The Bills will have the highest scoring NFL offense in '23

Inigo Montoya

I'm telling ya, we'll have a run game and massive improvement at WR , McKenzie just got cut from a team with little WR talent and he was our 3. Harty,Sherfield and Shakir are all upgrades. Kincaid is a match up nightmare. Davis is healthy, big playmaker. Cook will Cook. Defenses will be on their toes all day with all the versatility we can hit them with this year

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Can they invite Arthur Moats to be a guest on sideline?  He can give pep talk on tackling QB.

Moats was a very good tackler and tackling is a priority of Coach McD.

Nah, just have him show this to Milano before the game.  He’ll come in like a heat seeking missile.  I believe Fare was about 40 at that point too.

My prediction for Aaron Darkness Retreat Wacky Tabacky Roger’s…

13 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Defenses are going to have to make some tough choices when it it comes to defending this offense and a more experienced Ken Dorsey should be able to take advantage of that.

That will be pivotal.  

In games vs. the Jets for example, and in key situations generally speaking otherwise, if Dorsey and Allen can discipline themselves to take advantage of quickly developing high-percentage plays, this offense has the potential to be unstoppable.  

IMO we see a modern version of Air-Coryell, with both Diggs and Davis well over 1,000.  

I'm expecting us to shatter our franchise record of 31.3 PPG. (2020)  Thinking add another 3+ PPG.  So in the 550-570 range. 

At the same time, I also expect our defense to be about the same as it was in 2020 as well, which was ranked 16th in scoring and 14th in yards, possibly somewhat worse.  

The D won't matter all that much at that point however.  As the Italian race car driver in the original Death Race 2000 says before the race begins, he yanks off his rear view mirror and says, "what's behind you makes no difference." 

If Dorsey can't get that done however, or very close to that, then it's time to look for a new OC.  

Edited by PBF81

11 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Diigs is fine and had 1500 yards last season.  In what universe has he dropped off?

VW82  has a valid point though. The list of receivers to show a dramatic drop off at the age of 30 is quite long. Diggs surprised me last year by having a career year in a lot of regards after having a drop in production the year before. If I had to bet, Diggs numbers will be closer to 2021 then anything we saw in '20 and '22. But even if he can put up '21 numbers the Bills will be fine. 

The league used to talk about the RB drop off at the age of 30. That has switched to WR's now, I am guessing because of all the extra targets they see in today's pass happy league. And now teams don't even see value in RB's after the age of 26. 

10 hours ago, julian said:

When 17 is your QB , potential highest scoring offense will always be a reality.

Yep, they've actually had the actual highest scoring offense in Bills history two of the last three seasons. Even in 2020 without the extra game, but offense was up all around due to covid that year. 

We have seen it in spurts. Look at the first two games of last season. The two games to end the 2021 postseason. Or the beginning and end of the 2020 season. They just need more consistency. They have struggled each of the last three seasons starting around Halloween and going into Thanksgiving. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

Don't see any evidence of a change in strategy.

Their picking offense has been specifically mentioned as a result of what was left when they picked. Which it virtually always is.

The focus on this team is the offense and the defense and the STs. Just like always.

Their concerns seem to have been OL, pass catcher, DL and pass rush in particular, and youth at safety and LB. And replacing Singletary with more of a banger.

Edited by Thurman#1

if we improve and win it all, it will because of two things

1) pass rush.  we have two guys who did not play at the end of last year (floyd and von).  if they are out there in the playoffs, it's a different story.  other guys have to step up and be healthy and improve, but really it's down to those two guys.

2) being able to run w backs and pass to people other than wrs (namely diggs and davis), particularly out of 2 TE sets.  the EP O is built with this in mind, and we haven't had a shadow of it even once since josh got here.  w some bigger backs, guys like cook becoming actual weapons, and two TEs that present match up problems (obviously im counting on better interior blocking, but it just has to be ok or good, anything more is a bonus).  throw in the allen and diggs combo, and you have a match up nightmare like the 2007 pats, there just aren't defenses out there that can handle that.

• Like (+1) 1

I loved Inigo in the movie, and I love Inigo's optimism here.

But, yikes, to predict we'll crush KC's offensive output is a bit much.  A lot will have to go right for that to happen.  

