Will JA play in preseason games? McD provides an update

BillsFan619

13 minutes ago, DD4Bills said:

Would love to see him play a series or two in Chicago, cuz I got tickets to that game. That said, I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah, if I'm betting I would guess we see him for a series or 2 against the Steelers in the 2md preseason game. Then the last game will be the Matt Barkley show lol

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yeah, if I'm betting I would guess we see him for a series or 2 against the Steelers in the 2md preseason game. Then the last game will be the Matt Barkley show lol

Kyle Allen is, for now, the prime backup.  He better get a lot of preseason snaps in all the games.  IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, DD4Bills said:

Would love to see him play a series or two in Chicago, cuz I got tickets to that game. That said, I'm not holding my breath.

Would bet money Josh does not play in that last preseason game.

9 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Kyle Allen is, for now, the prime backup.  He better get a lot of preseason snaps in all the games.  IMO.

He is, but can also see them giving him a quarter or less and Barkley play the rest in the last one. Can't recall Keenum's snap count in PS game 3 last year but just off memory the Bills seem to play their 3rd QB a lot in the final one 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

He is, but can also see them giving him a quarter or less and Barkley play the rest in the last one. Can't recall Keenum's snap count in PS game 3 last year but just off memory the Bills seem to play their 3rd QB a lot in the final one 

I can't remember either, but Keenum was the hands down backup.  With Kyle Allen's struggles I want him to get a lot of work in all 3 games.

Barkley has had his snaps and we all know who he is.

I don't know what their plan is, it's just what I would like to see.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Gregg said:

If he does it will be a series or two next week. He won't play in the last one that is guaranteed. 

Given there's 16 days between the preseason finale and the regular season opener he may play some of the third game this season.  Last year he played the second game as we had the TNF opener but the year before that he played the third.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, DD4Bills said:

I have tickets to that game too. My daughter gifted a pair to my wife and me. Maybe we can see each other that day

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/11/2023 at 11:50 PM, RyanC883 said:

I could be way off, but I feel like none of the starters played at all in the SB years.  If JA plays he needs to be told to toss it as soon as pressure is near.  No real reason to play him or Diggs at all, IMO. 

They played during the SB years, but it wasn't very long, if I recall. Usually a few series and that was it

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/11/2023 at 1:47 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

Barkley didn't earn anything playing against 3rd stringers 

1 hour ago, Herb Nightly said:

Barkley didn't earn anything playing against 3rd stringers 

Nowhere there did I say he did?

Most teams play their 3rd QB and roster fringe guys for the bulk of PS game 3 (formerly the 4th) because they don't want to lose their primary backup QB that close to the season as well. 

Now onto your point, you do also realize Barkley was surrounded by 3rd stringers as well, right? If you couldn't see that he had more confidence and ability in the system than Allen did, I don't know what to tell you. Also, it's more than just a PS game. Allen has (from camp reports) been making simple mental mistakes all off season. Things as easy and as currently as the Red and Blue scrimmage...he had trouble handling a snap. He's playing his way out of QB2 on his own.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.