Is Matt Barkley a better fit than Kyle Allen in this offense?

Tipster19

21 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Neither of these guys are going to do anything if JA17 were to go down for a significant stretch.

The name I would still watch to eventually be QB2 in Buffalo is Sam Darnold. Wouldn't rule out bringing back Trubisky as well if he's cut by the Steelers.

Just say no to Darnold.

He would be too expensive but I'd take Baker Mayfield over both those guys as a backup. 

10 hours ago, Buckets said:

If he's available I'm in for that.

Well, he's signed by the Steelers.

Although the reaction to the 1st preseason game in some quarters is that Mason Rudolph outplayed him, so if that keeps up, maybe the Steelers will trade him back to us.  They'd eat a $10M dead cap hit though, and they don't have it.

1 hour ago, Billy Claude said:

Supposedly Mason Rudolph is outplaying Mitch Trubisky in camp.   I assume the Bills can't afford his contract but he would be a good choice if the Steelers cut him.

The Bills could afford it just fine, his salary is essentially league minimum, but he's got a $4.9M signing bonus this season and 2x $2.3M for 2024 and 2025

So trading or cutting him would be costly to the Stillers.

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Although the reaction to the 1st preseason game in some quarters is that Mason Rudolph outplayed him, so if that keeps up, maybe the Steelers will trade him back to us.  They'd eat a $10M dead cap hit though, and they don't have it.

The Bills could afford it just fine, his salary is essentially league minimum, but he's got a $4.9M signing bonus this season and 2x $2.3M for 2024 and 2025

He will be one more of those guys who make an absolute fortune without ever becoming a big name. Good for him! I’m sure he’d rather get his shot, but this is not a shabby deal to set you up before you hit 35. I guess the real key is, can you add to that after football? Or do you basically have to live off of that like a scratch off ticket. At this rate, it will be his decision. I’m cool with that. 

12 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Is this not the second year of a two year contract?

In that case, the Steelers are on the hook for Trubisky's signing bonus whether they keep him, trade him, or cut him.   If Rudolph clearly outplays him, wouldn't it make sense for the Steelers to take their losses and get whatever they could in a trade for Trubisky?

Hopefully, it is a moot point and Kyle Allen starts looking a lot better.

Edited by Billy Claude

On 8/15/2023 at 12:19 PM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Just say no to Darnold.

He would be too expensive but I'd take Baker Mayfield over both those guys as a backup. 

Darnold's base salary is 1.9 million  so hardly expensive. Depends on what Bills would have to give up in a trade  

On 8/7/2023 at 10:39 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

This is, and has been, a concern of mine. Both guys stink. Please don’t give me the, “if Josh Allen goes out we are screwed anyways” nonsense. If he, or any QB misses an extended period of time, the team is done. This is about a 4 week injury. That’s how you have to look at it. If Josh misses a month, “can these guys keep the ship afloat?” With the division improving the Bills would likely need to be AT LEAST 2-2 in that 4 game stretch to survive. I do not believe in either of those 2 scrubs. When your SB window is open, you SHOULD have one of the best backup QBs in the league. I FIRMLY believe that. Trubisky was the perfect example of a guy that could maintain for a month if needed. I wanted Brissett this off-season (he played great football last year). I would have also accepted a late round pick for Davis Mills. It is a massive mistake, imo, to have these 2 behind Josh. Let’s hope that it doesn’t matter. I’d hate to look back at this year and say, “if we only could have won that Pats game that Josh missed…”

I've always thought might be a good fit 

On 8/15/2023 at 12:19 PM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Just say no to Darnold.

I would take Darnold or Mayfield as the backup given what we have right now. Both of them could help lead the Bills to wins if Josh misses time. I don't think Barkley or K. Allen could do that.

On 8/14/2023 at 1:44 PM, Big Turk said:

The rule only applies to a QB who is carried on the 53 man roster, not a QB who is called up from the PS.

I highly doubt many teams will do this. The bottom of the roster spots are too valuable for special teams to have a guy taking one up that will almost never play.

The difference being the 3rd QB doesn't count against the 47/48 game actives. 

10 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

We have one of the worst backup qbs situations but we are high up on the nice guy list. 

it’s wild a SB contender is just good with this. 

We absolutely must jump on the waiver wire on cut down day.  Barkley & K.Allen combined don't even make a decent backup. 

On 8/6/2023 at 1:50 PM, Bangarang said:

If Josh can’t play then we’re screwed with either of them. It’s not really something I worry about for that reason.

exactly, qb1 goes down at any point with just about any team , and it’s we’re on to next season.  

On 8/21/2023 at 12:23 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

We have one of the worst backup qbs situations but we are high up on the nice guy list. 

it’s wild a SB contender is just good with this. 

No the worst is when a back up guy is your starter … Tampa I’m looking at you 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

12 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

exactly, qb1 goes down at any point with just about any team , and it’s we’re on to next season.  

No the worst is when a back up guy is your starter … Tampa I’m looking at you 

All fair but why does it have to be that way? How much is Teddy Bridgewater making? All we hear is how important qb is yet we don’t care about it past the main guy? The Giants won a SB with a backup. So did the Eagles. 

Keenum and Tribusky, while not close to being good, were guys with playoff starts on their resume. We settled this year and it shows. Pray for Josh.

1 hour ago, Herb Nightly said:

Do you really think a better QB will be cut? I'm wondering about a trade 

I’m sure I’m killed for this but if the price was right on Trey Lance, I’d be really interested. Dude hasn’t played but is showing some decent things in the preseason and plays a lot like Josh. I would rather take a chance on a guy with talent than known not talented journeymen.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.