Bills Signing OL Garrett McGhin (who)

BuffaloBillyG

15 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Shell more likely than not retired because he knew he wasn't making it and the plan was to roll with Quessenberry and Doyle behind Dawkins and Brown. So someone needs to step up with Doyle's injury. But the idea we need to replace 2 OT's is incorrect, in my opinion.

Jason Peters is going to be 42 years old when this season ends. He is literally the oldest active player in the NFL. The people who said we're linked to him aren't credible. They're a Twitter account that throws things against the wall hoping they'll stick. They simply took the fact that Shell retired and our depth isn't great and made up a rumor. I absolutely don't see Peters happening.

McDermott said he likes the guys he has in house to replace Doyle in his most recent presser. Alex Van Demark performed very well in yesterday's game when called in for Doyle. With who's out there now, they're going to value the lineman they've had in their system over them. Maybe they bring in someone else, but it probably won't be a big name and they'll spend time on the Practice Squad learning the playbook and practicing with the team before they're given a shot. It just is what it is at this point, unfortunately.

Can Van Demark play LT?  Because seriously Dawkins is just flat out awful at this point.  His get off is nonexistent.  Brown may have some upside, its really hard to tell because he always seems nicked up.  And is a penalty machine.  But Dawkins gets beat on a regular basis.  And is also a penalty machine.  We have a serious problem at OT with the season only 3 weeks away.  Is John Fina still vertical and have a little bend in his 54 year old body?  The guy was better then anyone who has played tackle for us in the McBeane era.  

11 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Those Pro Bowler's are all still out there for a reason. Age and/or wear and tear. Guys like Taylor Lewan, Eric Fisher, and Jason Peters are just names at this point.

Taylor Lewan is just a psychotic version of Spencer Brown.  His best football was at my school Michigan.  Can we move Bates to RT?  

1 minute ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Can Van Demark play LT?  Because seriously Dawkins is just flat out awful at this point.  His get off is nonexistent.  Brown may have some upside, its really hard to tell because he always seems nicked up.  And is a penalty machine.  But Dawkins gets beat on a regular basis.  And is also a penalty machine.  We have a serious problem at OT with the season only 3 weeks away.  Is John Fina still vertical and have a little bend in his 54 year old body?  The guy was better then anyone who has played tackle for us in the McBeane era.  

Van Demark has been 1st guy up after Dawkins at LT so far if I'm not mistaken. Has has looked very solid against other backups. This isn't a slam against him, it's just what it is. I don't think he's ready to start right now, but could develop into that. I know @HappyDayshas been tracking Van Demark closely and can maybe speak to that a bit better. 

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That’s what I’m not getting about the complaining. They literally drafted a an OG that looks the part. The free agent LG they signed looks the part. Their LT and center are respected around the league.

I mean our only legitimate concern is RT, and he’s been our RT for 2 seasons and is a young athletic freak we’re developing. He’s very raw coming out of the draft.

I get the complaints because the draft picks haven’t been plentiful early but people act like it’s the worst OL ever assembled and we’re in trouble. This is probably the best OL they’ve had during this run.

When that raw right tackle gets blown up it forces Josh out rolling against his body immediately. It happens A LOT. You can’t run an offense with that as a possibility every fifth play. 

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Van Demark has been 1st guy up after Dawkins at LT so far if I'm not mistaken. Has has looked very solid against other backups. This isn't a slam against him, it's just what it is. I don't think he's ready to start right now, but could develop into that. I know @HappyDayshas been tracking Van Demark closely and can maybe speak to that a bit better. 

That's good to know.  Maybe he is a keeper who will keep getting better.  I will try and watch what he does when I watch the Steelers replay and next weeks game against the Bears.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

That's good to know.  Maybe he is a keeper who will keep getting better.  I will try and watch what he does when I watch the Steelers replay and next weeks game against the Bears.  

IMO he definitely has a path to the 53. With how he's looked in both PS games and the woeful OL play around the NFL, he's one I don't think they can sneak back onto the PS. I would bet someone would take a chance on him.

8 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

When that raw right tackle gets blown up it forces Josh out rolling against his body immediately. It happens A LOT. You can’t run an offense with that as a possibility every fifth play. 

No it doesn’t. He gets walked a lot but not to that extent. He’s a bad RT in pass protection but not to that extent. 

7 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Shell may reconsider

No thanks, the guy quit rather than making any effort to beat out Spencer Brown

Maybe he's so done that he realized he couldn't 

This staff won't, but we should be willing to try David Edwards and Bates at RT all week and against the Bears.  

I'm done with Spencer.  He's going to get Josh killed 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Can’t sign someone that’ll threaten reps for Brown. 

