Will the dual role be too much for McD?

Success

I'm trying not to add to the negativity today, so this is just a question. I really don't know the answer.

Preseason is a time for overreaction, but there were concerning things yesterday:  the penalties and undisciplined play can't just be chalked up to it being preseason.  The team looked unprepared, and sloppy. 

Those things are generally attributable to coaching.  My biggest concern this season is that McD just has too much on his plate now.  He is passionate about defense, and I think he'll be a good DC - but that passion could lead to a more singular focus on just that, since it's now his responsibility.  The rest of the HC stuff might take a backseat.

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

The Bills have had those types of games in the past as well. Considering that, I don't think it has anything to do with McDermott's role change. Maybe it's on the players themselves.

I like McDermott but I think he gives the players too much leeway on being self disciplined when they show they are not very self disciplined.   

I remember many critical of Marv Levy's Clubbed approach at his camps but he at least read the self discipline of his star players correctly.  Bruce was famous for skipping preseason but when the real game began he was all in.  Of these guys maybe Diggs is the only guy that has been consistent throughout.  Josh doesn't seem to be totally focused on football as he claims to be.  I don't even think he needs to be 100% football all the time.   I do expect him to take it more seriously than he seems to.   The video of them pranking Josh irks me in how casually he is taking what he thinks is doing a promo shot for his employer NFL and he's walking about barefoot as if he's at home.  Not a very professional look.  I've had workplaces where we'd donate a few dollars to have a casual Friday as a change up and that still didn't mean we could show up barefoot as if we were at home.  Just thought it was a bad look. 

I want my well paid stars to show up to work and nor feel like they are relaxing at home on their own time. Particularly when they get massive time off each year to do as they please.  

Basically I do think there is a process that they need to adhere to and trust. But I'm finding it hard to believe most of these guys understand it as they aren't doing more than just mouthing the phrase.  If they lip sync to  Whitney Houston's star spangled banner it doesn't make them singers that are as good as Whitney was.

Basically I put at least 75% on the players.

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Like (+1) 1

Probably not.

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

The Bills have had those types of games in the past as well. Considering that, I don't think it has anything to do with McDermott's role change. Maybe it's on the players themselves.

I would say 80% on the players not executing properly was the problem, jmo. Oh and put Williams in at MLB, it won’t be any worse and likely better…

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Agree 1

Will the dual role be too much for McD?

I say yes.  

Despite popular opinion to the contrary, his defenses already were merely average in Carolina with two exceptions, one of which included the easiest schedule in the league from 2011-2022.  It was below average in four of six seasons otherwise and had better overall talent.  

There are already questions out, TBD (to be determined that is) pending this season, as to his overall head-coaching prowess.  

While the other popular narrative is that he's "comfortable" and "trusts" his current staff, which is all but an entire import from his time at Carolina, yet which achieved even less than we've achieved here over the past three seasons, seasons which essentially resulted in losses largely due to coaching failures, 2021 and 2022 in particular.  

I'd consider it to be half a miracle if it isn't too much for him.  But he thinks he's up to the task, but he's not a control-freak.  No.  LOL  

As I've said in the past, IMO this is the season where the wheels come off for McBeane.  

I'm bullish and optimistic about the offense, but the coaching can easily derail that, so my faith has to be in the talent we have there, which under an offensively well-coached team I would consider to be underachievement if it weren't #1 or #2 in scoring this season.  

The defense IMO will likely end up being incredibly average.  But if the offense does turn out to be well-coached, it won't matter.  

This season, with this roster, is entirely in McD and his Carolina posse's hands.   Any failure to achieve properly and play competitively in the playoffs will come back on them this season.  If not, we'll have another AFC CG appearance and hopefully an NFL Championship and everything else will be irrelevant.  

Again, just my two cents.  

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

No, but it will give his detractors something to complain about and theorize over.

Well, when it's so clear that none of our issues are coaching related.  

Good point.  

;) 

Edited by PBF81

15 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

The video of them pranking Josh irks me in how casually he is taking what he thinks is doing a promo shot for his employer NFL and he's walking about barefoot as if he's at home.  Not a very professional look.  I've had workplaces where we'd donate a few dollars to have a casual Friday as a change up and that still didn't mean we could show up barefoot as if we were at home.  Just thought it was a bad look. 

I want my well paid stars to show up to work and nor feel like they are relaxing at home on their own time. Particularly when they get massive time off each year to do as they please.  

I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point, but this comes off as way too judgy. If Josh just finished practice and already took off his cleats, but then gets called out by the PR tram to do a quick promo, what do you expect him to do? Throw on his dress socks and loafers? Put his cleats back on for a promo shot that's only going to capture his torso? What would be the professional approach in your opinion?

For a guy that's achieved what he has, taking the particular path he did to get here, labelling him as undisciplined seems inaccurate, to say the least.

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I say yes.  

Despite popular opinion to the contrary, his defenses already were merely average in Carolina with two exceptions, one of which included the easiest schedule in the league from 2011-2022.  It was below average in four of six seasons otherwise and had better overall talent.  

There are already questions out, TBD (to be determined that is) pending this season, as to his overall head-coaching prowess.  

While the other popular narrative is that he's "comfortable" and "trusts" his current staff, which is all but an entire import from his time at Carolina, yet which achieved even less than we've achieved here over the past three seasons, seasons which essentially resulted in losses largely due to coaching failures, 2021 and 2022 in particular.  

I'd consider it to be half a miracle if it isn't too much for him.  But he thinks he's up to the task, but he's not a control-freak.  No.  LOL  

As I've said in the past, IMO this is the season where the wheels come off for McBeane.  

