RIP Pac-12

14 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Just a matter of time b4 Arz St and Utah also go to the Big 12. That will leave Stanford, Cal, Wash st and Org St as all thats left. 

Washington State and Oregon State announced today the formation of the 'I Am Staying For Good' conference.  Athletic directors of overachieving high schools are encouraged to apply.

• Haha (+1) 3

Cal is in serious trouble now... they put up such a stink over UCLA leaving WITH the Pac 12 being viable, so now with the dissolution of the Pac 12 they are really behind the 8 ball. I think they overplayed their hand and are going to pay a huge price.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/14/sports/ncaafootball/ucla-big-ten.html

As collateral damage, what happens with the Rose Bowl now?

With the pending demise of the PAC 12, and the expansion of CFB playoffs, any leverage they had of being relevant is gone.

I'm sure a CFB playoff game will be held there, but I doubt they will be able to throw their weight around anymore.

Brett McMurphy on Twitter: "For those worried about Rose Bowl's ties to Pac-12: those ended last year in final traditional Pac 12-B1G Rose Bowl (Utah vs. Penn State). This year Rose hosts a @CFBPlayoff semifinal & quarterfinal in '24 & 25 playoffs. From 2026 on, Rose Bowl annually will be part of playoffs" / X

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rico said:

Will they still have the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl? :(

https://www.sofistadium.com/LABowl/

Looks like the Pac4 will have to add a team to get their 5th seed for it

35 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Brett McMurphy on Twitter: "For those worried about Rose Bowl's ties to Pac-12: those ended last year in final traditional Pac 12-B1G Rose Bowl (Utah vs. Penn State). This year Rose hosts a @CFBPlayoff semifinal & quarterfinal in '24 & 25 playoffs. From 2026 on, Rose Bowl annually will be part of playoffs" / X

Nothing says "Traditional" Rose Bowl like Utah vs Penn St:lol:

• Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Cal is in serious trouble now... they put up such a stink over UCLA leaving WITH the Pac 12 being viable, so now with the dissolution of the Pac 12 they are really behind the 8 ball. I think they overplayed their hand and are going to pay a huge price.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/14/sports/ncaafootball/ucla-big-ten.html

Cal is by most measures one of the five best research universities in the world (as is Stanford). They don't need a name-brand football conference to thrive. I doubt they care that much.  Sports isn't something that Berkeley lives or dies by.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Cal is by most measures one of the five best research universities in the world (as is Stanford). They don't need a name-brand football conference to thrive. I doubt they care that much.  Sports isn't something that Berkeley lives or dies by.

Their sports program and fans care... just because the research part of a university doesn't care about its football program doesn't mean the OTHERS don't.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

They care more about spreading the word of how great communism is.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

10 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Oh please.

10 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I know a lot of people who went to Berkeley. None care. I think they’re reasonably representative too.

On 8/7/2023 at 8:27 PM, Mark Vader said:

You'd THINK that someone with 18,800+ posts here would be smarter than to bring politics into a college football forum, but here we are.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

So essentially, we are bounding toward a true minor league NFL tryout league that will decouple from NCAA.

I get the evolution, but I hate it.  I wish we could have gotten some releases of EA NCAA Football before it got ruined.

Essentially, UB/the MAC is IA football now.  The question is, would you rather be that?  Or be the likes of Rutgers who will be a bunch of human pinatas in the big leagues?

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

So essentially, we are bounding toward a true minor league NFL tryout league that will decouple from NCAA.

I get the evolution, but I hate it.  I wish we could have gotten some releases of EA NCAA Football before it got ruined.

Essentially, UB/the MAC is IA football now.  The question is, would you rather be that?  Or be the likes of Rutgers who will be a bunch of human pinatas in the big leagues?

UB is 1A football or FBS

1AA would be current FCS which is still D1 just the lowest level

5 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Yeah, that's what I meant. 

Essentially the separation between the power conferences and mid majors is going to be much more tangible. 

