Will the dual role be too much for McD?

Success

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

So for you, it's a given he can handle both jobs equally well?  How have you already concluded this?

The same way others have concluded he cannot. It's an opinion.

What it comes down to for me is that Sean is noted as being detail oriented. Sometimes maybe too detailed. I'm certain he has a plan in place for how things will work. And I'm also certain (as he has stated this before) that there may be a time he has to delegate play calling to someone else and keep his HC hat on. He certainly does not lack the mental fortitude to do handle both.

I also look at the amount of head coaches around the NFL that lead their offense as comparable. It's not as uncommon a task as some make it out to be. 

52 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Yea I called Josh Allen lazy.  Takes all of what 1 minute to put your cleats back on?  It's a small little detail but usually it's a lot of the small details that make a difference in success or just missing in any endeavor.  I'd say it's a matter of generation and my generation comes up short compared to my parents generation.  They set a bar high for how I perceive a good work ethic.  So that's what I judge his efforts against.  He falls in lazy category by those stsndards.

Your parents generation was able to buy houses for six baskets of raspberries and support a family of 11 on a single unskilled labor wage.  Who gives a ***** if they never left the house without a wearing a shirt and tie?  No generation ever had it easier.   

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I wondered this myself and even made a little comment on only ten men on the field but to say he can't do it .....first - You can't ask the day after it looked like he can't. It's not a great look if you don't want to be viewed as negative and dismissed immediately. 
Second- I'd say we'd really need to wait and see. For sure not determine after his second game in dual

rolls especially when the two games were pre season. No one really plans and schemes. (That being said you'd hope the players would play harder assuring their spot on the team.)

Edited by Goin Breakdown

my personal opinion is he just an ok head coach and an ok defensive coordinator.

Not to beat a dead horse but after the chiefs loss in 21 had they fired him and hired daboll and allowed him to hire wink martindale and these were the guys in charge I would be feeling much better.

Feels like McDermott has been given the power that the all time greats had, Parcells, Belichick, Holmgren, Johnson, Gibbs, Landry etc.  IMO this is a mistake and undeserved.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, AuntieEm said:

Yea I called Josh Allen lazy.  Takes all of what 1 minute to put your cleats back on?  It's a small little detail but usually it's a lot of the small details that make a difference in success or just missing in any endeavor.  I'd say it's a matter of generation and my generation comes up short compared to my parents generation.  They set a bar high for how I perceive a good work ethic.  So that's what I judge his efforts against.  He falls in lazy category by those stsndards.

You're definitely perceiving things. I will give you credit for having eyes.

25 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

To answer the OP, the Bills have looked indisciplined and unfocused in more than one game where McDermott has 'purely' been HC.

I would like to believe that McD calling defensive plays will be at the very least a slight upgrade over Frazier. We should see more man press and aggressive blitzing. We have to assume Von won't be ready early. So Floyd & Groot will have to get off to a good start. Obviously the MLB situation is still bad and unknown. Milano must call the plays. This isn't even debatable. If we can't disrupt Mahomes, Burrow, Hurts and Lawrence it's not going to be a 13 win season. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

I like McDermott but I think he gives the players too much leeway on being self disciplined when they show they are not very self disciplined.   

I remember many critical of Marv Levy's Clubbed approach at his camps but he at least read the self discipline of his star players correctly.  Bruce was famous for skipping preseason but when the real game began he was all in.  Of these guys maybe Diggs is the only guy that has been consistent throughout.  Josh doesn't seem to be totally focused on football as he claims to be.  I don't even think he needs to be 100% football all the time.   I do expect him to take it more seriously than he seems to.   The video of them pranking Josh irks me in how casually he is taking what he thinks is doing a promo shot for his employer NFL and he's walking about barefoot as if he's at home.  Not a very professional look.  I've had workplaces where we'd donate a few dollars to have a casual Friday as a change up and that still didn't mean we could show up barefoot as if we were at home.  Just thought it was a bad look. 

I want my well paid stars to show up to work and nor feel like they are relaxing at home on their own time. Particularly when they get massive time off each year to do as they please.  

Basically I do think there is a process that they need to adhere to and trust. But I'm finding it hard to believe most of these guys understand it as they aren't doing more than just mouthing the phrase.  If they lip sync to  Whitney Houston's star spangled banner it doesn't make them singers that are as good as Whitney was.

Basically I put at least 75% on the players.

LOL

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Josh forgetting his flip flops is the new Thurman losing his helmet.

Josh is lazy about his footwear.

4 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

I like McDermott but I think he gives the players too much leeway on being self disciplined when they show they are not very self disciplined.   

