SNF Cowboys at Giants

Beck Water

Just now, Warcodered said:

I wouldn't really count on it keeping him at bay guy is just ridiculous, plus like what just happened keying in on him opens things for other guys on the D-line.

Nobody is beating a 3 man block and that last sack was a coverage sack. Jones cant just stand their with the ball.  

The old school Joe Gibbs max protect with two deep routes would have worked there, if you get picked so what..Dallas would have took a knee.

13 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

(here near the 2 minute warning in the first half)

Jones just threw a ball, in the middle, that was almost intercepted by 3 people.

So where the question used to be "why did they pay Jones?"  Because they honestly could not have not known how bad he is, with no future.

Now the question seems to be "why did we pay somebody we KNEW was bad?"  Because of selling tickets, maybe?  I mean,  they could have gotten this level of performance from a rookie.  Or Marcus mariotta.  Or Jacoby Brisset.  Or even Baker mayfield.   It wasnt supply and demand.   And it wasnt that they genuinely thought Jones was far better than those journeymen.   So, what was it?

There is no future for Jones, imo.   He isnt stealing money.   The Giants brass are giving away the franchise's money.

The Giants management learned nothing about the QB position when they were with the Bills.  When the Bills made the playoffs in 2017 Beane & McDermott realized they would be spinning their wheels with Tyrod & traded him with no QB on the roster other than Peterman and then McCarron.  They had no idea if they'd get a franchise QB in the draft, but they knew better than go any further with Tyrod.  Meanwhile the Giants re-signed Jones this off-season to a contract worthy of a guy who can get you in the playoffs every year ignoring the fluke playoff appearance & playoff victory before playing against Philadelphia like the 2017 Bills played in Jacksonville.  I thought the Giants were crazy to give Daniel Jones that much money at the time & Jones has done nothing tonight to prove me wrong.  

Just now, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

The 9/11 tribute before the game was classy but I don’t like how they’re using the game to actually recreate the disaster.

I'm not quite sure why 9/11 is talked about like this here.  I haven't been here that long but I would have thought a bunch of fans who root for a team in NY would leave the bad sarcasm and unfunny jokes about it alone.  I'm very confused.

2 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The Giants management learned nothing about the QB position when they were with the Bills.  When the Bills made the playoffs in 2017 Beane & McDermott realized they would be spinning their wheels with Tyrod & traded him with no QB on the roster other than Peterman and then McCarron.  They had no idea if they'd get a franchise QB in the draft, but they knew better than go any further with Tyrod.  Meanwhile the Giants re-signed Jones this off-season to a contract worthy of a guy who can get you in the playoffs every year ignoring the fluke playoff appearance & playoff victory before playing against Philadelphia like the 2017 Bills played in Jacksonville.  I thought the Giants were crazy to give Daniel Jones that much money at the time & Jones has done nothing tonight to prove me wrong.  

I think you are way overreacting to a week 1 game in which the giants are severely out matched up front on offfense.

Its a long season

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Nobody is beating a 3 man block and that last sack was a coverage sack. Jones cant just stand their with the ball.  

The old school Joe Gibbs max protect with two deep routes would have worked there, if you get picked so what..Dallas would have took a knee.

You use three guys to block one buy someone else is getting there, and deep routes take longer to develop not mention if they're covering it anyway.

2 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

I think you are way overreacting to a week 1 game in which the giants are severely out matched up front on offfense.

Its a long season

I've seen Daniel Jones play for 4 seasons & today.  It's a long period of mediocrity.  I'm in Giants territory, so I see them play more than any team except the Bills.  

5 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I thought the same about the Jones contract, but as far as tonight - I think the folks who point to this being a kind of preseason game may have something.

A number of good QB around the league were “off” this week - Mahomes vs. the Lions, Goff though he won that game, I didn’t see the Bengals Browns game but looking at the box score Burrows was bad….the only QB who really “went off” so far this week afaik was Tua.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

I'm not quite sure why 9/11 is talked about like this here.  I haven't been here that long but I would have thought a bunch of fans who root for a team in NY would leave the bad sarcasm and unfunny jokes about it alone.  I'm very confused.

1.  I use gallows humor to engage with the world.  It’s fine to have different senses of humor but I think it should be clear that hyperbolizing the Giants play in this game was the subject of my joke.

2.  It’s 22 years ago now.  There’s a great joke in Animal House about the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor.  Time passes and things that happened are just things that happened.

1 minute ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

1.  I use gallows humor to engage with the world.  It’s fine to have different senses of humor but I think it should be clear that hyperbolizing the Giants play in this game was the subject of my joke.

2.  It’s 22 years ago now.  There’s a great joke in Animal House about the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor.  Time passes and things that happened are just things that happened.

well hey that's your choice

3 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Dude the Germans didn’t bomb Pearl Harbor.  That was the Japanese.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

yeah.

but i'm saying "if (IF) we assume they arent stupid, then . . . why?"

was it ownership meddling?  Was it the need to sell tickets because fans would give Jones a longer leash than they would Mariota or Brisset or Teddy Bridgewater?  

Or maybe its the most clever tank-job ever (depending on how easy it is to move on from Jones, based on contract structure)

maybe i'm playing 4d chess by myself here.  But i just have a hard time believing they really thought Jones was actually worth that money.

I mean, the Ravens KNOW that Lamar isnt worth that money.  But the Ravens accurately realized that they could not do better on the market.

Edited by maddenboy

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I thought the same about the Jones contract, but as far as tonight - I think the folks who point to this being a kind of preseason game may have something.

A number of good QB around the league were “off” this week - Mahomes vs. the Lions, Goff though he won that game, I didn’t see the Bengals Browns game but looking at the box score Burrows was bad….the only QB who really “went off” so far this week afaik was Tua.

Mahomes could afford to have an off weak against an NFC opponent, Burrow and Daniel Jones both have/had games against not just conference but division opponents these were important games.

12 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Does that mean I can’t make jokes about 9/11 meaning all the Jets get grounded?

12 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Its a long season

It’s a valid point that the first game doesn’t necessarily reflect how the team will play.  In 2021 the Bills got their butts whupped in Pittsburgh then won the next 4.

(I would of course prefer for us to do the butt whipping tomorrow

2 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

That was the joke.  Did you not see Animal House?

and even if you didnt, is this the first time you have ever seen the reference? 

Myself, i have never watched an entire episode of Seinfeld.  But i do get the references that have made it into the mainstream.  there's like millions.

Edited by maddenboy

2 minutes ago, wppete said:

Hopefully tomorrow night the NJ home team in the same stadium takes a beating like the Giants are taking right now. 

That would be good

Just now, DapperCam said:

Pan on the crowd. I’m curious who would stick around in the rain for this beat down.

Stefon Diggs, evidently. 

Edited by Beck Water

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.