The Bills will have the highest scoring NFL offense in '23

Inigo Montoya

I think Beane and McDermott got together after the end of the last season and decided that their previous philosophy of team building, i.e. build a stout defense and depend on Josh to cover up the deficiencies on offense simply hasn't worked.

This off season they invested their first two picks of the draft on offense drafting another weapon for Josh and some desperately needed help on the O-line.  Torrence looks like a Week 1 plug and play guard and has the potential to be the best lineman on the field.  They brought in McGovern and Edwards to further bolster the line replacing Saffold who just couldn't go anymore and was a huge liability.  On paper at least, the O-line looks better than the unit fielded last season.

Everyone is excited to see what Kincaid can do and I expect him to have a great year.  They brought in Harty and Sherfield who are upgrades over the Bills 3rd and 4th WRs from last season and a couple of legit running backs in Harris and Murray to compliment Cooks.  It looks like the Bills have the pieces in place to field a legitimate run game for the first time since Josh has been here. 

Defenses are going to have to make some tough choices when it it comes to defending this offense and a more experienced Ken Dorsey should be able to take advantage of that.

The offense is the focus now, not the defense.   Beane has poured nitrous oxide into the offensive engine and has put Josh in position to take over games and simply overwhelm opposing defenses. This shift in philosophy is the biggest thing that gives me hope that the Bills will finally get over the hump this year.

Last year the Chiefs had the NFL's highest scoring offense scoring 496 points over 17 games.  I think the Bills will crush that total this year.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I keep seeing pundits say that the Bills are the only team in the division that didn't improve or add anything.

Huh?  On the offensive side of the ball, EVERYTHING was upgraded. We are going to have a much more solid line, a potent running attack, and the bottom half of our receiving group are all upgrades - guys who have a resume of better hands & YAC ability.  Kincaid & Knox together brings a whole new set of possibilities, and match-up problems for opposing DC's to figure out.

It's exciting.  It has the potential to be the best offense in Bills history - which probably sounds like hyperbole in light of the '90s teams, but it's on the table.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

15 minutes ago, Success said:

I keep seeing pundits say that the Bills are the only team in the division that didn't improve or add anything.

Huh?  On the offensive side of the ball, EVERYTHING was upgraded. We are going to have a much more solid line, a potent running attack, and the bottom half of our receiving group are all upgrades - guys who have a resume of better hands & YAC ability.  Kincaid & Knox together brings a whole new set of possibilities, and match-up problems for opposing DC's to figure out.

It's exciting.  It has the potential to be the best offense in Bills history - which probably sounds like hyperbole in light of the '90s teams, but it's on the table.

The Bills don't have leadership either, dontcha know.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Success said:

Yeah it's bothered me that they focus only on the things that stayed the same and ignore the improvements.

Sure the starting tackles weren't upgraded (a regular focus of the "they didn't improve" crowd) but the new guards alone should be worth another point per game.  Marginal upgrades at RB and WR combine for another point per game.  Kinkaid paired with Knox could damn well be worth another TD per game but to be conservatively realistic I'll say another point per game.  Imagine us with an extra field goal on average per game.

Of course the counter argument is if our defense is weaker that means less time for the offense to be on the field, but I'm not seeing it.  We "lost" Edmunds, that's it.  I was a fan of his but admit he was overrated by many and had serious flaws he never seemed to work out.  Whomever wins the job or plugging in the new guy from Houston shouldn't be a big drop off.  The age of Hyde/Poyer/Milano isn't an issue until proven otherwise.  They just had bad luck with fluke injuries last year.  Our CBs should be even better this year with a 100% White no longer recovering from his injury, and more experience from Jackson/Elam/Benford.  D-line should be about the same, possibly better if Floyd shows out.

*edit*

Oh and I should add that statistically we were the hardest hit team by injuries in the entire AFC last year, with injuries to about 312% of our defensive starters and half the offense.  Absolutely ludicrous that we're being picked to drop off so far and even miss the playoffs.  We'll be better than ever and show everyone up like the Chiefs did last year being doubted after losing Hill.

Edited by 1ManRaid
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

49 minutes ago, Success said:

The pundits only see bright and shiny objects. "Ooh, the Dolphins signed Jalen Ramsey. Ooh, the Dolphins have Vic Fangio. Ooh, the Jets signed Rodgers and Cook. They're much better."

Meanwhile, the Bills upgraded their o-line, added players to take heat off Diggs and put more variety in their scheme.

And PS: last time Diggs went up against Ramsey, he took him to school. Ditto on Allen vs. Fangio's defense. Oh, and Ramsey starts the season on IR for 4 games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Yeah it's bothered me that they focus only on the things that stayed the same and ignore the improvements.

Sure the starting tackles weren't upgraded (a regular focus of the "they didn't improve" crowd) but the new guards alone should be worth another point per game.  Marginal upgrades at RB and WR combine for another point per game.  Kinkaid paired with Knox could damn well be worth another TD per game but to be conservatively realistic I'll say another point per game.  Imagine us with an extra field goal on average per game.