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Can’t see Beane doing it. I don’t think they want to sign anyone that is a big threat to take the starting role from Brown… They’ll go with Brown and Dawkins, hope Brown improves and Dawkins gets into better shape as the season goes on.

I'm interested in who you want Beane to sign with the available FAs.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/tackle/all/

50 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yeah I watched all of his snaps at LT against the Colts and Steelers and didn't see him get beat a single time. He doesn't typically drive his man back in run blocking, but as a pass blocker especially he looks very sturdy. He has prototypical length for a LT and good athleticism, I don't know why he didn't get drafted but that's the kind of UDFA profile that sometimes turns into a winning lottery ticket.

We still need to see him against starting edge rushers to see what we have here. Unfortunately we likely won't get that opportunity unless Dawkins gets injured, or maybe we'll get lucky and Chicago will play their defensive starters for a series this weekend so we can get a better look at him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

In response to signing Jason Peters assuming he really wants to play… even at age 43 he’s an instant upgrade…. And if nothing else solid depth and leadership for Brown and even Dawkins to sustain a long career. 

I don't think I can reliably say he still can play football.  He didn't do much at all getting called up from the PS for Dallas last year.

Most of his snaps were in the last game.  Not sure if he would seriously consider Buffalo (he's a Texan and signing with Dallas made sense),

but I would bring him in for a look.  I just doubt he has anything left.

I however think if Beane would have signed Peters early in FA you would have laughed at him for signing a has-been.

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He had over 200 snaps last year and graded out higher than any linemen on the Bills outside of Dawkins. Come on. 

Here is his game log for Dallas last year.  He played relief for the starter in big win games and his only full game was the final.

You and I look at "stats" differently.  I said I would bring him in for a look.  What is your problem with that?

You argue just to argue at times.  I'm sorry we exchanged comments.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PeteJa21/gamelog/2022/

On 8/20/2023 at 9:00 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think all fans hate their OL except Philly. How is this possible?

I was actually talking about this earlier today. A tackle to play in the NFL is a unicorn.  You have to be at least 6’3”, not more than 6’7”, at least 310lbs, not more than 350lbs, have at least a 35” reach, be strong as a bull and quick as a cat, be able to move laterally and forward and back, have lightning fast reaction times and make sure you can counter whatever guy they throw at you, literally every single time. 

The fun part is, you need two unicorns and 3 others who are at least unicorn muggles, and that’s just the starting line. 

The emphasis on passing has made the demand on the line almost impossible on both sides.  Most teams are foolishly, in my opinion, trying to stop the pass with more talent on the DL.  The smart teams realize, the team that scores the most points at the end of the game is usually declared the victor and they scheme to protect their passer and make scoring easier.    

With the current rules and salary cap, any team investing heavily into the DL, is going to lose.  You have to score first and worry about the rest later.  The difference between a guy like Floyd who will cost a team anywhere from 9–20 Million depending on age and a guy like Boogie Basham will be negligible on the outcome of most games.  Yet a stud tackle that neutralizes a higher end defensive player, will keep the ball moving down the field.  

Where a lot of teams are failing, the Bills especially, is believing you can stop the offenses.  You can’t. The rules don’t allow it.  Now, an ELITE, player can make it harder on an offense and perhaps keep a few points off the board, but there are only a handful of those guys out there.  Von was once one of them, he could wreck a game plan or make a team scheme for him.  Donald, Chris Jones, Parsons, Bosa(s), make impacts.  Paying mid-level guys, is all a waste of money.  

So the short answer to why all fan bases hate their OL?  The team hasn’t invested in it because they waste money trying to do the impossible with guys not  capable of making a difference. 

The Bills have screwed themselves by spending big on Oliver, who has been no better than any of the other DTs on the team, making less than half of his salary.  There’s 5M-8M wasted, Floyd, another 9M spent, arguably nothing more than what we already have. Two picks back to back on DEs, one starts, one is struggling to make a spot for himself, meanwhile the SB champs took an All Pro Center behind them.   There’s not a single difference make on the D until Von returns and that’s questionable at his age/injury history.   So the Bills will have almost half of their money tied up in the D and that’s inexcusable with Allen and Diggs accounting for almost a 3rd of the cap already.    The model is wrong.  It’s being proven around the league.  The Chiefs, Eagles, Bengals, etc have put money into protecting the QB and only pay the elite ELITE defensive guys.  The problem here is, the Bills are paying big for mediocre and consistently whiffing on drafting replacement D players.  The team needs an overhaul and it needs to start with the people making the roster decisions.

On 8/21/2023 at 8:47 AM, MJS said:

Wow, so how did he build a top 5 team in the NFL? The Bills have one of the most talented teams in the league.

13 secs and then the Bengals playoff game,  you keep making excuses ands referencing regular seasons.  Let's focus on playoffs and he cannot win in the real season

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.