Practice Wed 8/16 starting with Dorsey interview

Beck Water

29 minutes ago, Logic said:

He posted 3500 yards and 30 TDs at Umass and was drafted in round 2, ahead of guys like DK Metcalf and Terry McLaurin.

For whatever reason, he just didn't make any noise in Arizona. He had over 200 yards receiving his second season, which represents his career best in the NFL. After that, he seems to have been relegated to return duties only, and then wound up having a cup of coffee with the Ravens.

The question is: was his lack of playing time and productivity in Arizona a result of his being a bad fit for their offense and/or the fact that their offense and QB play mostly stunk in general during his stint? Or is he simply a late bloomer and a better fit in the Bills' offense? Or, of course, option three -- his good camp and preseason play is much ado about nothing, with most of his work being done against 3rd stringers -- is also possible.

It's an interesting question to me, actually.  Kyler Murray had a pretty good passing year in 2020, I thought.  Isabella was 4th on the depth chart behind Hopkins, Christian Kirk, and the Ghost of Larry Fitzgerald.  In 2021, the Cards replaced Larry Fitz with AJ Green and Zach Ertz, and drafted Rondale Moore, who superceded Isabella on the depth chart and in 2022, they waived him.

A good question is why the Baltimore Ravens released him towards the end of July.  So it's not just one offense he's washed out of, but effectively 3 (Kingsbury, Roman, and Todd Monken). 

From what Dorsey and others are saying, he works hard and is doing his best to "get in the playbook", so what went wrong previously?

In other news, Look who's back?  Back in town? 

Edited by Beck Water

17 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Met him at camp.  Dude is ripped, but showed great burst and seemed dialed in.  With his versatility as a returner, I like keeping him on the roster.  I'd say try to get Shakir on the practice squad, but we know the Giants (Bills 2.0) won't let that slide

Are you sure about that?  Daboll had nothing to do with Shakir. He was a rookie last year in Daboll’s first year as HC. 

19 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Met him at camp.  Dude is ripped, but showed great burst and seemed dialed in.  With his versatility as a returner, I like keeping him on the roster.  I'd say try to get Shakir on the practice squad, but we know the Giants (Bills 2.0) won't let that slide

I'd say, make the Defense take the short side of the 26/24 split for a change, but I think we all know that a snowball in 🔥 is more likely

1 hour ago, Fleezoid said:

Ken Dorsey has a nuance the way he answers press conference questions that bothers me. He starts some of his answers with "Yeah, no....." And sometimes, "No, yeah......" 

I know a lot of folks have little quirks with the way they speak, but this just sticks out to me. 

Needs to use a more definitive "Maybe".

• Haha (+1) 1

Couple updates from Matt Parrino:

During one team period today, Josh Allen attacked the defense by getting both tight ends involved. He threw a gorgeous pass to Dalton Kincaid on left sideline and the rookie beat AJ Klein and made the grab. Dawson Knox caught a TD to end the drive.

It was another spirited practice. Stefon Diggs got into it with Taron Johnson after the CB tackled him to end a play. Diggs stood up and pushed Johnson off of him and then threw the ball at him. Diggs made a few nice plays throughout practice and then dropped what would have been a sensational deep ball TD from Josh Allen. Looked like he knew he made a mistake.

Trent Sherfield had an awesome catch from Josh Allen and Andy Isabella shined in 1v1s.

Dorsey was very complementary of Isabella, saying how QBs are noticing him in meeting rooms because he knows what he's doing and is always in the right spot.

Could we be so lucky as to have unlocked Isabella's potential in his 5th season? I'm still leaning towards it being a mirage until proven otherwise but there's at least a chance the hype is for real.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Could we be so lucky as to have unlocked Isabella's potential in his 5th season? I'm still leaning towards it being a mirage until proven otherwise but there's at least a chance the hype is for real.

How do we keep him on the roster though?  We running 7 receivers? I'd rather him take Shorter's spot at this point since he's been invisible all of training camp but I doubt if Beane will give up on his draft pick so quickly

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Would be fair return for Zay Jones finally showing something in HIS 5th.....3 years after the Bills gave up and moved on

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Lost said:

How do we keep him on the roster though?  We running 7 receivers? I'd rather him take Shorter's spot at this point since he's been invisible all of training camp but I doubt if Beane will give up on his draft pick so quickly

It is possible that Shorter will suffer that severe case of hangnail or halitosis or whatever it is that appears to afflict so many late-round draft picks who have high physical potential, but need seasoning.  All around the league at the start of the season

1 minute ago, Capco said:

I've always heard that you want your MLB to be a little "off" in the head.  Borderline psychopath even.  

It has to be channeled and controlled, is the thing

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 7

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.