Although I have to agree that, on paper, this offense does look to be better than last year's edition.  To me, the key is the OL.  If it's just average this year (and we avoid serious injuries to key players), we'll score a ton of points. 

Fingers crossed.  

• Like (+1) 1

Here is the problem pundits have. 

the perceived weakness of the Bills O is

1- Spencer Brown at RT

2- WR not named Diggs

3- Running game 

We added guards, which will help. But if Spencer Brown can’t improve it may be a problem that hurts the entire O. 

We added Harty and Sherfield. As Bills fans we get excited for our players. Around the league these are JAG’s not too different than McK, Crowder, etc. Davis is still a ?  Kincaid will be key if he can become a #2 type option to take the pressure off Diggs.

This is partly personnel and partly scheme. We have a larger stable but again, outside of Bills fans our group is not impressive. Most see Harris and Murray as JAG’s and question if Cook is an every down back. 

Point is we may wind up a much better team. But the moves are not the kind that change the narrative for non followers of the team. If we had signed Hopkins or added Taylor then you would have the people jumping on the bandwagon like we saw with Von last year. 

I'm not sure I'd bet on it but I wouldn't be shocked if it happens, and I think we should have a top three or four scoring offense at the very least.

1. Better interior O-line
  2. Dorsey will be better after his rookie year.
  3. Kincaid will be a short/intermediate weapon we lacked last year. He will move the chains a lot more than the guys not named Diggs last year.
  4. Better run game.
  5. Sherfield will surprise many with his contribution both receiving and blocking.
Edited by Nephilim17

16 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think Beane and McDermott got together after the end of the last season and decided that their previous philosophy of team building, i.e. build a stout defense and depend on Josh to cover up the deficiencies on offense simply hasn't worked.

This off season they invested their first two picks of the draft on offense drafting another weapon for Josh and some desperately needed help on the O-line.  Torrence looks like a Week 1 plug and play guard and has the potential to be the best lineman on the field.  They brought in McGovern and Edwards to further bolster the line replacing Saffold who just couldn't go anymore and was a huge liability.  On paper at least, the O-line looks better than the unit fielded last season.

Everyone is excited to see what Kincaid can do and I expect him to have a great year.  They brought in Harty and Sherfield who are upgrades over the Bills 3rd and 4th WRs from last season and a couple of legit running backs in Harris and Murray to compliment Cooks.  It looks like the Bills have the pieces in place to field a legitimate run game for the first time since Josh has been here. 

Defenses are going to have to make some tough choices when it it comes to defending this offense and a more experienced Ken Dorsey should be able to take advantage of that.

The offense is the focus now, not the defense.   Beane has poured nitrous oxide into the offensive engine and has put Josh in position to take over games and simply overwhelm opposing defenses. This shift in philosophy is the biggest thing that gives me hope that the Bills will finally get over the hump this year.

Last year the Chiefs had the NFL's highest scoring offense scoring 496 points over 17 games.  I think the Bills will crush that total this year.

Bills are only 2nd to Chiefs in scoring offense over the last 3 years, but by only 5 total points over those 3 years despite playing one less game (Cincy after Hamlin injury), meaning the Bills really are the highest scoring offense in the NFL over the past 3 seasons because they would have scored more than 5 points had that game been played.  

And now, Allen is entering the 2023 season healthy without his elbow injury last year and with the best overall set of weapons he has had in his entire career.  And it is possible, this will be the best OL he has had too because on paper it appears that way if O'Cyrus plays as good as he looked in camp and preseason.  

So yes, I agree with you that the Bills are going to be the highest scoring team in the NFL because they already have been and now have the most talent on the offense in the Allen era.  

BONUS point:  I think the Bills Defense will finish top 3 in sacks in the AFC and very well could lead the whole AFC in sacks.  I think people are underestimating the addition of Floyd and a more aggressive style from McD.  And most importantly, our secondary is healthy and poised to be one of the best in the NFL again overall, and that buys time for the boys upfront.  Not to mention, Von will be back in 4 weeks to bolster the pass rush further.  AJE had 6.5 sacks last year playing for a DC allergic to sacking the QB.  

