Will the dual role be too much for McD?

Success

7 minutes ago, Success said:

I'm not an expert.  But it seems to me - being the Head Coach of a professional football team is a BIG job.  You have to wrangle everything.  It's like being the CEO of a company.  I think it would be hard to be the CEO, and the national director of Sales.

A HC has to look at the offense, ST and defense.  They have to set a vision for the team in all 3 areas.  They have to help with player evaluation and selection.  They have to take ownership of all of the little things, like minimizing penalties and ensuring good overall gameplans on a week-to-week basis.  They have to motivate the team every week, and monitor just about every player to know where there head is at. Are they unhappy about something?  How is that injury?

It's a big job.  So is being the Defensive Coordinator of a team. 

More than anything, it's an overlapping set of huge responsibilities. I'm sure McD has thought that through. But I'm still concerned about it.

Guys, Andy Reid, and others like Sean McVeigh have been OC and HC.  McD is also not a new HC.  It’s his 7th year and he has very experienced assistant coaches on this roster.

Im not buying a guy who has been a DC for a very long time.  He also has a balanced veteran and young team.  They can recover from this embarrassing loss albeit a meaningless one as PS doesn’t count.

30 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Em, if you were around for Club Marv, you’ll remember we typically would go 1-3 to 0-4 in the preseason, and then have double digit wins during the season.

I don’t think it’s as bad of a camp as has been stated all day, but they still have a lot to work on in the next couple of weeks.  One bad meaningless game doesn’t equate to now a horrible season.

I might also remind some that during the never ending drought years of 17, we would go 7-9 to 9-7 and have a repeat 3-1 preseason.

Im not crying the sky is falling yet.  We won’t learn anything this upcoming game as we are trying to lock down the 43-69 spots of you include 

This is true and yes I Don't care if they do anything in preseason and if they showed anything but vanilla od find that to be bad coaching.  Just the lack of discipline is my pet peeve but then if they were on point then failed to execute it be a whole different set of fail so I just want the reg same as on to get here so we see what this team really has. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Success said:

I'm not an expert.  But it seems to me - being the Head Coach of a professional football team is a BIG job.  You have to wrangle everything.  It's like being the CEO of a company.  I think it would be hard to be the CEO, and the national director of Sales.

A HC has to look at the offense, ST and defense.  They have to set a vision for the team in all 3 areas.  They have to help with player evaluation and selection.  They have to take ownership of all of the little things, like minimizing penalties and ensuring good overall gameplans on a week-to-week basis.  They have to motivate the team every week, and monitor just about every player to know where there head is at. Are they unhappy about something?  How is that injury?

It's a big job.  So is being the Defensive Coordinator of a team. 

More than anything, it's an overlapping set of huge responsibilities. I'm sure McD has thought that through. But I'm still concerned about it.

I think you may feel more grounded in the conversation if you actually stepped back from wholly moley it must be a lot and realize that McD doesn’t need to know the 52nd guys allergy list personally. he has a position coach, they have player personnel staff, etc…

his job isn’t to have totally and complete ownership over every detail at all times. But if you list it up and he is doing slightly more defensive work mid week, can he delegate more off the travel planning, video room accountability, S&C, or diets etc… to trusted folks? I bet a lot of those cultures and expectations have been built and his engagement could potentially be less than it was a few years ago. 

he lost the entire covid planning piece from his day to day task management 

surely there is some trade out of where he spends his hours mid week and minutes during the game but I think when you define what that looks like, it’s a little less extreme for a guy that’s already built the program 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Listen dude, if you aren't able to tell the difference between someone being absolute with fact and someone answering a "yes/no" question on a written forum....that's on you. IN MY OPINION.

You read way to much into a simple statement IN MY OPINION.

Really don't need a lecture on "the best way to convince someone that McD is absolutely, without question, one of them." as I feel like you have missed the point entirely. IN MY OPINION.

*Note the above stated is only AN OPINION of someone on a football message board. 

Settle down.  "theorizing" is also opinion making---and your post scoffed at anyone who would even theorize that the answer could be "yes".  

you wrote what you wrote

36 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Settle down.  "theorizing" is also opinion making---and your post scoffed at anyone who would even theorize that the answer could be "yes".  

you wrote what you wrote

Yes, I wrote what I wrote. And you clearly missed the point. You keep reading things in based on your own interpretation and trying to tell me what I meant. Not the first time I've seen you do this either. 

Ironically, what I said was proven for the most part true. Look at the people knee jerk reacting that he can't do it...then look at their post history on McDermott. 

I really don't need your attempts to explain to me what I meant. This is a "YOU" problem that I will no longer entertain.

19 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I think not retaining Edmunds or finding a capable FA is really gonna sting. 