I'm bullish and optimistic about the offense, but the coaching can easily derail that, so my faith has to be in the talent we have there, which under an offensively well-coached team I would consider to be underachievement if it weren't #1 or #2 in scoring this season.  

The defense IMO will likely end up being incredibly average.  But if the offense does turn out to be well-coached, it won't matter.  

This season, with this roster, is entirely in McD and his Carolina posse's hands.   Any failure to achieve properly and play competitively in the playoffs will come back on them this season.  If not, we'll have another AFC CG appearance and hopefully an NFL Championship and everything else will be irrelevant.  

Again, just my two cents.  

Well, when it's so clear that none of our issues are coaching related.  

Good point.  

;) 

So, McDermott is the sole coach responsible for teaching basics and fundamentals? He doesn't have an entire coaching staff? 

If you think it's the head coach working on fundamentals and presnap discipline you clearly have zero idea what the responsibilities of a HEAD coach are as opposed to coordinators and position coaches. 

However, you did prove my point on it giving his detractors something to whine and complain about. So thank you for being a shining example. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For McDermott detractors here, I don't see why you wouldn't want McD taking ultimate responsibility for this defense.

In his 7th year (?) and with such a veteran-infused roster that knows the process, a lot of the head coaching responsibilities are more automatic then ever for McD and the staff. If there was any doubt, I don't think McD would've taken on the DC role.

Ultimately though, I feel like detractors of McD should be happy he's putting it on his shoulders. Because if he didn't, you'd be complaining that he uses his DC as a scapegoat.

Which way do you want it?

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It already is too much, imo…

McD taking over the Defensive calls was a bonehead move from the gitgo…

The man is overwhelmed… and stressed as Head Coach based on last night’s performance… especially given his focus on penalties all last week in practice… The team needs a reset. 

McD needs a reset.

• Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point, but this comes off as way too judgy. If Josh just finished practice and already took off his cleats, but then gets called out by the PR tram to do a quick promo, what do you expect him to do? Throw on his dress socks and loafers? Put his cleats back on for a promo shot that's only going to capture his torso? What would be the professional approach in your opinion?

For a guy that's achieved what he has, taking the particular path he did to get here, labelling him as undisciplined seems inaccurate, to say the least.

That logic if he just got out of shower he could just throw on a jersey and not bother with putting on anything else because it won't be in the shot??   Even if he's just taken off his cleats he can't throw on a pair of Bills flip flops?  Just seems a bit too lackadaisical and unfocused to me.

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

In a year when he also lost his starting Mike, seems like a bad idea.

Why? 

It actually seems like the perfect idea BECAUSE they just lost their starting MLB. You don't want the architect/expert of this defense helping to pick up that slack?

2 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

That logic if he just got out of shower he could just throw on a jersey and not bother with putting on anything else because it won't be in the shot??   Even if he's just taken off his cleats he can't throw on a pair of Bills flip flops?  Just seems a bit too lackadaisical and unfocused to me.

A pair of flip flops is the difference between professional and lackadaisical/unfocused.

dr-evil-right.gif

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Why? 

It actually seems like the perfect idea BECAUSE they just lost their starting MLB. You don't want the architect/expert of this defense helping to pick up that slack?

A pair of flip flops is the difference between professional and lackadaisical/unfocused.

dr-evil-right.gif

Well I certainly expect that than being too lazy to show up dressed properly for a work related promo. And obviously they almost seemed to want to show how at home he is.  They certainly thought it was an OK look which I disagree with its your job do it professionally and dressed accordingly.

• Eyeroll 1

40 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

I like McDermott but I think he gives the players too much leeway on being self disciplined when they show they are not very self disciplined.   

I remember many critical of Marv Levy's Clubbed approach at his camps but he at least read the self discipline of his star players correctly.  Bruce was famous for skipping preseason but when the real game began he was all in.  Of these guys maybe Diggs is the only guy that has been consistent throughout.  Josh doesn't seem to be totally focused on football as he claims to be.  I don't even think he needs to be 100% football all the time.   I do expect him to take it more seriously than he seems to.   The video of them pranking Josh irks me in how casually he is taking what he thinks is doing a promo shot for his employer NFL and he's walking about barefoot as if he's at home.  Not a very professional look.  I've had workplaces where we'd donate a few dollars to have a casual Friday as a change up and that still didn't mean we could show up barefoot as if we were at home.  Just thought it was a bad look. 

Basically I do think there is a process that they need to adhere to and trust. But I'm finding it hard to believe most of these guys understand it as they aren't doing more than just mouthing the phrase.  If they lip sync to  Whitney Houston's star spangled banner it doesn't make them singers that are as good as Whitney was.

Basically I put at least 75% on the players.

Unfortunately in sports once most athletes get paid their level of motivation wanes.  McDermott must instill at least some semblance of discipline,  motivation whatever you want to call it.  That Cincy playoff game was embarrassing.  Last night was very sloppy and undisciplined. Yeah the players have to figure it out but the HC plays a part too.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, AuntieEm said:

Well I certainly expect that than being too lazy to show up dressed properly for a work related promo. And obviously they almost seemed to want to show how at home he is.  They certainly thought it was an OK look which I disagree with its your job do it professionally and dressed accordingly.

Again, you're just being judgy and not really providing an answer. You said he should put on flip flops. I mean, get real.

You're calling Josh Allen lazy. 

Sounds like you need to get back in touch with reality.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Why? 

Because it takes a lot more handholding to bring a newbie up to speed and It’s really hard to go backward after stepping up in delegation. Head coach is already a full time crazy hours a day job. Something is going to lose focus. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.