I remember many critical of Marv Levy's Clubbed approach at his camps but he at least read the self discipline of his star players correctly.  Bruce was famous for skipping preseason but when the real game began he was all in.  Of these guys maybe Diggs is the only guy that has been consistent throughout.  Josh doesn't seem to be totally focused on football as he claims to be.  I don't even think he needs to be 100% football all the time.   I do expect him to take it more seriously than he seems to.   The video of them pranking Josh irks me in how casually he is taking what he thinks is doing a promo shot for his employer NFL and he's walking about barefoot as if he's at home.  Not a very professional look.  I've had workplaces where we'd donate a few dollars to have a casual Friday as a change up and that still didn't mean we could show up barefoot as if we were at home.  Just thought it was a bad look. 

I want my well paid stars to show up to work and nor feel like they are relaxing at home on their own time. Particularly when they get massive time off each year to do as they please.  

Basically I do think there is a process that they need to adhere to and trust. But I'm finding it hard to believe most of these guys understand it as they aren't doing more than just mouthing the phrase.  If they lip sync to  Whitney Houston's star spangled banner it doesn't make them singers that are as good as Whitney was.

Basically I put at least 75% on the players.

Em, if you were around for Club Marv, you’ll remember we typically would go 1-3 to 0-4 in the preseason, and then have double digit wins during the season.

I don’t think it’s as bad of a camp as has been stated all day, but they still have a lot to work on in the next couple of weeks.  One bad meaningless game doesn’t equate to now a horrible season.

I might also remind some that during the never ending drought years of 17, we would go 7-9 to 9-7 and have a repeat 3-1 preseason.

Im not crying the sky is falling yet.  We won’t learn anything this upcoming game as we are trying to lock down the 43-69 spots of you include PS.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The same way others have concluded he cannot. It's an opinion.

What it comes down to for me is that Sean is noted as being detail oriented. Sometimes maybe too detailed. I'm certain he has a plan in place for how things will work. And I'm also certain (as he has stated this before) that there may be a time he has to delegate play calling to someone else and keep his HC hat on. He certainly does not lack the mental fortitude to do handle both.

I also look at the amount of head coaches around the NFL that lead their offense as comparable. It's not as uncommon a task as some make it out to be. 

You were absolute in your response and went further calling out any postern who would even "theorize" that McD may not be able to do both.

You base this opinion on others doing it.  Other HCs have won multiple SBs--but it's certainly uncommon.  Likewise, few HC's are also the listed OC/DC. 

"They exist" isn't a great way to convince someone that McD is absolutely, without question, one of them....as you state is your opinion.

6 hours ago, Success said:

I'm trying not to add to the negativity today, so this is just a question. I really don't know the answer.

Preseason is a time for overreaction, but there were concerning things yesterday:  the penalties and undisciplined play can't just be chalked up to it being preseason.  The team looked unprepared, and sloppy. 

Those things are generally attributable to coaching.  My biggest concern this season is that McD just has too much on his plate now.  He is passionate about defense, and I think he'll be a good DC - but that passion could lead to a more singular focus on just that, since it's now his responsibility.  The rest of the HC stuff might take a backseat.

Thoughts?

I think you need to be much more specific on what you think the HC duties are and which you think could be neglected for this to be productive 

9 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I think you need to be much more specific on what you think the HC duties are and which you think could be neglected for this to be productive 

I'm not an expert.  But it seems to me - being the Head Coach of a professional football team is a BIG job.  You have to wrangle everything.  It's like being the CEO of a company.  I think it would be hard to be the CEO, and the national director of Sales.

A HC has to look at the offense, ST and defense.  They have to set a vision for the team in all 3 areas.  They have to help with player evaluation and selection.  They have to take ownership of all of the little things, like minimizing penalties and ensuring good overall gameplans on a week-to-week basis.  They have to motivate the team every week, and monitor just about every player to know where there head is at. Are they unhappy about something?  How is that injury?

It's a big job.  So is being the Defensive Coordinator of a team. 

More than anything, it's an overlapping set of huge responsibilities. I'm sure McD has thought that through. But I'm still concerned about it.

Edited by Success

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You were absolute in your response and went further calling out any postern who would even "theorize" that McD may not be able to do both.

You base this opinion on others doing it.  Other HCs have won multiple SBs--but it's certainly uncommon.  Likewise, few HC's are also the listed OC/DC. 

"They exist" isn't a great way to convince someone that McD is absolutely, without question, one of them....as you state is your opinion.

Listen dude, if you aren't able to tell the difference between someone being absolute with fact and someone answering a "yes/no" question on a written forum....that's on you. IN MY OPINION.

You read way to much into a simple statement IN MY OPINION.

Really don't need a lecture on "the best way to convince someone that McD is absolutely, without question, one of them." as I feel like you have missed the point entirely. IN MY OPINION.

*Note the above stated is only AN OPINION of someone on a football message board. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.