Will the dual role be too much for McD?

Success

Bills have been an up and down team in terms of penalties under McDermott.  As much as I dislike and don't beleive McD is the guy to win a championship, penalties are a player issue not a coaching issue. Usually they occur becuase the player is outmatched. Even presnap penalties are just carelessness by the player.  Not sure what you can do. You going to bench Dawkins for a false start??

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Because it takes a lot more handholding to bring a newbie up to speed and It’s really hard to go backward after stepping up in delegation. Head coach is already a full time crazy hours a day job. Something is going to lose focus. 

Seems obvious, right? I think a simple realignment of duties would help. I imagine when deciding to take on DC/play calling responsibilities, he also adjusted and delegated other duties appropriately to staff. I don't think McD said "I'm going to do every single thing I normally do PLUS do all this other DC stuff." He certainly made a plan with his staff and it will definitely need an adjustment period.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

So, McDermott is the sole coach responsible for teaching basics and fundamentals? He doesn't have an entire coaching staff? 

If you think it's the head coach working on fundamentals and presnap discipline you clearly have zero idea what the responsibilities of a HEAD coach are as opposed to coordinators and position coaches. 

However, you did prove my point on it giving his detractors something to whine and complain about. So thank you for being a shining example. 

No, not at all, I blame all of his assistants that were forced upon him from Carolina, which did nothing while they were there.  

As the head coach he bears no fault or blame.  I didn't mean to insinuate that whatsoever.   I don't even understand why anyone would think something so foolish.  

5 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Again, you're just being judgy and not really providing an answer. You said he should put on flip flops. I mean, get real.

You're calling Josh Allen lazy. 

Sounds like you need to get back in touch with reality.

Yea I called Josh Allen lazy.  Takes all of what 1 minute to put your cleats back on?  It's a small little detail but usually it's a lot of the small details that make a difference in success or just missing in any endeavor.  I'd say it's a matter of generation and my generation comes up short compared to my parents generation.  They set a bar high for how I perceive a good work ethic.  So that's what I judge his efforts against.  He falls in lazy category by those stsndards.

• Eyeroll 2

9 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

No, not at all, I blame all of his assistants that were forced upon him from Carolina, which did nothing while they were there.  

As the head coach he bears no fault or blame.  I didn't mean to insinuate that whatsoever.   I don't even understand why anyone would think something so foolish.  

As William Blake once said:

"The fool that persists in his folly will become wise."

While I may not understand your pursuit of wisdom, I do commend you on your complete dedication to it.

I stated this in the other thread… this is going to be too much for him. He’s too analytical and has zero feel for the game. Look at 13 seconds when he was the HC. This was a massive failure of the front office and then you extend him and Beane. I like both guys but this is too much in a Super Bowl window. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Yea I called Josh Allen lazy.  Takes all of what 1 minute to put your cleats back on?  It's a small little detail but usually it's a lot of the small details that make a difference in success or just missing in any endeavor.  I'd say it's a matter of generation and my generation comes up short compared to my parents generation.  They set a bar high for how I perceive a good work ethic.  So that's what I judge his efforts against.  He falls in lazy category by those stsndards.

Nobody and I mean nobody wants to put cleats back on after you just took them off

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I’d rather see penalties and sloppiness rather than later in the season. If that tape helps get them sorted out and ready for week 1 then it’s actually a positive.. Right? 

I’ve heard big coaching names actually say it can be a benefit because you know they will have the full attention of the team. I’d rather NOT be sloppy, but if looking for the bright side they clearly know what needs work. 

I haven’t seen the game yet, but McD handling both positions was a concern for me ever since it was announced. What are the odds that we do NOT have a full time DC next year? I think pretty low. 

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

if the difference between barefoot and wearing slippers after removing your cleats is enough to call someone lazy go ahead I guess

choice. That he was doing a promo for nfl France or so he was told so he couldn't show up fully dressed?  Just speaks how casual the workplace is for the players and I'm not a big fan of pampering already pampered stars who make way more than any effort they give truly earns.

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’ve heard big coaching names actually say it can be a benefit because you know they will have the full attention of the team. I’d rather NOT be sloppy, but if looking for the bright side they clearly know what needs work. 

I haven’t seen the game yet, but McD handling both positions was a concern for me ever since it was announced. What are the odds that we do NOT have a full time DC next year? I think pretty low. 

With most of the team being together for years now I didn’t put much stock in that game. And even if Mcdermott is pulling double duty now  I would be shocked if he’s not already grooming someone privately to take over the playcalling at some point.
Unless the year is a huge success he’ll 100% have a new coordinator next year I would think. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

lets see where they are, say mid season. one can not base judgement off a ***** showing in a preseason game.

Certainly cannot especially as I really believe much of the preseason is scripted and posturing to change some perceptions out there.

I just would love s team that is so talented that they can just go play their game and no one has any answers even with tons of tape

• Eyeroll 2

8 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

choice. That he was doing a promo for nfl France or so he was told so he couldn't show up fully dressed?  Just speaks how casual the workplace is for the players and I'm not a big fan of pampering already pampered stars who make way more than any effort they give truly earns.

Birkenstocks and one of those T-shirts that looks like a tux.  

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.