Bernard, Torrence and Benford all officially starters

Process

Can I just ask… what the heck is with Torrence stabbing / tomahawk chopping the air a second before the snap? That is incredibly annoying to see on-screen and had me worried about false starts through the game… but… it’s allowed? Didn’t notice that in the preseason games. It kinda gives away the snap count.

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, UConn James said:

Can I just ask… what the heck is with Torrence stabbing / tomahawk chopping the air a second before the snap? That is incredibly annoying to see on-screen and had me worried about false starts through the game… but… it’s allowed? Didn’t notice that in the preseason games. It kinda gives away the snap count.

He is signaling to the center to snap the ball.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, UConn James said:

This is pretty common around the league and in football. The center has a tougher job presnap, often helping the QB direct traffic and setting protections. Giving the snap count responsibility to the guard allows for them to focus more on the actual snap being on target, as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

We can talk about Bernard etc, but by far the most impactful of all is Torrence.  This guy is a rookie and plays like an All-Pro.  He has totally anchored the right side of the line both run and pass-wise and is well beyond his years with football understanding.  He’s never physically overwhelmed thus far and has been a rock, always communicating etc.  he makes the entire right side better.  Kudos to him. Totally steal of a pick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Scott law is very “offensive weapons “ focused when it comes to the draft

And OL focused.  He realizes the importance of blocking.  

From my experience reading Scott’s posts, I would best describe his feelings as:  the bills have invested too much into the defense and the defense always fails us in the playoffs (he’s not wrong).  We have Josh Allen, so stop investing so much into the D and give Josh what he needs to become the best he can be.   

Just now, NewEra said:

From my experience reading Scott’s posts, I would best describe his feelings as:  the bills have invested too much into the defense and the defense always fails us in the playoffs (he’s not wrong).  We have Josh Allen, so stop investing so much into the D and give Josh what he needs to become the best he can be.   

I don’t necessarily agree that he is as focussed about the OL part..I can’t recall him pushing any OL pick ..

Personally I think they have way under invested in OL in the draft…so if I am selling him short here then I will give him an apology…

I can’t argue about the D line though … they have over invested …

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I don’t necessarily agree that he is as focussed about the OL part..I can’t recall him pushing any OL pick ..

Personally I think they have way under invested in OL in the draft…so if I am selling him short here then I will give him an apology…

I meant playmaker AND OL focused.  Invest in offense over defense.  Whatever can help Josh become even better

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/9/2023 at 12:37 PM, ScottLaw said:

No, Im suggesting they ***** up with a wasted pick in Bernard based on what we’ve seen…. But he was a McD pick and a 3rd rounder at hat so they are forcing the issue. 

Just thought I’d Bump this

You’re welcome

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

So then everyone must be happy with the way we drafted this year

7 hours ago, Aurelius said:

We can talk about Bernard etc, but by far the most impactful of all is Torrence.  This guy is a rookie and plays like an All-Pro.  He has totally anchored the right side of the line both run and pass-wise and is well beyond his years with football understanding.  He’s never physically overwhelmed thus far and has been a rock, always communicating etc.  he makes the entire right side better.  Kudos to him. Totally steal of a pick.

Remember when people actually thought it might be sensible to play career backup Ryan Bates over him because he "wasn't terrible last season?" Fun times. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Remember when people actually thought it might be sensible to play career backup Ryan Bates over him because he "wasn't terrible last season?" Fun times. 

Time has a tendency to march on and change perspective. It really wasn't that long ago that a few very wise and sensible posters here would have passed on Torrence all together because they were skeptical about his fit here.

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

That frame of mind is cool and all, but he makes snap judgements on players like Bernard with zero data to back up what he's saying. Dude had played one game lol

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I’m definitely the biggest Ryan Bates supporter here. My defense of Bates was mostly based on the criticism he was receiving. He can start on most OLs. If cut tomorrow he’d be signed and starting somewhere else immediately.

That said, Torrence is obviously a superior talent and player. A future all pro OG. He’ll likely be doing it next to Ryan Bates in a year or 2.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m definitely the biggest Ryan Bates supporter here. My defense of Bates was mostly based on the criticism he was receiving. He can start on most OLs. If cut tomorrow he’d be signed and starting somewhere else immediately.

That said, Torrence is obviously a superior talent and player. A future all pro OG. He’ll likely be doing it next to Ryan Bates in a year or 2.

Yeah, I see Bates as the starting center next year.

6 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

they have.

if we look at the line now, new contract dawkins (since mcbean took over), FA signing Mcgovern, FA signing Morse, Pick O'hamstrings, pick brown.

im still shell shocked from brown's glass back year last season, but what we are seeing out there right now is mcbean getting the horses and spending the resources perhaps later than i'd like, but still spending them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.