Former OL Oher Blindsided: Suing Tuohy's Claiming They Never Adopted Him

BuffaloBillyG

I mean, Oher received a home with a roof over his head. Not inside a slum with a crackhead 

mother and no father. He was guided into having an NFL career and made millions from it. 

im not saying he doesn’t have a gripe. Just seems kind of petty to complain about it now. The guy had a successful career in the NFL and made millions thanks to that family. Without them it doesn’t happen. He probably blew all his money and has no other options at this point. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Vomit 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 9
  • Agree 18
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, mrags said:

I mean, Oher received a home with a roof over his head. Not inside a slum with a crackhead 

mother and no father. He was guided into having an NFL career and made millions from it. 

im not saying he doesn’t have a gripe. Just seems kind of petty to complain about it now. The guy had a successful career in the NFL and made millions thanks to that family. Without them it doesn’t happen. He probably blew all his money and has no other options at this point. 

And if someone made millions off your life story you would be ok with that?

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I guess it depends on how many millions I already made from the career that I had because a family took me in helped me become successful 

Edited by mrags
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 5
  • Dislike 2

8 minutes ago, mrags said:

Read the details of the story and think about how you would feel if that was you.

• Like (+1) 5

Seems like a money grab after the fact. They had no way of knowing he would be in the NFL when they took him in.

I mean maybe there is some wrong on their side that occurred after the fact once big time money got involved with the movie tho...

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 3

23 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Article in the Tweet is actually pretty shocking. If true, Oher claims they never adopted him and tricked him into signing away his name and likeness. Claims he received NOTHING over the movie while they pocketed millions. 

Ouch.  I hope there's more to it, but the allegations are indeed shocking and look bad.

I hope justice is served, whatever that means.

• Agree 4

16 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

In fairness, it was their lives as well. It was the story of Oher AND the family. Not just Oher.

How much of Oher's football money did he give them? I'd assume none, rightfully so.

That all said, something about that family did give me the creeps even back then. Had a very unsettling "white savior" feel to all of it.

Whatevs. Season is about to start.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 6
  • Dislike 2

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Ouch.  I hope there's more to it, but the allegations are indeed shocking and look bad.

I hope justice is served, whatever that means.

Yea, definitely a case of seeing how it plays out and not passing judgement on anyone too soon. But man, this is why we can't have nice things in today's world.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

In fairness, it was their lives as well. It was the story of Oher AND the family. Not just Oher.

True. He was just the only one not being paid for it if allegations are correct.

"Their relationship continued to deteriorate as he learned that he was the only member of the family not receiving royalty checks from the movie, and it was permanently fractured when he realized he wasn't adopted and a part of the family."

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, mrags said:

11 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Seems like a money grab after the fact. They had no way of knowing he would be in the NFL when they took him in.

I mean maybe there is some wrong on their side that occurred after the fact once big time money got involved with the movie tho...

Did either of you read it?  Basically, when he signed the "conservatorship" papers he thought he was signing "adoption" papers.  Also, he only found out about this in Feb 2023, so he didn't wait till now, he learned about it a few months ago. 

Edited by essential
spelling
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Unless they stole money from him…, it sounds like he is broke and making a cash grab…, 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

Read the details of the story and think about how you would feel if that was you.

I already said he has a gripe about it and I completely understand. I also understand that he would likely be dead if it wasn’t for the family that helped him become a man. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.