players were available because Bean targets positions rather than the BPA.  

20 hours ago, STL-Bills said:

The issue is not we need another WR...the issue is the fundamental philosophy of Dorsey's offense is to push the ball deep downfield.  You can see it on every one of Josh's drop backs...they are mostly deep drops where the early reads are all downfield which means the short stuff like Hunter would run are later in his progression of reads and he more often than not is going to have thrown the ball or run before he gets to those later reads.

We need a lot more short drops and quick throws.  This team has been obsessed with Allens big arm and cannon being able to do things other QB's could never do.  But, they need to start treating Allen like a QB more than just some heavy artillery weapon.  We have plenty of guys who can attack the short read zones like Cole did, and that was difference.  Daboll infused Cole into the game plan and designed quick reads to him.  Dorsey simply sucks at doing this last year and so far this first week.  

I love seeing Allen get chunk plays, but I am sick of seeing him always taking deep drops with the deeper routes always the early reads.  I want to see a lot more quick strike attacking, and once they do, it will significantly open up the deep ball more and give Allen higher percentage opportunities downfield.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.