The Josh Allen excuse thread…

Dopey

There are no excuses for what he did and moreso for this constant mindset that he doesn't care what the game situation is, he is determined to blow the other team out.

Same mindset that almost cost us the Dolphin playoff game. When the other team has literally no offense going on, there is no reason to give them extra chances by turning it over.

Take the easy win and let the defense play. Stop taking needless risks.

It's one thing if it's like 4th and 20 with 15 seconds left and you need a TD...then OK,he is trying to make something happen. This is him trying to say "F the game situation, I am going to take over this game". 

Dude...we get it, it's addicting to crush teams the way you have for years and years now. But sometimes it's more important to make sure you win first and foremost.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

He certainly had the discipline and will on the 11 play scoring drive, the second 11 play scoring drive, the 9 play scoring drive, and then the next 9 play scoring drive. So he’s proved he can be patient and take what’s given, especially against a dominant defense that demands you have to be patient and take what’s given. 

The maddening thing about Allen is why he gets away from it and insists on playing hero ball. Wish we had the answer. 

And those drives could only barely answer for the lack of discipline on the four turnovers. The games on the line, fall on the fumble and cover up and not think an extra yard makes a damn bit of difference. On a key drive when you needed points, take the easy pass and don't rifle into tight coverage. It's football IQ and I think he just lacks it, especially when things get hairy. He has regressed under Dorsey. Josh listened to Daboll and was his best version under Daboll. Left to his own instincts he gets reckless. All the talk of being better and protecting the ball this year went crackerdogs with 4 turnovers the first time he got rattled. Josh needs hard coaching and it feels like he has gotten too big to listen. 

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Is Josh Allen really just Ryan Fitzpatrick with moderately better decision making and infinitely better physical gifts?

Josh doesn’t process the game like Fitz and Fitz could only dream of having Allen’s physical gifts. That said, Fitz wasn’t above playing a little hero ball himself from time to time. 

• Agree 1

Haven't read every page, is there anyone that actually believe it wasn't Allen's fault?

What I don't understand is why he changed from the first half. He did just fine in the first half, nothing spectacular, but what he was doing was working. Then he came out in the second half and it's like he wanted to get that one score that would have put them over the top and make the game out of reach. He stopped taking what was there.

2 hours ago, Realist said:

Haven't read every page, is there anyone that actually believe it wasn't Allen's fault?

What I don't understand is why he changed from the first half. He did just fine in the first half, nothing spectacular, but what he was doing was working. Then he came out in the second half and it's like he wanted to get that one score that would have put them over the top and make the game out of reach. He stopped taking what was there.

I suspect the Jets changed what they were doing and took away most of the short stuff.

I have no excuse for Josh’s play on Monday night.  I also haven’t read all this thread, so the conversation has probably spin off topic and by now. But just wanted to say that perhaps the most depressing thing about the Monday night blow up was ..Josh has almost always been the best player on the field in the prime time games.  He always just finds that extra something to lift the team and will them to a score.  But Monday, he wasn’t.  He was one of the worst players on the field and the reason we lost.  I thought we could lose the game, going in to it.  But never, in a million years, would I have thought Josh would be the reason we lost the game.  

This is maybe the only game I’ve seen that, other than perhaps his rookie year?  He just looked uncharacteristically…bad.  So, perhaps not an excuse but an expectation… he will play better. Monday was a complete crap fest, I think his record shows that he’ll rebound and not let this one game define the season. 

I believe precedent is important in almost every aspect of life.  And I believe that it's most important in sports.  It's rare you see something that hasn't happened before.  Allen had a really bad day at the office Monday night particularly in the 2nd half.  I would be concerned if we had never seen HOF level, elite QB's S##t the bed in week one games before.  But guess what, we have and I didn't have to look to far to find a couple of examples.  In fact I got them off the top of my head:

Living in Cincy you can't not be aware of all things Joe Cool and here are his last two season openers:

2022:  33 of 53 for 338 yards with 2 TD's & 4 INT's including a pick 6 & 1 lost fumble.  5 total TO's in an OT loss.

2023:  14 of 31 for 82 yards with no TD's or TO's.  No TO 's is good but 82 yards on 31 attempts!  Oh and a 24 - 3 blowout loss.

How about the GOAT, Tom Brady? I'm sure Bills fans remember this opening day game:

14 of 28 for 123 yards(!) with no TD's and 4 INT's including a pick 6 in a 31 - 0 blowout loss to the Bills.  The Pats went on to win the Super Bowl and the Bills had a 6 - 10 record.

Taking a quick look at Jim Kelly he played pretty well in week one but he and the Bills laid a big egg in a week 2 game against division rival Miami in 1990:

14 of 23 for 140 yards with no TD's & 1 INT & 1 lost fumble.  The Bills lost that game 30 - 7 and trailed 30 - 0 going into the 4th.

So sure if Allen keeps playing crappy like he did against the Jets, which boast a superb defense, then we might as well get used to having our Sunday's back and enjoying the Fall foliage.  But I suspect people are way overreacting to this game and Allen & the Bills will be just fine going forward.

• Thank you (+1) 1

ONE game...ONE friggin' game, and the Negative Nellies come out in full force.

Was it a disappointing performance by Allen? Yes

Did the special teams lose the game? Sure

Have we (as Bills fans) waited for a franchise QB for 20+ years? Yes

Do we have a QB right now who has won us many more games than he lost for us? Yes

Can't wait to see how this thread develops over the season.  Mega posts when we lose...silence when we win.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

ONE game...ONE friggin' game, and the Negative Nellies come out in full force.

Was it a disappointing performance by Allen? Yes

Did the special teams lose the game? Sure

Have we (as Bills fans) waited for a franchise QB for 20+ years? Yes

Do we have a QB right now who has won us many more games than he lost for us? Yes

Can't wait to see how this thread develops over the season.  Mega posts when we lose...silence when we win.

As extreme as this negative reaction has been the perception on Josh by Bills fans is more accurate than before the Jets game. People that are saying we should trade him are just as ridiculous as the ones who wouldn't let you be critical of him.  He is fallible and it's ok to discuss his faults while still enjoying what he does. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/11/2023 at 11:18 PM, Dopey said:

I’m betting we’ll get some doozies. 

Let’s hear it. Dorsey, Mcd, defense. 

I profusely apologize for my reaction to your post @Dopeyon Monday night... I was incredibly angry long before we eventually lost and I broke my rule of posting after a loss. I should not have done it and I very much regret it. I'm sorry.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I profusely apologize for my reaction to your post @Dopeyon Monday night... I was incredibly angry long before we eventually lost and I broke my rule of posting after a loss. I should not have done it and I very much regret it. I'm sorry.

All good. I don't take anything here personally. We are all passionate about our Bills. Let's move on to the Raiders game. :beer:

GO BILLS!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, KeLLy1278 said:

So Allen played fine to you.  It’s not realistic to expect more from him?  

I already apologized to him for my angry response earlier... I was steaming long before the Jets won the game and I was just apoplectic. Everyone could see that Josh lost the game and I broke my own rule commenting right after a loss, especially after a big loss.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.