Practice Wed 8/16 starting with Dorsey interview

Beck Water

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It has to be channeled and controlled, is the thing

Of course.  That's where discipline and coaching comes in.  

As a general mentality, an MLB should be one of the scariest guys on a defense.  Defense is about being physical, and since MLBs are often the "QBs of the defense", a physical, nasty MLB sets the tone for the defense in the same way that Josh sets the tone for our offense.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Lost said:

How do we keep him on the roster though?  We running 7 receivers? I'd rather him take Shorter's spot at this point since he's been invisible all of training camp but I doubt if Beane will give up on his draft pick so quickly

Shorter needs to prove himself on special teams to make the roster. I watched his special teams snaps against the Colts and came away unimpressed.

Personally if Shakir continues to have issues catching the ball and separating I would trade him for whatever I could get right before final cut downs. I don't think the Bills will actually do that though.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It is possible that Shorter will suffer that severe case of hangnail or halitosis or whatever it is that appears to afflict so many late-round draft picks who have high physical potential, but need seasoning.  All around the league at the start of the season

8 minutes ago, Lost said:

How do we keep him on the roster though?  We running 7 receivers? I'd rather him take Shorter's spot at this point since he's been invisible all of training camp but I doubt if Beane will give up on his draft pick so quickly

No telling how everything plays out in the end, but I think Shavers (as of now) is making sure his name is in the mix too. He's done a bit more than Shorter it seems at this point

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Shorter needs to prove himself on special teams to make the roster. I watched his special teams snaps against the Colts and came away unimpressed.

Personally if Shakir continues to have issues catching the ball and separating I would trade him for whatever I could get right before final cut downs. I don't think the Bills will actually do that though.

Shavers might even be ahead of Shorter at the moment.....

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Don't look now, but Andy Isabella seems to have a very real shot at not only making this roster, but playing real snaps on offense.

Shakir hasn't seized the slot role. Harty seems to have a specialty/gadget/WR4 niche. The staff seems to like Sherfield at outside WR more than the slot.

Meanwhile, Isabella keeps earning praise from coaches and players and climbing the depth chart. He was a 2nd round pick. He's physically talented. He's fast and twitchy. He has roster value as a returner. Still just 26 years old. Might be a perfect fit for what is asked of the slot WR in the E-P offense that the Bills run.

I wouldn't have guessed it, but it just might be happening. Andy Isabella. Who'da thunk it?

unfortunately that would likely be a bit of praise to him but also acknowledgment that something has gone wrong and he’s the best way to set the floor- not that he’d be exceptional. 

id love for him to prove that wrong and play better than we even hoped those ahead of him had as expectations and actually raise the ceiling instead of setting a floor though. 

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

Right on cue.

LOL I thought about pointing out it was "general soreness" which doesn't sound too serious, but then I figured I'd do a little 🎣

46 minutes ago, billybob71 said:

media reports on a scuffle or words exchanged doesn't mean the dude is outta control, they have to report on something and this stuff happens every year with every team,  its football, you think Mike Singletary. LT or Jack Lambert were choir boys in practice?

That's fair.  But the report of helmet swinging - excuse me, "tossing to teammate" - then having to be restrained by his LB coach Bobby Babich - then next day having McDermott come over to talk to him - doesn't quite sound like your standard "stuff happens, they're not choir boys, no big deal" either.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

LOL I thought about pointing out it was "general soreness" which doesn't sound too serious, but then I figured I'd do a little 🎣

That's fair.  But the report of helmet swinging - excuse me, "tossing to teammate" - then having to be restrained by his LB coach Bobby Babich - then next day having McDermott come over to talk to him - doesn't quite sound like your standard "stuff happens, they're not choir boys, no big deal" either.

Sometimes a player has the intention of getting ultra aggressive just to prove that he is determined to do anything to win. Then, sometimes they take it too far. I don’t know that they’ve done that, but the key question is “Is this the former or the latter?”

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Met him at camp.  Dude is ripped, but showed great burst and seemed dialed in.  With his versatility as a returner, I like keeping him on the roster.  I'd say try to get Shakir on the practice squad, but we know the Giants (Bills 2.0) won't let that slide

Shakir has more ability to potentially play both inside and out which offers more flex as a depth piece.  He's also under contract for 2 more seasons so there is a cost control.  

He's fast, but he has a small catch radius, doesn't have plus hands, and he's just generally small.  He offers a lot of the same attributes as harty, but harty is better as a deep threat and can play outside as well as inside.  

Long odds though - with Sherfield, harty, Shakir as slot options, Shorter as a 6th man seems more likely to me as he offers more as a variety piece who can probably play special teams.   With Shell retiring i think he can stick on the PS at least to start the year. 

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.