RIP Jimmy Buffett, 76

ExiledInIllinois

I wasn't a follower, but some great tunes for sure. My lasting memory will be going to an aquarium when my kids were young on the other side of the Delaware from Philadelphia and there was a parking lot next door filled with RV's. Found out later it was for a Jimmy Buffet concert. He brought a lot of joy to a lot of people and that's a life well led in my book. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Bummer.  Celeb deaths I'm usually indifferent about, but this one hurts.  I knew he had health issues recently, but he was otherwise touring until the end.  He lived one hell of a life & favorably impacted the lives of many millions.  Thank you Jimmy & RIP.

• Like (+1) 4

Stood up for  friend's wedding  near DC. Were in tuxes in the elevator in he hotel. In comes aeveral guys in Hawaiian shirts and jean shorts. We were going to the garage to go to the church. The elevator stops at the lobby and a bunch of people are there, The guys get off. It was Jimmy Buffet and his band. They were appearing at Merriweather Post, which was near the hotel in Columbia ,Maryland.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Ahh, the memories. Among the awkward ones, shortly after our wedding my mother-in-law was in town visiting. She was not originally from the US, English was her 3rd language and she lived life in a very formal manner.  SO, there I am sitting with her in the living room when Why Don’t We Get Drunk and Screw comes on. My wife still chuckles about me trying to talk and keep her engaged for the next 3-4 minutes so she doesn’t realize what we are listening to. Ahhh, the good old days!  😂 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 8

I just heard the sad news, and I'm crushed.

I've been a huge Parrothead since the 80's and know that no other artist has had a greater influence on my life than him. His music and books were the biggest source of escapism on me, and I know damn well that I wouldn't now be living in the South Pacific if it weren't for his influence. 

That said, my wife and I are currently holidaying on the island of Aitutaki,  which I'm sure Jimmy B would have loved.  Turquoise water, coral sands, Bonefish and a history of seaplanes.

We'll be heading out to the Boat Shed Bar in a few minutes to proudly raise our glasses high in his honour.  I'll happily buy the next round if any of you care to join us.

Thank you Jimmy for bringing so much joy and magic to my life. I will always be indebted to you.

God bless. 

"Well now if I ever live to be an old man
I'm gonna sail down to Martinique
I'm gonna buy me a sweat-stained Bogart suit
And an African parakeet
And then I'll sit him on my shoulder
And open up my trusty old mind
I gonna teach him how to cuss, teach him how to fuss
And pull the cork out of a bottle of wine
"

Edited by Bad Things
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Augie said:

Ahh, the memories. Among the awkward ones, shortly after our wedding my mother-in-law was in town visiting. She was not originally from the US, English was her 3rd language and she lived life in a very formal manner.  SO, there I am sitting with her in the living room when Why Don’t We Get Drunk and Screw comes on. My wife still chuckles about me trying to talk and keep her engaged for the next 3-4 minutes so she doesn’t realize what we are listening to. Ahhh, the good old days!  😂 

I had a very similar experience with my mother in law!  Classic!

"Buffett, 76, had Merkel cell cancer, according to the statement, which was posted after initial news of his death emerged Saturday. The statement also disclosed where the “Margaritaville” singer died: at his home in Sag Harbor, New York, near the Hamptons."

"Merkel cell carcinoma, as it's known in medical literature, is very rare and tends to spread quickly, including to parts of the body beyond the skin, according to the federal National Cancer Institute and the Mayo Clinic. Risk factors include a lot of sun exposure, a weakened immune system, a history of other cancers, and being light-skinned and over 50."

https://baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2023/09/03/jimmy-buffett-died-after-a-four-year-fight-with-a-rare-form-of-skin-cancer--his-website-says

• Sad 2

45 minutes ago, T&C said:

"Buffett, 76, had Merkel cell cancer, according to the statement, which was posted after initial news of his death emerged Saturday. The statement also disclosed where the “Margaritaville” singer died: at his home in Sag Harbor, New York, near the Hamptons."

"Merkel cell carcinoma, as it's known in medical literature, is very rare and tends to spread quickly, including to parts of the body beyond the skin, according to the federal National Cancer Institute and the Mayo Clinic. Risk factors include a lot of sun exposure, a weakened immune system, a history of other cancers, and being light-skinned and over 50."

https://baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2023/09/03/jimmy-buffett-died-after-a-four-year-fight-with-a-rare-form-of-skin-cancer--his-website-says

This is the same evil schitt that killed my brother 4 years ago.  (Almost to the day)

• Sad 3

Loved Jimmy a whole lot.

This one hit hard.

There's maybe not a single pop culture figure whose life I would more have wanted to live than Jimmy's. Flying sea planes, sailing boats, island hopping, playing music that brought joy to millions, writing books, and generally being a modern day pirate and scalliwag. What a life he led.

He's somewhere on the ocean now,
the place he oughta be

with one hand on starboard rail,

he's wavin' back at me.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.