Bills Signing OL Garrett McGhin (who)

BuffaloBillyG

3 hours ago, juno999 said:

McGhin was with the Bills in 2019 and 2020.  In 2019 he was injured during preseason and was waived injured.  In 2020, he was signed in the Spring and released at beginning of training camp.  He'll probably play a lot on Saturday and then goodbye.

Or maybe be in the starting lineup 

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

This is starting to remind me of Deadpool recruiting X-Force in 'Deadpool 2'.  Also, eerily similar to what happens when X-Force parachutes onto the convoy...😳

Kind of reminds me of when they picked up Beasley and Brown. Everything wasn't fine then nor is it fine now. 

2 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Van Demark played all LT snaps from the time Dawkins exited the game. Doyle going down meant the guy behind him on the depth chart - Quessenberry - replaced him. And he was bad until Gouraige replaced him on the final drive, and wasn't nearly as bad. Beane has to be looking to upgrade tackle #4. Shell would have been fine. Doyle would been ok. Quessenberry is a potential disaster. I'm fine rolling the dice on a younger guy on the ascent, or a cutdown casualty or street FA who can perform better than Q right now.

Doubtful. If there were quality OT play all over the place, enough for starter quality guys to not even make the top 4 of a team and be street cut Free Agents, guys like Q and Bobby Hart wouldn't keep getting jobs.

Anyone released will be of a talent level that will be trumped by guys like Q and Van Demark who have had multiple offseasons working with the Offense and the team.

Maybe a prospect is released that the team is intrigued by and gets put on the Practice Squad to spend time jelling with the team and learning the playbook and maybe eventually they get a shot. But I wouldn't hold my breath on a guy being released that this regime thinks is talented enough to replace guys with experience with the team.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

He's been kicking around football for a while.  He was something of a star in the XFL and has been listed as a guard or tackle for several teams.  He's been on practice quads.  I don't know that he's played any actual NFL games.  He's 28 now.  Perhaps he's developed his skills a little since his days at East Carolina.  In any case, he's probably at best competition for the back end of the roster but in his favor is some position versatility.

1 hour ago, Success said:

I can't believe Beane didn't go after one of the many pro-bowl linemen that are still out there unsigned in mid-August....

Those Pro Bowler's are all still out there for a reason. Age and/or wear and tear. Guys like Taylor Lewan, Eric Fisher, and Jason Peters are just names at this point.

5 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Hey! Torrence might be good. Or not

That’s what I’m not getting about the complaining. They literally drafted a an OG that looks the part. The free agent LG they signed looks the part. Their LT and center are respected around the league.

I mean our only legitimate concern is RT, and he’s been our RT for 2 seasons and is a young athletic freak we’re developing. He’s very raw coming out of the draft.

I get the complaints because the draft picks haven’t been plentiful early but people act like it’s the worst OL ever assembled and we’re in trouble. This is probably the best OL they’ve had during this run.

7 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

So we're looking o to lesser leagues for guys to play at a higher level

than what we have?

No we are looking for a body for the final week of practice and the final pre-season game when starters won't play given that we lost two OL to retirement and injury in the past week. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Those Pro Bowler's are all still out there for a reason. Age and/or wear and tear. Guys like Taylor Lewan, Eric Fisher, and Jason Peters are just names at this point.

I agree on Fisher. He was never that great anyway and he is done. On Peters, this is his MO these last couple of years. He signed for the Bears at the end of August and then the Cowboys in early September. He can still be a passable player, and the Bills allegedly have an interest, but he isn't interested in playing pre-season games or working his tail off in camp and he has earned the right not to. If he signs anywhere it will be after PS game 3. 

On Lewan I am really surprised he is still out there. He was still a solid left tackle in 2021 when he last played significant snaps. I understand why the Titans moved on. The injuries, the age, and the contract. He hinted at retirement and maybe that has put teams off (as maybe as his personality in that he isn't the easiest to manage) but if he still wants to play and is healthy then he is better than probably around half of the guys who will be starting left tackles in 3 weeks time.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Shell more likely than not retired because he knew he wasn't making it and the plan was to roll with Quessenberry and Doyle behind Dawkins and Brown. So someone needs to step up with Doyle's injury. But the idea we need to replace 2 OT's is incorrect, in my opinion.

Jason Peters is going to be 42 years old when this season ends. He is literally the oldest active player in the NFL. The people who said we're linked to him aren't credible. They're a Twitter account that throws things against the wall hoping they'll stick. They simply took the fact that Shell retired and our depth isn't great and made up a rumor. I absolutely don't see Peters happening.

McDermott said he likes the guys he has in house to replace Doyle in his most recent presser. Alex Van Demark performed very well in yesterday's game when called in for Doyle. With who's out there now, they're going to value the lineman they've had in their system over them. Maybe they bring in someone else, but it probably won't be a big name and they'll spend time on the Practice Squad learning the playbook and practicing with the team before they're given a shot. It just is what it is at this point, unfortunately.

McDermott is a narcissist,  thinks he can think everything himself.  It's the biggest reason why the Bills never hired a DC cordinator which is going to be another huge mistake and getting quality depth at offensive line will be another huge mistake.  McDermott finds character guys and thinks he can transform them into great players if they have good character.  How many average talent players are on this team because they're good character guys,  you cannot think like this. Maybe Peters does not fit the good character mold

• Eyeroll 2
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.