Anyone talking about our run D?

Skyline Chili

We held the Jets to 6 points with 5 minutes to go. 6 points! you have to win that game. We would have won that game, if not for Josh making bone headed plays.

I created a Josh Allen excuse thread right after the game. This seems to be an excuse thread, for Josh.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Bleedingreennc said:

A great run defense isn't needed to win a SB? I would figure a team facing Zach Wilson would be able to stop the run considering that dude can't pass worth *****. I would be stacking the line against him. So yes, a great run defense is necessary to win a SB. It forces the other team to throw more and make more mistakes.

I can kind of see both sides…maybe people are used to the chiefs who can’t run the football against a light box..  it’s a lot more nuanced than ‘oh you know they’re gonna run it should be easy to stop’ though too.  There’s a lot of different ways a running play can be presented.  Bills gave up some big runs last night but that’s gonna happen every now and then when a team is hammering the run.  They also make plenty of huge stops in the backfield too 

• Like (+1) 1

What's new with McD defense? New Orleans 2017, Colts 2020, Patriots 2021. I'm too pissed off to look up the exact dates but in those games McD defense got routed for over 200 yards rushing each time if my memory is correct. 

Then the D will look amazing like against the Ravens in the playoffs and Cowboyson Thanksgiving.

It's a dam mystery. 

26 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Agreed.

Hall was taking it all the way the the end zone but he got winded.

Benford didn't run out of gas, and came from behind to catch him.  

Joe Marino texted, right after the run, this:  "Bills not lined up correctly on that long run from Hall.  Bernard has to get the DL to shift.  This is that communication piece."

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Joe Marino texted, right after the run, this:  "Bills not lined up correctly on that long run from Hall.  Bernard has to get the DL to shift.  This is that communication piece."

I can't remember the down and distance on that long run. 

How many did we have in the box? Seems like we were more lined up to do everything to stop a first-down run, unafraid of Wilson throwing, and that as soon as Hall got past the line he was gone.

9 hours ago, Lost said:

Undersized MLB for starters and if the RB breaks through the LOS and gets to the outside our safeties are too slow.

I don't think I heard Micah Hyde's name called all night, and Poyer was usually trailing the ball carrier so we got a good look at the back of his jersey.

But the problem was bad gap choices by the MLB and safeties on run support.  Shades of Edmunds...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

I don't think I heard Micah Hyde's name called all night, and Poyer was usually trailing the ball carrier so we got a good look at the back of his jersey.

But the problem was bad gap choices by the MLB and safeties on run support.  Shades of Edmunds...

Or maybe we (shock!) actually missed Edmunds?

Seems to me that the big runs - particularly Hall's from deep in Jets territory - happened when everyone was pursuing the ball and not keeping contain. Edmunds was big, fast, not ultra aggressive, and in a weird way maybe complemented the playmakers (Rousseau, Milano, Von if he's playing, Poyer/Hyde) that we do have.

Unpopular opinion I know ...

EDIT: so while I'm at it with the unpopular opinions ... Jets deep within their own territory. Zach Wilson at QB. I'm not too concerned about them taking it 90+ yards for a TD! The focus shouldn't just be on stopping them from getting the 1st down. A first down hurts and you lose the advantage of the superb field position. But it's hardly a killer. A killer is a big play from a generally inept (with Zach) offense, an offense that really seems incapable of engineering a sustained drive of 90 yards, or even 60 yards to get in FG position. Leslie Frazier wouldn't have let this happen! (Haha)

Edited by The Frankish Reich

It’s been an issue for 5 years. Why bother. It’s not going to change. This team is the same thing constantly. A physical team is going to embarrass us in the same way over and over. We tried replacing our MLB with backups that weren’t even good enough to see the field last year. I actually liked some of the things the defense did last night but this is who we are. If a team gets through the first level on the ground, they are going a long way.

11 hours ago, Skyline Chili said:

If so, please merge.  Rodgers was out of the game, Wilson no threat, and they seemed to run effectively.  Why?

Because it's Breece "Freaking" Hall and Delvin Cook. Delvin Cook is one if the best RB's in Football and Breece is arguably THE best RB is football. When Breece played last year before getting hurt, EVERYONE has trouble stopping him. He is an Elite back with incredible field vision, he is extremely fast, and extremely shifty. That's why! SMFH! 

Posts like these are just another way of saying I don't know jack about football without saying I don't know jack about football. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by BigPappy

4 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Benford didn't run out of gas, and came from behind to catch him.  

Didn't need to shift. Backers bumped. We were gapped out. One missed tackle and poor pursuit angles by third level defenders was the issue.

Does anyone realize that outside of the 2 runs by Hall (83 and 19), the Jets averaged like 2 yards per carry?  

I get no one likes to see the big runs, but at the same time overall the defense did pretty good against the run almost the entirety of the game with exception to 2 plays.  I am not so much concerned about the run D, more so than I am about MLB which IMHO will be stabilized some once Kirskey gets elevated to roster and takes over the starting MIKE spot, which I expect to be inside the next few weeks at worst.  

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Does anyone realize that outside of the 2 runs by Hall (83 and 19), the Jets averaged like 2 yards per carry?  

I get no one likes to see the big runs, but at the same time overall the defense did pretty good against the run almost the entirety of the game with exception to 2 plays.  I am not so much concerned about the run D, more so than I am about MLB which IMHO will be stabilized some once Kirskey gets elevated to roster and takes over the starting MIKE spot, which I expect to be inside the next few weeks at worst.  

But other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

But other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

The big run was a one-off misalignment caused by Bernard's call. 20 yard runs can happen in any game against any team. A mistake is a mistake and you hate to see it but it's also a very correctable thing not completely tied to the general specifics of "run defense"

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Or maybe we (shock!) actually missed Edmunds?

Seems to me that the big runs - particularly Hall's from deep in Jets territory - happened when everyone was pursuing the ball and not keeping contain. Edmunds was big, fast, not ultra aggressive, and in a weird way maybe complemented the playmakers (Rousseau, Milano, Von if he's playing, Poyer/Hyde) that we do have.

Unpopular opinion I know ...

EDIT: so while I'm at it with the unpopular opinions ... Jets deep within their own territory. Zach Wilson at QB. I'm not too concerned about them taking it 90+ yards for a TD! The focus shouldn't just be on stopping them from getting the 1st down. A first down hurts and you lose the advantage of the superb field position. But it's hardly a killer. A killer is a big play from a generally inept (with Zach) offense, an offense that really seems incapable of engineering a sustained drive of 90 yards, or even 60 yards to get in FG position. Leslie Frazier wouldn't have let this happen! (Haha)

Time and again, Edmunds would attack the line, and go into the wrong gap, leaving the middle of the field open and leaving it up to the safeties to prevent a big play.  When he wasn't attacking, what he could do well was eat up space.  He was huge and fast, and he could cut off big runs before they got big.

7 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I think our D did awesome. They held the Jets to 16 points, even though we gifted them 4 turnovers.

That's fantastic, despite any other issues. If anything, this game gave me confidence in that area. 

Zach Wilson had one really bad pass, and Milano intercepted it.  But Wilson had lots of really good fastballs on target.  I am not anticipating the Jets falling apart without Rodgers.  Their D is simply outstanding.  And considering how good that Jets D is, the Bills offense did quite well at least in the first half.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.