3 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

VW82  has a valid point though. The list of receivers to show a dramatic drop off at the age of 30 is quite long. Diggs surprised me last year by having a career year in a lot of regards after having a drop in production the year before. If I had to bet, Diggs numbers will be closer to 2021 then anything we saw in '20 and '22. But even if he can put up '21 numbers the Bills will be fine. 

The league used to talk about the RB drop off at the age of 30. That has switched to WR's now, I am guessing because of all the extra targets they see in today's pass happy league. And now teams don't even see value in RB's after the age of 26. 

Yep, they've actually had the actual highest scoring offense in Bills history two of the last three seasons. Even in 2020 without the extra game, but offense was up all around due to covid that year. 

We have seen it in spurts. Look at the first two games of last season. The two games to end the 2021 postseason. Or the beginning and end of the 2020 season. They just need more consistency. They have struggled each of the last three seasons starting around Halloween and going into Thanksgiving. 

Sammy, I’ll bite when he has a season less than 100 catches for less than 1000 yards and not until that time.

It’s not just his skills, but by some of the experts at places like PFF and others is one of the best route runners in the league, and a beast in the contested catches dept.  Guys like Hill will come back to Earth over 30 as he relies so much on speed or Ted Gunn.  Guys like OBJ and D Hop are still sought after because they possess qualities like Diggs, yet Diggs has been far less injured over his career.

You know it’s ok to get excited about the season. Where I’ll go along with you guys is we need a breakout year from Davis, Sherfield, or Harty, and maybe two.  On the WR side we need it and we need the TE’s to produce.  I believe they will hence my excitement.

If hate to live my life like some on the board who are pessimistic, because they don’t want to be let down.  Not every negative Nelly is s troll.  Some people are just afraid to be let down.  I’ve been successful in business as I acknowledge realities, but focus on strengths.  It’s fared well for me over the decades.

I can’t wait for 9/11.  If spectrum doesn’t fix their issue, I’ll have ti go ti a sports bar to do it.

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Here is the problem pundits have. 

the perceived weakness of the Bills O is

1- Spencer Brown at RT

2- WR not named Diggs

3- Running game 

We added guards, which will help. But if Spencer Brown can’t improve it may be a problem that hurts the entire O. 

We added Harty and Sherfield. As Bills fans we get excited for our players. Around the league these are JAG’s not too different than McK, Crowder, etc. Davis is still a ?  Kincaid will be key if he can become a #2 type option to take the pressure off Diggs.

This is partly personnel and partly scheme. We have a larger stable but again, outside of Bills fans our group is not impressive. Most see Harris and Murray as JAG’s and question if Cook is an every down back. 

Point is we may wind up a much better team. But the moves are not the kind that change the narrative for non followers of the team. If we had signed Hopkins or added Taylor then you would have the people jumping on the bandwagon like we saw with Von last year. 

I get what you're saying but JAGs come in different flavors.  Other than maybe Kincaid, we didn't add any elite playmakers to the roster.  But this year's JAGs are better than last year's JAGs.  Enough to make a difference.   

Because the schedule is presumably harder, I don't know if we'll win more regular-season games.  But I do think we'll win more postseason games.

20 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I get what you're saying but JAGs come in different flavors.  Other than maybe Kincaid, we didn't add any elite playmakers to the roster.  But this year's JAGs are better than last year's JAGs.  Enough to make a difference.   

Because the schedule is presumably harder, I don't know if we'll win more regular-season games.  But I do think we'll win more postseason games.

Calling this year's JAG's better is only possible because you know how last year worked out.

Crowder was expected to be a huge upgrade and was a bigger known commodity than Harty or Sherfield. His signing last year was talked about much more than Harty or Sherfield.

Additionally, after Davis in the KC game there was a ton of talk of the Diggs/Davis duo being the best in the NFL. The slot was more of the concern and again Crowder being a great signing for that role.

Add in McK and the references to his huge NE game, he was going to be a great gadget WR now that he would get more chances.

Lastly, Cook was called by many a WR not just a RB because of how big a role he would play in the passing game.

So we heard a ton of the same last year. It was not until Crowder got hurt, McK didnt do much, Cook is not a WR hiding in the RB role, etc that it flipped on its head and now we say how much better this year is. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.