Kinda sad when you look back at the old rivalry's that no longer exist and has you said the separation from the "Haves" and "Have Nots"

41 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

All of this movement between conferences is making college football less interesting instead of more interesting, for me anyway.

Maybe Syracuse will join the PAC?

Might as well ditch the old names, and offer conference naming rights to major airlines and aircraft charter carriers?  Some of these new alignments are going to involve a lot of air travel. 😁

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Might as well ditch the old names, and offer conference naming rights to major airlines and aircraft charter carriers?  Some of these new alignments are going to involve a lot of air travel. 😁

That is sad but true Ridge, nothing brings more excitement than that key matchup in the Exxon Mobil Conference

• Agree 1

On 8/12/2023 at 7:51 AM, frostbitmic said:

All of this movement between conferences is making college football less interesting instead of more interesting, for me anyway.

Maybe Syracuse will join the PAC?

No chance 

ACC isn't folding yet and if/when they do they probably join big east for basketball and conference usa or something for football 

38 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

No chance 

ACC isn't folding yet and if/when they do they probably join big east for basketball and conference usa or something for football 

Good story in The Athletic today about Cal and Stanford joining the ACC. It noted that its just a matter of time until FSU and Clemson leave for the SEC since they already are threatening

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/14/2023 at 5:40 PM, Mike in Horseheads said:

Good story in The Athletic today about Cal and Stanford joining the ACC. It noted that its just a matter of time until FSU and Clemson leave for the SEC since they already are threatening

No guarantee if the SEC even wants Clemson and FSU.

The SEC already has a big presence in SC and FL.

So the only thing they add are their brands.

From what I have been reading, the big targets are UNC and UVA.

This would not only add brands, but new markets as well.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cynical said:

I'm not sure how much say he would have but I doubt that Dabo wants to be in the SEC, and I can't say that I blame him. Their schedule is just so easy and they can waltz into the playoffs in virtually every season. 

This would probably not be the case in the SEC.

2 hours ago, Cynical said:

I think the big 10 is chasing them but I've seen reports that they bring Va T and NCST if they make a move

7 hours ago, Cynical said:

UVA is a crap school for football... you'd think they would want UNC and Virginia Tech. UVA to the SEC would be a dumb move.

On 8/17/2023 at 9:10 PM, EasternOHBillsFan said:

UVA is a crap school for football... you'd think they would want UNC and Virginia Tech. UVA to the SEC would be a dumb move.

If you think expansion is just about football, you would be wrong.

It's about "eyes", and what those eyes mean to TV deals.

FB and BB bring the most eyes at the collegiate level.

While VT may have the better FB program, UVA has the better BB program.

UVA -> the Richmond market.

VT -> the Roanoke market.

That's a no brainer right there.

Besides, Frank Beamer retired after 2015.

On 8/19/2023 at 11:29 PM, Cynical said:

If you think expansion is just about football, you would be wrong.

It's about "eyes", and what those eyes mean to TV deals.

FB and BB bring the most eyes at the collegiate level.

While VT may have the better FB program, UVA has the better BB program.

UVA -> the Richmond market.

VT -> the Roanoke market.

That's a no brainer right there.

Besides, Frank Beamer retired after 2015.

UVA has NEVER been good in college football, though... their history is abysmal, like the Gamecocks. They don't have a much biggest television market than Blacksburg... check it out, it's true.

• 1 month later...

Its a shame.  This is maybe the best Pac 12 season as far as the conference top-to-bottom, including the biggest story in college football (Colorado).  Its adding a lot of flavor to NCAA football (which has been drab outside the Pac 12 to be honest).  Pac 12 is necessary flavoring and it is going to be sucky it is gone

7 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Its a shame.  This is maybe the best Pac 12 season as far as the conference top-to-bottom, including the biggest story in college football (Colorado).  Its adding a lot of flavor to NCAA football (which has been drab outside the Pac 12 to be honest).  Pac 12 is necessary flavoring and it is going to be sucky it is gone

Oregon St or Washington St to win the Pac12 is what they want 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.