Edmunds didn't make plays he just prevented some being attempted xause he intimidated the qbs.  Those attempts are not suddenly automatically completions of throws that are suddenly game beaters.  Don't know if they will hurt the Bills on the scoreboard, likely time of possession may get shifted some but I still am confident Kosh and his guys can outscore any team they face if they solve the protection schemes to give Josh ample plays to choose  from.  I don't begrudge Edmunds his chasing the money, seems more likely with generational talent.  In Edmunds case wonder how much coaching he willingly accepted  over how his mom had him practice.  I always thought heplayed more by how she trained him than what the Bills staff wanted him to do.  Just as Zay Jones had his training and growth impacted by a interfering  ex nfl player that insisted Allen was a no name non talent and Zay was a HoF talent.  I would hope they stay away from talent with JAGS in their family tree who spent some time in the league.  Seems t8hose players are torn between the Bills coaches and conflicting advice guidance from the nf0l alumni in t heir families.  

22 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

The Bills have had those types of games in the past as well. Considering that, I don't think it has anything to do with McDermott's role change. Maybe it's on the players themselves.

Always blame the players lol...it's the HC who evaluated them and put them in that position 😂

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I like Sean, however I suspect many players confidence/faith in him is on thin ice

one of the things I noticed was a 3rd and 3.....and the DB's were lined up 7-10 yards off the line

I know it's preseason.....but seriously?????  AGAIN???? 

Legitimate question. I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'm just genuinely curious: Upon what evidence do you base this suspicion?

20 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

For McDermott detractors here, I don't see why you wouldn't want McD taking ultimate responsibility for this defense.

In his 7th year (?) and with such a veteran-infused roster that knows the process, a lot of the head coaching responsibilities are more automatic then ever for McD and the staff. If there was any doubt, I don't think McD would've taken on the DC role.

Ultimately though, I feel like detractors of McD should be happy he's putting it on his shoulders. Because if he didn't, you'd be complaining that he uses his DC as a scapegoat.

Which way do you want it?

Here is a thought...this 4-2-5 scheme is McDermott baby and is quite frankly OUTDATED just as is McDermott old school philosophy of "earning" your roster which is contradictory since numerous rookies have outperformed the vets McDermott places in front of them.... McDermott is 1 season away from losing the team and the entire fan base imo

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I like Sean, however I suspect many players confidence/faith in him is on thin ice

one of the things I noticed was a 3rd and 3.....and the DB's were lined up 7-10 yards off the line

I know it's preseason.....but seriously?????  AGAIN???? 

If they have another playoff failure or worse don't make the playoffs, then I could see his job security on shaky ground. Maybe Terry cleans house or lets Beane hire the next Bills HC. Certainly, the media and fans will be calling for his head if it's another disappointing end to the season.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

There was a very long and detailed article, this one  https://www.golongtd.com/p/it-was-a-bad-bad-situation

Fair enough, thanks.

I could point out that the Bills then proceeded to have a 13 win season, which ought to have re-instilled some confidence.

Then again, THAT notion could be countered by the ensuing Bengals playoff debacle.

It would be interesting to know the truth of the matter, but I suspect we never will.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Logic said:

Fair enough, thanks.

I could point out that the Bills then proceeded to have a 13 win season, which ought to have re-instilled some confidence.

Then again, THAT notion could be countered by the ensuing Bengals playoff debacle.

It would be interesting to know the truth of the matter, but I suspect we never will.

Indeed.  I'll assume there's a reasonable amount of "slack" considering what happened with Hamlin.  But, the overall coaching in that game was horrific 

I certainly hope we're in for a fantastic season.  We'll see! 

• Like (+1) 1

Some random thoughts...

I think some people undervalue Frazier's contributions.  Yes, he had his faults.  But he certainly added value in some performance areas that will now suffer.

We don't know how McD has delegated his duties.   Al Holcomb has the title, "Senior Defensive Assistant."  It's a vague title but, clearly, he's not burdened with the responsibilities of being a position coach.  I'm going to guess - and it is just a guess - Holcomb performs a lot of Frazier's old admin and organizational duties.  McD, though, will be the chief designer of each week's defensive game plan and will call plays.  

I don't think McD, because of the way he's delegated stuff out, has overburdened himself.  But I'll also guess that he ultimately ends up deciding he likes having a titled DC and either hires or promotes one next year.  

• Like (+1) 1

I am afraid of him wanting to play it safer on offense now (4th down, agressiveness, etc) because he thinks his big brain can call defense better and get a stop/ball back. He had turned the corner on becoming an aggressive data driven HC when it came to those decisions on offense and I'd hate to see him regress on that.

4 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

I am afraid of him wanting to play it safer on offense now (4th down, agressiveness, etc) because he thinks his big brain can call defense better and get a stop/ball back. He had turned the corner on becoming an aggressive data driven HC when it came to those decisions on offense and I'd hate to see him regress on that.

Supposedly the Defense has been bringing more pressure in camp.  Maybe he's turned the corner on that side of the ball now that he has the reigns

or it's my wishful thinking 

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Supposedly the Defense has been bringing more pressure in camp.  Maybe he's turned the corner on that side of the ball now that he has the reigns

They should have a great opportunity to get off to a good start as the Jets OL is terrible just like the Bills. I expect both Rodgers and Allen to be facing a lot of pressure in this game.

11 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'd like that. I'm more so saying I do NOT want him to make more conservative decisions on the offensive side of the ball given that he's more confident HE can outcoach on D calling all the plays and pressures. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.