Of course the counter argument is if our defense is weaker that means less time for the offense to be on the field, but I'm not seeing it.  We "lost" Edmunds, that's it.  I was a fan of his but admit he was overrated by many and had serious flaws he never seemed to work out.  Whomever wins the job or plugging in the new guy from Houston shouldn't be a big drop off.  The age of Hyde/Poyer/Milano isn't an issue until proven otherwise.  They just had bad luck with fluke injuries last year.  Our CBs should be even better this year with a 100% White no longer recovering from his injury, and more experience from Jackson/Elam/Benford.  D-line should be about the same, possibly better if Floyd shows out.

*edit*

Oh and I should add that statistically we were the hardest hit team by injuries in the entire AFC last year, with injuries to about 312% of our defensive starters and half the offense.  Absolutely ludicrous that we're being picked to drop off so far and even miss the playoffs.  We'll be better than ever and show everyone up like the Chiefs did last year being doubted after losing Hill.

I’m finally in a spot to comment.    Everything I’ve read from Inigo, Success, and the above was spot on.

Im incredibly excited about this offense, but the defense will a,so be better in many ways.  Yes, we have the question mark at MLB, but it’s somewhat of tunnel vision on the board and in the media.  Edmunds was not Ray Lewis in his prime.  He’s a good MLB, but we of all places have room for flexibility here.  Milano is still a 1st team all pro, our pass defense minus last year with all the injuries was top 3 for the McDermott era.  Prior to 22, Hyde and Poyer played 95% of the snaps back to 2017.  Tre is back and will be fantastic, and either Dane, Benford, or Elam will manage the CB2.  Taron is considered a top 3 nickel, but here is the change.  

For 12 personnel offenses and heavy run offenses we have Rapp, our biggest safety who is young and talented to bolster and stop these offenses.

Floyd had 29 sacks in 3 years amd will be joining GROOT, and 4 weeks later will get HOFer Von to menace QB’s.  We are going with speed at the Mic, so that’s the least likely to be a problem in the defense.  For those that don’t know Poona Ford, prior to 22 was an effective penetrating DT.  He just didn’t fit into the NT in a 3-4 which is what Seattle switched to in 22.

Im only elaborating on defense as I can’t add anything more than I man, success, and Inigo has already stated to start this off.

Guys, stop watching ESPN, and hot takers on FSN, and so on.  So my point to Aaron, let me come out of the dark with wacky tabaccy on 9/11, from the iconic philosopher, Mike Tyson.  “Everyone’s got a plan until they get punched in the face”

40 yr old Aaron, prepare to get punched early and often by the heat seeking missile that is Matt Milano.  Ping, Pang, Pao!

Well see what the moron pundits have to say on 9/12.

• Thank you (+1) 3

Kincaid is the key along with how he gets used. Running more 12 personnel might help with our line issues, and if Kincaid can also be an answer in the slot then we might bring an added element of toughness that was missing the last few years outside of Josh strong man runs. 

We need Diggs to not drop off (he's turning 30) and for our Oline to not suck as bad. It'd be nice if Cook made a leap too. Offense needs to do the heavy lifting this year because the defense is looking a little soft. 

Edited by VW82

14 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Nyheim Hines was the biggest loss.

Edmunds was a loss but will be compensated for it by running a different style of defense.

Bills did lose a lot of experience and while they can possibly get some back (Marlowe, Klein).

I had completely forgot about him. Would have loved to have seen him play during preseason. 

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

40 yr old Aaron, prepare to get punched early and often by the heat seeking missile that is Matt Milano.  Ping, Pang, Pao!

Can they invite Arthur Moats to be a guest on sideline?  He can give pep talk on tackling QB.

Moats was a very good tackler and tackling is a priority of Coach McD.

Edited by Limeaid
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Kincaid is the key along with how he gets used. Running more 12 personnel might help with our line issues, and if Kincaid can also be an answer in the slot then we might bring an added element of toughness that was missing the last few years outside of Josh strong man runs. 

We need Diggs to not drop off (he's turning 30) and for our Oline to not suck as bad. It'd be nice if Cook made a leap too. Offense needs to do the heavy lifting this year because the defense is looking a little soft. 

VW, it’s not just blocking and our G’s were the major problem.  That’s most likely fixed.  Torrence, McGovern, and Edwards are upgrades over that turn style Saffold.  12 doesn’t just help there bud.  12 provides a mismatch for opposing defenses like ours that runs a nickel defense.  They have 6’5” 240 lbs. guys coming at them vs. small slot WR’s.  This is a monster mismatch.  This is what Beane has been trying to create for 4 years.  I finally splurged with a 1st RD pick.

Diigs is fine and had 1500 yards last season.  In what universe has he dropped off?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.